• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aaaagh, why can't I be satisfied???

Sarah1989

Warren Veteran
With the bunnies I have? I love my buns dearly and they keep me on my toes. Plus I have a ton of plans for them which includes bonding Slipper & Blackavar and eventually moving them all upstairs into my former snake room (all snakes are being sold and the room will be empty first, obviously) Both sets of bunnies will have brand new, LARGE cages and attached runs - http://www.petsathome.com/shop/will...bit-hutch-by-pets-at-home-(online-only)-16078

Everyone has had their injections for this year, Blackavar & Blueberry are recovering nicely from their neuters, Badger is going in on Tuesday for his/her neuter/spay and everyone is insured. Everyone is happy, healthy and costing me an arm and leg :roll::lol:

So WHY do I want to adopt these two black rex brothers in my local P@H adoption centre??? They've been there a lot longer than other buns I see in there and I know black bunnies are over looked. (I love black bunnies!) Plus I just discovered Rexes (I heard they're velvety soft? I love velvet!) It kind of feels like they're waiting for me....

BUT, my OH would kill me (he forbade me from getting any more after Slipper as he didn't want any more...then came Badger & Blueberry and then Blackavar). Plus I cannot afford any more bunny insurance so these two would have to be uninsured and I really need to SAVE money not spend more on cages & things for two more bunnies. I'm getting my house redecorated (it does need it - previous occupants left it a mess and an unneutered ex stud bunny spraying everywhere....) and taking a pay cut when I already struggle to make ends meet.

I know I'm reckless & impulsive, so I'm desperately trying to be sensible and think of doing the right and sensible thing, but these bunnies just stick in my head. I haven't dared make enquiries or ask for cuddles in case that seals it and I bring them home. So I don't know if they're neutered/injected etc.

People, please talk some sense into me! I know I shouldn't look when I go in, but I can't help it, I want to see cute fluffy bunnies and these guys have been there ages. I WANT TO RESCUE THEM!!!! But I can't :cry: aaaaaaagh!!!! (I've even thought of names for them, I'm hopeless :evil:)

Aw I do understand, I'm pretty much the same! But there comes a point when you have to tell yourself no. Those sound like pretty good reasons not to get more. I'm in the same boat, I have an empty set up even, but I can't afford more at the moment.

Why not volunteer at a local rescue/ sanctuary to partially satisfy your desire? Just don't bring any bunnies home.:D

:lol::lol::lol: I'd be terrible for that. I did my work experience at my friends reptile shop and everyday I came home pestering my mum for another snake I'd fallen in love with that day! I have an addictive personality, not good when coupled with reckless impulsiveness and being insatiable :oops: I have to have a "thing" to obsess over constantly to occupy myself until I get bored and move onto something else :oops: my buns hold my interest because they love me, I've finally fallen out of love with snakes as a result (was obsessed with those from being 5/6 until Dexter died two years ago). This self control and sensibility is new, but it's driving me crackers. I'm sitting here thinking s0d it, tomorrow I'll go and if they're there, just buy them and deal with the fall out later. But I want to be a good bunny owner and I know it won't do them or mine any favours doing this which is the only thing that has stayed my hand this long! I really wish I could walk in tomorrow and they've gone. Yes, I'd be gutted, but then it's out of my hands.

Aw I do understand, I'm pretty much the same! But there comes a point when you have to tell yourself no. Those sound like pretty good reasons not to get more. I'm in the same boat, I have an empty set up even, but I can't afford more at the moment.

Ooooo, how do you resist when you have an empty cage looking at you? I wouldn't be able to, my self control sucks :oops:

Ooooo, how do you resist when you have an empty cage looking at you? I wouldn't be able to, my self control sucks :oops:

Well it needs a run to go with it. But DH is out of work at the moment, and we've just got Lottie (cocker spaniel), so more animals are definitely not happening for now. And being honest, all the buns, a new dog and a fish feels like enough at the moment anyway.

You can't adopt any more buns, otherwise I'll have to redo your signature and they won't fit on :lol:
Took a look at the link of the hutches you were thinking of, I'd recommend a traditional 6ft x 2ft hutch and attached run rather than one of those, they'd be getting more hutch space and it would be easier to clean out too. Or how about a shed split in 2 half for each pair and 2 runs attached. I love having mine in a shed, I can go and sit in with them now :love:

Took a look at the link of the hutches you were thinking of, I'd recommend a traditional 6ft x 2ft hutch and attached run rather than one of those, they'd be getting more hutch space and it would be easier to clean out too. Or how about a shed split in 2 half for each pair and 2 runs attached. I love having mine in a shed, I can go and sit in with them now :love:

I do agree with this - for the same money you could get a 6x2 hutch with attached 6x4 run from somewhere like happyhutch, which is better quality and gives more space...those ones in the link look like a good idea but actually the sheltered space (i.e the hutch part) is quite small, meaning that bunnies don't have much space to stay, potter, rest, go to the loo etc when the weather is grim and the floor outside is cold and wet...plus it's not so easy to access the run area.

Good luck with all your forthcoming neuters, bondings etc!

Its so difficult isn't it. When I was in Cornwall a couple of months ago I went into the P@H in Bodmin. There was a gorgeous little boy bun called Sam in the adoption section. I so wanted to bring him home. They were feeding the buns at the tie and left his door open so I could stroke him. He had such a sad background it broke my heart to say good bye.

I do agree with this - for the same money you could get a 6x2 hutch with attached 6x4 run from somewhere like happyhutch, which is better quality and gives more space...those ones in the link look like a good idea but actually the sheltered space (i.e the hutch part) is quite small, meaning that bunnies don't have much space to stay, potter, rest, go to the loo etc when the weather is grim and the floor outside is cold and wet...plus it's not so easy to access the run area.

Good luck with all your forthcoming neuters, bondings etc!

I will check out happyhutch in that case, and also go visit the housing section on here. :thumb: I just went through the P@H website one lunchtime and worked out this was the largest hutch/run they had as none of the others were large enough, even the hutch + run combo. They are indoor bunnies - although this is a hutch, they will be going in one of my bedrooms so the weather won't be an issue luckily. I've given up on indoor cages as they're too small! Seriously, I check out housing every time I go in P@H and I'm shocked at the size of the cages now I've realised how big they really need to be!

You can't adopt any more buns, otherwise I'll have to redo your signature and they won't fit on :lol:

:lol: oh well in that case......

The shed would be an excellent idea, except they are indoor bunnies and unless I'm told to by my landlord, they belong in here with me :love: I actually have plans for both pairs to have hutch/run combination, but one pair to have free rein of the bedroom one day and the other pair the next. Just ssssshhhh, don't tell OH :lol:

Its so difficult isn't it. When I was in Cornwall a couple of months ago I went into the P@H in Bodmin. There was a gorgeous little boy bun called Sam in the adoption section. I so wanted to bring him home. They were feeding the buns at the tie and left his door open so I could stroke him. He had such a sad background it broke my heart to say good bye.

:cry: poor Sam. I hope he has a nice new home now though :thumb:

I don't think these two have names, I haven't dared look too closely. I'm so close this morning to going "s0d it" and going to get them, the only thing holding me back is that I'd need to buy another cage for them, which would be temporary as it wouldn't be suitable long term and so it would cost me a fortune and I really need to STOP SPENDING!!!!!! Sorry, I have to do that to try and drum it into my stupid brain.

I always check out the adoption centre (why?!) and see a bunny I feel sorry for, but I can usually resist, usually because they've gone when I go back. I felt sorry for a giant bunny the other month, but when I went back, she'd gone so it was fine. These guys are stuck in a cage I wouldn't put one of them in, never mind two, and they've been there ages and they're black Rexes - I'm a big believer in fate and things and the day before I saw them, I was thinking about Rexes and wishing I had space for another bunny so I could get one and then I go into P@H and there they are. And they still are! It's like it's meant to be or something and they're calling out to me "please rescue us"

I'd love to go in today to check if they're still there and them be gone so it's out of my hands. BUT, I'll only be going in to check on them and if they're still there, it'll just make my life harder to leave them. I need to win the lottery!!

Ahh, I see I thought you meant they were going to be moved outside. Saw this someone linked the other day http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=111212412149
But as they are indoors how about xxl dog crates with puppy pens attached for a run? You can often pick up 2nd hand dog crates on preloved/ebay/gumtree.

That's worth a thought :thumb: Might pop a thread in the the housing and lurk in there at other peoples threads for ideas too.

That's worth a thought :thumb: Might pop a thread in the the housing and lurk in there at other peoples threads for ideas too.

I love looking through the housing sticky for inspiration. You'll have to start shopping online for pet food then you won't be tempted by the adoption section, which in some cases is old stock I believe :(

I love looking through the housing sticky for inspiration. You'll have to start shopping online for pet food then you won't be tempted by the adoption section, which in some cases is old stock I believe :(

I think you're right! I can just about resist the baby bunnies as I'm into adoption now thanks to everyone on here opening my eyes to this so I can square it with myself that I'm not doing the buns any favours by buying them, but adopting instead.

My ex and I once adopted a bunny from them who had been old stock - he'd had to be separated for an operation and couldn't go back in, so went in the adoption centre. These two, though, I think have been given to them as they are Rexes and P@H only seem to sell dwarf lops. I think I may have seen the odd Dutch once or twice, but usually they're lops.

:lol::lol::lol: I'd be terrible for that. I did my work experience at my friends reptile shop and everyday I came home pestering my mum for another snake I'd fallen in love with that day! I have an addictive personality, not good when coupled with reckless impulsiveness and being insatiable :oops: I have to have a "thing" to obsess over constantly to occupy myself until I get bored and move onto something else :oops: my buns hold my interest because they love me, I've finally fallen out of love with snakes as a result (was obsessed with those from being 5/6 until Dexter died two years ago). This self control and sensibility is new, but it's driving me crackers. I'm sitting here thinking s0d it, tomorrow I'll go and if they're there, just buy them and deal with the fall out later. But I want to be a good bunny owner and I know it won't do them or mine any favours doing this which is the only thing that has stayed my hand this long! I really wish I could walk in tomorrow and they've gone. Yes, I'd be gutted, but then it's out of my hands.

Totally know what you mean. Luckily animals seem to keep me contented in a way that so much else cant. I am ALWAYS wanting more though (just a couple of belgian hares or a hand reared wildie for instance oh and a tortoiseshell cat - fluffy).

I try to concentrate on the ones I have and use my energy to make their lives as interesting as I can.

There are a limitless amount of incredible animals out there for us to want. I love rexes too, oh dear!

Totally know what you mean. Luckily animals seem to keep me contented in a way that so much else cant. I am ALWAYS wanting more though (just a couple of belgian hares or a hand reared wildie for instance oh and a tortoiseshell cat - fluffy).

I try to concentrate on the ones I have and use my energy to make their lives as interesting as I can.

There are a limitless amount of incredible animals out there for us to want. I love rexes too, oh dear!

It was fine when it was snakes, they take up less room & a lot less time consuming to care for. I always had somewhere between 20-30 and they had their own room & I devoted one day a week to them & they cost less. But they don't care who I am, unlike my bunnies. They just sit there waiting for dinner and I could be anyone. My bunnies love me and they're far more rewarding as a consequence. I eas happy with my four until I saw these. Then is be happy for a while then see something else and then it'd be 8 etc. I have to draw the line somewhere but it's sooooooo hard!!

Plus I just discovered Rexes (I heard they're velvety soft? I love velvet!)
They are lusher than lush. Luxurious infact!! ;)
I guess that's not really what you want to hear though :lol:

P&H only quarantine new 'stock' for 3 days before it's put out front for sale. Consequences can be fatal (and we're to us) when you don't know what you might be bringing through your door and passing on to your other pets.

Don't by any animal from them or establishments like them is my advice.

They are lusher than lush. Luxurious infact!! ;)
I guess that's not really what you want to hear though :lol:

P&H only quarantine new 'stock' for 3 days before it's put out front for sale. Consequences can be fatal (and we're to us) when you don't know what you might be bringing through your door and passing on to your other pets.

Don't by any animal from them or establishments like them is my advice.

Oh dear, another point in their favour :? OH has said he won't move in with me if I get them though, he doesn't like pet bunnies, they're just food to him :(

Back