• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Attaching run to hutch. Would appreciate advice.

Lemonade

Warren Scout
Hi all,
As some of you may know, I've been having trouble getting my shy bun Socks out into the run as she wouldn't get into the carrier to be transported.
Although I thought I wouldn't be able to, I thought I'd see if I could attach run to hutch, even though not as ideal as grass IMO as it's now on slabs. This is what I've done so far.

ta9agu7u.jpg

I'm happy because Socks has come out into the run within five minutes but the hutch and run are in no way attached so I was hoping for some advice to make it safer. They run covers the gap under the hutch so they can't get under there but I'm aware that the run could be pushed away from the hutch if they found a way to do it.
Happy to leave them like this for a few hours whilst myself and OH are in and buzzing around but wouldn't do this if I wasn't in or overnight.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of metal runs so I would buy a large wooden run and attach it to the hutch with runaround system.

Fair enough. On the grass, I use tent pegs to hold it down and am confident that nothing can get through the top.

Perfectly understand the worry on concrete though.

Fair enough. On the grass, I use tent pegs to hold it down and am confident that nothing can get through the top.

Perfectly understand the worry on concrete though.

I think there was an accident with a dog running straight into a metal run. I know some people like them, I just prefer the weight/sturdiness of a wooden run, particularly as I like my rabbits to have constant access to it.

My rabbit got spooked and ran straight through the bars, his head was stuck. If we weren't there I don't know what would have happened, he's a big bun too but his head went through effortlessly. He had some swelling and was on metacam for a bit, but I bought a bigger wooden run for them so it didn't happen again. There was a big thread on them not too long ago.

I still use them, but as puppy panels to block off the garden for them.

If you had a wooden one you could get a runaround tube to connect them both like Babsie said.

Edit- here's the thread :wave:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?362050-Metal-rabbit-run-warning

Last edited:
I have an attached run ,similar to your set up.
But have a wooden run with mesh so no gaps like
the metal run.
Ours is on concrete which suits better as when on grass ,my 2 are diggers
so always digging holes.
I thing wooden runs are more sturdy and we have put
concrete slabs around the outside so it cannot be moved.
They have access 24 hours as I am convinced it is secure.
Just to add they get lots of free range time as well.:wave:

There was a recent post highlighting the dangers of these runs, parts of it are upsetting though.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...osure-please-read&highlight=Metal+run+warning

I used to use these runs as you can see by my signature, but have now got an aviary style one.

You could get a wooden run with heavyweight weldmesh and either use runaround tube to connect hutch to run, or fasten on to hutch in some way if you could get it made to measure to fit on the front, being sure to block off the gap under the hutch with that method.

Will have a look for a wooden run to replace this one at work tonight.

The door of our hutch at the bottom opens into the run ,so you do not get that gap
where the door is against the run.So maybe get a run with a larger opening to do this.
Saying that I have to prop the door open with a brick
as once it swung shut in the wind and bunnies could not get back in the hutch .

Can't recommend the Runaround system enough, my two love theirs. I know some of the guys on here have gone on and made their own runaround systems but I'm not that great with DIY. I think for what you get, ease of fitting and peace of mind, it's worth it.

c4039a09-9e19-4540-99b7-cbb0187a58cb_zpsbb841f38.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back