• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent help please !!!! New born bunnys !!!

pete1971

New Kit
Hi guys !.... Need urgent help please if there is anyone who can help!...

Mum bunny has died during giving birth! one of babies died but have 3 Survuived ... how do i now look after them! what milk can i give them ? would they be ok with kitten milk ?.....

Thanks for any advice !

Pete

Ohh dear :( RIP bunnies.

I have no idea about hand rearing but think a few people have done it here. In the meantime can you call a vets and ask them for advice on feeding?

Have you brought the babies into the house for the warmth?

I think they can have kitten milk and need probiotics. I'll try and get some more knowledgeable people.

Sorry for the loss if the mum. :(

where are you?

Hand raising babies is extremely difficult and if you are close to an experienced rescue it may be worth trying to get them there asap for them to take over.

They will need heat pads for warmth, powedered puppy milk (we make up double strength Royal Canin as it has less sugars and is very fatty), 1ml syringes for feeding, etc etc

I am so sorry to hear about the death.

Sorry no idea...but there are definately some on here who will know...I'd ring a vet in the meantime and keep them warm if you can xx

The vets will have an emergency number, you can probably find it by ringing the normal number and getting an answer machine message. It won't cost anything to talk to them.

Hi! ... Yes Rabits are in the warm! .. just called vet to see if they have it in stock !

Sorry I posted at the same time as you. The ideal would be to find a nursing cat or rabbit maybe in a local rescue who could rear them. I would ring any local rescues in the morning if you can.

Sorry I have no experience in caring for new born bunnies.

Fingers crossed that they survive. Bless their little bunny hearts.

best chance of survival for baby bunnies is to find a foster doe that will take them (try contacting your vet they may know rescues or breeders in the area that can help), after that someone with experience of hand-rearing is better (sadly its a difficult technique and until its right there are usually losses :( )

I've found cimicat works really well as a milk supplement mixed with added rabbit pro-biotics, and make sure you're using a bottle with a very small teat not a syringe. However its a long hard road and the rabbits take much longer to mature, mentally and physically. If you can't find anyone to foster them, do your best for them feeding little and often works well (I tend to feed 4 times a day, mothers do it less often but overfeeding can cause bloat and I find it easier to avoid this way).

Hi! sorry for late reply! have been busy. thank you for all posts... have had a chat to vet and kitten milk is ok for them.... parsnipbun i am in Chester ... thanks again. will keep you posted .

Hope the babies are ok? I have no experience with babies, but I've just had a look on rabbit rehome, your nearest rescues are
J
Altrincham RSPCA
http://www.rspca-altrincham-cheshire.org.uk/contact.html

SAA manchester
http://www.saarescue.co.uk

Manchester and Salford RSPCA
http://www.manchesterandsalfordrspca.org.uk

Tameside Rabbit and Guinea pig rescue
http://www.tamesiderabbitandguineapigrescue.info

RSPCA Wirral
http://rspcawirral.webs.com

RSPCA Macclesfield SE Cheshire branch
http://www.rspca-macclesfield.org.uk/rehoming.html

I've no idea if they will be able to help, and I have no experience with any of them apart from Macclesfield RSPCA and that was just that I adopted 2 of mine from there.

when feeding make sure the babies are 'sucking' and you're not 'squirting' raise them up so they are verticle not laying down (gives them the best chance of keeping the fluid out of their lungs), add extra pro-biotic (bio-lapis is good) designed for rabbits as unfortunately there is no milk substitute that is as rich as rabbits milk (being one of the richest mammals milks so the extra protection is vital)

Hi! sorry for late reply! have been busy. thank you for all posts... have had a chat to vet and kitten milk is ok for them.... parsnipbun i am in Chester ... thanks again. will keep you posted .

Unless you have experience in this I really would try and get them to a rescue that does have experience as it is very hard to do -

kitten milk in standard milk formula is not rich enough - thats why we use powedered and make it up stronger than it says - that way they get a bit more fats etc without having to take in tons of liquid.

You will also need a probiotic such as avipro to get the gut bacteria - they are not like cats.

(query whether vet has hand reared rabbits??)

I agree with the others, we've hand reared a week old baby and used double strength cimicat with a probiotic added, and fed her at 3 hourly intervals originally, dropping it to 6 hourly as she got older.

Unless you have experience in this I really would try and get them to a rescue that does have experience as it is very hard to do -

kitten milk in standard milk formula is not rich enough - thats why we use powedered and make it up stronger than it says - that way they get a bit more fats etc without having to take in tons of liquid.

You will also need a probiotic such as avipro to get the gut bacteria - they are not like cats.

(query whether vet has hand reared rabbits??)
pls listen to this advice good luck though

So sorry to hear about the losses.

I am going to share this thread with my FB friends who don't come on RU (we live in Wirral/Cheshire areas) so will see if they know of anyone who can help/offer advice.

I hope the babies make it.

Speak to the small animal section at LeaHurst, Chester High Road or ChesterGates referral hospital, opposite Costco near the end of the M56. Either of those are much closer to you and are excellent. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, one of my friends asked someone who replied:

"you need to use a substitute cat milk such as cimicat from the vets and feed twice a day (mum would do it once a day but her milk is very rich). The babies' wee/poo areas need stimulating with slightly warm, damp cotton wool after their feed too. Rearing baby bunnies is extremely difficult "

Hope it helps.

Back