• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to help an older rabbit?

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
Who's feeling stiff? Pickles is 10 now, he spends most of his time lying down, so I don't know if it's just inactivity or arthritis, but when he's moving he's looking a bit stiff, stretching and 'walking on tipetoes' quite a bit. Is there anything I can do for him? I don't like to dose him up on metacam unless it's really necessary. Also, should I be encouraging him to move more, like calling him across the room, or is that mean?

Who's feeling stiff? Pickles is 10 now, he spends most of his time lying down, so I don't know if it's just inactivity or arthritis, but when he's moving he's looking a bit stiff, stretching and 'walking on tipetoes' quite a bit. Is there anything I can do for him? I don't like to dose him up on metacam unless it's really necessary. Also, should I be encouraging him to move more, like calling him across the room, or is that mean?

I would get him examined by a Vet and if arthritis is suspected I would want him on daily Metacam. I have arthritis and sometimes the stiffness and pain is awful. I would not like to be left in that amount discomfort. Yes all drugs carry risks, but if not giving them means the Rabbit suffers constant discomfort surely the benefits heavily outweigh the risks. I would not want to increase exercise/give physio until a Vet has examined the Rabbit and adequate anti-inflammatory analgesia given.

I agree that daily metacam is the way to go. He might even need a much higher dose. Grim has been on it pretty much daily for years now and it hasn't had any ill effects on him yet. I think it's better at that age and condition to treat the symptoms and not worry about what the treatment will do. He may die of old age before the treatment even affects him. And if not, cross that bridge when you come to it is my advice.

Theabove - plus might be worthwhile investing in low sided litter trays & ramp-free hutches etc to make things easier.

Cold damp conditions can aggravate it too.

Def vet visit and Metacam if it is arthritis, My 6yo Ruby is on it every day and the difference in her personality is amazing :)

Thanks guys. The vet just examined him. She said he's still got a good range of motion, but to maybe trial him on metacam for a few days and see what happens. Are there any supplements or anything that might help?

Last edited:
My Flopsy who'll be 7 in January has arthritis in his hind hocks and back end and is on daily metacam for it as well as for his teeth. He's Also on Oxbow joint supplements - they are great and the improvement is amazing.

The active ingredient in the supplements - glucosamine can take up to 8 weeks to take an effect in their system so my vet tells me but I personally think they are well worth it alongside some metacam too.

My Flopsy who'll be 7 in January has arthritis in his hind hocks and back end and is on daily metacam for it as well as for his teeth. He's Also on Oxbow joint supplements - they are great and the improvement is amazing.

The active ingredient in the supplements - glucosamine can take up to 8 weeks to take an effect in their system so my vet tells me but I personally think they are well worth it alongside some metacam too.

http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/joint-support-oxbow-natural-science.html

These ones?

The snuggle safe is a good idea too.

Back