• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying/Neutering upcoming

_Jennifer

Young Bun
I have two rabbits, Bruce and Bee and both are almost of age to be neutered so they can be bonded (hopefully)

This is my first time owning rabbits and also my first time having a pet operated on- scary.

I have read the sticky notes on spaying and neutering so I get the factual side of things.

But what can I actually expect? My doe, Bee is very against being picked up or handled in any way, shape or form. So how will I be able to check her stitches/ wound? Picking her up would definitely cause further injury to the wound as she wriggles and kicks out.

What sort of things should I use as bedding? Obviously shavings is a no-no but they both chew e v e r y t h i n g D: so towels/blankets are also not a good idea.

Bruce's neuter isn't worrying me quite as much but he's still a little devil, I don't know how they'll stay still enough to heal.

How long will it take for the wounds to fully heal?

Can they pull their stitches out?

Bee will be spayed about a month before Bruce as she is about a month or so older than him and I have read that he will still be fertile for 4-6 weeks, if they're both healed and fit again before then could I start introducing them? Bee will have been spayed so there won't be the problem of accidental litters..

And any other advice? Possibly a rabbit savvy vet in Surrey, Woking/Chertsey area.

Thanks in advance to any advice.

It's been a while since any of mine were spayed/neutered but I'll try to answer some of your questions :)

I have two rabbits, Bruce and Bee and both are almost of age to be neutered so they can be bonded (hopefully)

This is my first time owning rabbits and also my first time having a pet operated on- scary.

I have read the sticky notes on spaying and neutering so I get the factual side of things.

But what can I actually expect? My doe, Bee is very against being picked up or handled in any way, shape or form. So how will I be able to check her stitches/ wound? Picking her up would definitely cause further injury to the wound as she wriggles and kicks out.

To check the wound you can usually put them on a hard surface like a table, stand behind them so they have their head facing away from you and then lift the front paws up. You might need to have someone else look at it or cradle the bottom with your opposite hand. If you're in any way worried about being bitten wear gloves, that will make you more confident and bunny less likely to wriggle.

What sort of things should I use as bedding? Obviously shavings is a no-no but they both chew e v e r y t h i n g D: so towels/blankets are also not a good idea.

Do they actually ingest the material? Towels or blankets are the best thing to use really. Or newspaper? You want something in some sort of sheet so it won't get into the wound.

Bruce's neuter isn't worrying me quite as much but he's still a little devil, I don't know how they'll stay still enough to heal.

I think most of mine took about 2-3 weeks to fully heal. My Nutmeg had a bad bonding wound at the beginning of the year and that took about three weeks but it wasn't a clean cut like a vet would make.

A good vet will use stitches and then glue so the stitches aren't visible. Usually pulling out stitches is due to pain so ensure the vet provides you with some ongoing pain relief and a post op checkup.

Bee will be spayed about a month before Bruce as she is about a month or so older than him and I have read that he will still be fertile for 4-6 weeks, if they're both healed and fit again before then could I start introducing them? Bee will have been spayed so there won't be the problem of accidental litters..

Personally I would wait a while before bonding. Bonding is stressful as is an op and also hormones don't suddenly stop, it can take a while. Hormones make any bonding much, much more difficult.

And any other advice? Possibly a rabbit savvy vet in Surrey, Woking/Chertsey area.

I think Helen at TRC is near you, they probably can recommend a vet.

Hi there

I use a vet called Gillian Tose who has her practice in my home village - Windlesham. There is a website for her practice http://www.windleshamvet.com/index.html, but her telephone number is 01276 850609. She sees a lot of rabbits every week and she does all of my rescue work. She is a very good anesthetist and uses the V-gel supraglotic device which helps good anesthetists do even better/safer ops.

If you phone her she'll be able to talk you through her procedures.

She will perform a pre-op check for your bunnies so you will either take them in prior to the op or if you prefer, she will do the check at an appointment on the morning of the op.

If you are on Facebook then this note on my page might help you to understand a bit of what you'll need to do post op for your bunnies. (if you aren't, then if you e-mail me then I can send you a word version) https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-rabbit-crossing/post-operative-care-for-your-rabbit/488706554506410

Re the question about pulling stitches out. Some vets (like Gill) will actually glue the wound site so unless there is a problem, your rabbit's shouldn't be able to get to the stitches.

The wounds should heal very quickly and if left alone by the bunny, a post op check a few days later will confirm if they are healing nicely and usually a week to 2 weeks, you might see fur regrowth and a nice knitted scar.

I'd use vet bed or a soft towel for the first night or so after the op and you can also use nice soft hay (not stalky and not chopped hay either such as the stuff you get in bags in pet shops. Soft meadow farm hay (Frosburys in Worplesdon have this by the bale for about £5.00) is fine so long as it's fresh, not damp/mouldy or dusty.

Last edited:
It's been a while since any of mine were spayed/neutered but I'll try to answer some of your questions :)

To check the wound you can usually put them on a hard surface like a table, stand behind them so they have their head facing away from you and then lift the front paws up. You might need to have someone else look at it or cradle the bottom with your opposite hand. If you're in any way worried about being bitten wear gloves, that will make you more confident and bunny less likely to wriggle.

Do they actually ingest the material? Towels or blankets are the best thing to use really. Or newspaper? You want something in some sort of sheet so it won't get into the wound.

I think most of mine took about 2-3 weeks to fully heal. My Nutmeg had a bad bonding wound at the beginning of the year and that took about three weeks but it wasn't a clean cut like a vet would make.

A good vet will use stitches and then glue so the stitches aren't visible. usually pulling out stitches is due to pain so ensure the vet provides you with some ongoing pain relief and a post checkup.

Personally I would wait a while before bonding. Bonding is stressful as is an op and also hormones don't suddenly stop, it can take a while. Hormones make any bonding much, much more difficult.

I think Helen at TRC is near you, they probably can recommend a vet.

ha ha Elena - you typed quicker than me! And I echo all you have posted!

When my 2 girls were spayed as they hate being picked up I checked their wounds by giving them treats to make them stretch up to get them, it meant I could do it without picking them up :D

Thanks everyone for your advice, I can't reply to each personally but I will take it all into account. I will also look into the vet you have suggested :D

Thank you again, I'm sure I'll be posting again around the time of the op's! :lol:

Back