• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The woman who gave birth to rabbits (not really)

AnyBunny

Warren Scout
In 1726, 26 year old mother-of-three Mary Toft gave birth to a rabbit. And then another. And then another. All were stillborn, some were just rabbit body parts, but all were the fruit of her loins.

Local surgeon John Howard confirmed the phenomenon, delivering several rabbits himself. He wrote of his findings to the Secretary of George I. The King, intrigued, sent his personal anatomist Nathaniel St Andre to investigate - and he soon concluded that Toft was telling the truth and was preternaturally giving birth to rabbits.

It's a BBC radio play, in case you're wondering! :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b010fd88/Afternoon_Drama_Mary_Tofts_Rabbit_Tale/

In 1726, 26 year old mother-of-three Mary Toft gave birth to a rabbit. And then another. And then another. All were stillborn, some were just rabbit body parts, but all were the fruit of her loins.

Local surgeon John Howard confirmed the phenomenon, delivering several rabbits himself. He wrote of his findings to the Secretary of George I. The King, intrigued, sent his personal anatomist Nathaniel St Andre to investigate - and he soon concluded that Toft was telling the truth and was preternaturally giving birth to rabbits.

It's a BBC radio play, in case you're wondering! :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b010fd88/Afternoon_Drama_Mary_Tofts_Rabbit_Tale/

It was based on a 'real' story - an infamous 'con' of the 18th century, recorded in newsprints of the time

I felt it was a good lighthearted rendition of the story - there s a rather darker modern version by an Irish author.

I only caught a tiny bit (and the end) of this today as I was driving, so I couldn't really get the gist of it.

Back