• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Binky

I thought I would post a new thread as I have already had two for different issues so thought it would be best to put the updates in one.

Regarding his bite:
Its well healed up, we cleaned it twice a day and it has healed up just lovely.

Regarding his 'sneezing fit':
The vet gave him a good look over and said he seems okay. Just to keep an eye on his nose for discharge.
I gave the room a drastic clean and got rid of all the dust as she said it could be, as i suspected, allergic rhinitis.
He hasn't had another sneezing episode since, in fact has hardly sneezed at all. I think it was the excess dust in the room.
(I've had building work done and although the room has been kept shut some dust settled in there.)

However Binky is now on antibiotics anyway for a (what sounds like) urinary tract infection.
A pee sample came back with blood and protein in. I am to do another test in a few days and if it hasn't gone down he will need X-rays to find out what the issue is, as Isobel (vet) said there is quite a bit of blood in it.

This boy. He goes through phases of being fine...and then having to go the vets multiple times for multiple things.
It isn't stopping him trying to mount Winnie again though, which I find concerning as I don't want another bite to occur.
I think I will have to split their cage in two for now but allow play time together. Such a shame as they love cuddling together when he isn't trying to mount and annoying her.

I know this thread is a mixture of both health and behaviour/bonding but I would appreciate any advice regarding separating them.
Normally it seems to be between 5-7am but this morning he did not seem to want to stop mounting. :(

Healing vibes please :( after 5 days of antibiotics there is still blood in Binky's urine.
The vet wants him in for abdominal X-rays to look at his bladder/kidneys.
She said it could be a persistent infection but seems unlikely. So could be bladder stones, a growth, kidney problems, etc.
Binky is only two. I'm so scared. I love my little boy so much.
He is having more antibiotics and then she is doing a catheterisation so his bladder is empty as the calcium in his pee may effect the X-ray and then will be taking a few X-rays either next Wednesday or Thursday. Sooner if he appears to be in pain.

Okay, I'm really nervous. Thankyou for all the good vibes and well wishes everyone.

Off to the vets tomorrow. He will have a general anaesthetic, have a catheter, X-rays, blood work and probably an ultrasound scan to get a better view of his kidneys. £6-700, thank heavens I'm insured.
But the general anaesthetic worries me. As he may have an underlying condition I hope the anaesthetic is the 'icing on the cake'.

He's been ever so affectionate these last few days. Lots of Snuggles and kisses.

I ask once again for your support and good vibes <3
Will let you ll know what happens tomorrow.

Back