• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shooter acting weird so upset:(

xoxShooterxox

Warren Scout
Hi,

Shooter has been acting weird this morning.
He only moves often and when he does my parents say he is fine
He made a unusual noise- it sounded like he was sighing while angry
He pooped once- it was soft and it wasn't abnormally shape and wet
He is moving usually- like backwards and forwards as if he is trying to get a poop out
Worst of all.. He is not eating
And he is a but grumpy
EDIT: he also has a wet bottom

I'm extremely scared I'm gonna take him to the vets later cause I have to wait a bit more apparently.
I'm super angry and annoyed at my parents as they don't seem to take it seriously.:(:cry:

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I think he needs to see a vet now. Can you try to convince your parents that it is very urgent to get a rabbit that is not eating to the vets?
Perhaps show them some info about bunnies that stop eating etc.

Hope he gets to see a vet soon. x

I dont want to frighten you but you NEED to get him to a vet NOW! Seriously waiting ANY longer may result in him dying!!
What you are describig sounds very much like stasis or bloat two illnessess ehich can be fatal if not treated quickly.
The vet should do a full health check including teeth and an abdominal palpatation to check for blockages.
If there are no blockages found he should receive

Pain relief- metacam or ketofen
Gut stimulat- metaclopramide and or zantac
Sub cut fluids if ge is dehydrated
A recovery feed
Fibre plex
And you can administer Infacol at home after checking with the vets.

Seriously please get him to the vets he is suffering.

Have you spoken to the vet? I'd suggest calling the vet and describing the symptoms, any good vet will tell you that a rabbit not pooping or eating needs to come in straight away and it's likely your parents will be more inclined to listen to a vets advice than yours. If you need an excuse to call just say you're checking the open times or similar :)

Vet came down to our house and checked up on him- gave him a massage in water.
He was constipated and she is coming back later to check on him again.

I feel so relieved and he has gotten better:)

Hope Shooter is continuing to improve, well done for getting him the vet, can't have been an easy situation.

A massage in water, do you mean bunny was placed in a container of water for a massage? That seems like a very odd treatmeant to me. Do try to keep Shooter nice and warm while he dries out. Hopefully he'll feel better soon.

:shock: I misread the post, I thought it meant the bun had been given some water and massaged :?

Sorry!
We filled a sink with a small amount if water and she massaged his stomach the get everything moving. It worked!!! He is back to eating a lot of hay and popping everywhere:roll: I have to pick it up while he is running and dropping it out at the same time!!!
Lol

Thanks for advice:)
Have to buy her a bunch of flowers- she did it all for free and got me back to my job of being a poppet scooper:p

So glad to hear it worked :thumb: How strange about using water though. I suppose it might work if it's warm. A bit like if we have a hot drink it can help move things along. Very odd.

Back