• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit drinking more and sandy urine

Bindi

Warren Scout
Let me say first off that I'm trying to get in contact with the lady who runs the rescue centre he came from and if I can't get through to her today, I will speak to her tomorrow. The thing is, I lost my income since getting Oren five years ago and now don't have the money for a vet bill at this point in time (I'm working on it...) so I'm hoping to come to an arrangement with her since technically under the adoption agreement the rescue still owns him.

Anyway, he's a six year old Netherland Dwarf, who has had malocclusion in the past but his check not so long ago ruled that as ok for now, he is on his way to finishing a moult and he is blind in one eye from glaucoma (bit of background there...) Anyway, I've noticed recently that he seems to be drinking fairly often, especially compared to my other rabbit who doesn't seem to drink much at all. Twice now I've noticed his urine is the consistency of wet sand which I've read is excess calcium? It's more sandy coloured than I've read about, but that could be carrots? Aside from that, there have been no changes in his behaviour or appetite and his poos seem normal.

So I do hope to get him checked out soon. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice? Possibly a change of diet is in order somewhere?

Thanks.

He is showing symptoms of a urinary tract infection, possibly due to 'bladder sludge'

He does need to be seen by a Vet ASAP as left untreated the problem could get a whole lot worse (and more expensive).

Reducing the calcium in his diet may be appropriate, but it is very important to establish a diagnosis in order to treat it in the most appropriate way.

Totally agree with Jane, she's always right!!

I'd go to the vets and hopefully a course of antibiotics will clear it up. Good luck.

Yes, unfortunately I'd say a vet trip would be for the best. Good luck with contacting the rescue. I think the PDSA? treat for free sometimes if there is one near you. Maybe worth checking out.

Not sure where you are based but try and find a PDSA (which is donation if you can, not compulsory) or an RSPCA clinic - they are about 75% cheaper (according to the convo I overheard today). I took Banjo there and he had ab's metacam and xrays for about £40. He had to have surgery for bladder stones but even that was affordable.

Failing that, ring around and see if a vet near you can do a payment plan

He is showing symptoms of a urinary tract infection, possibly due to 'bladder sludge'

He does need to be seen by a Vet ASAP as left untreated the problem could get a whole lot worse (and more expensive).

Reducing the calcium in his diet may be appropriate, but it is very important to establish a diagnosis in order to treat it in the most appropriate way.

I agree with Jane too.

Vets asap and we will be keeping our fingers crossed for hopefully a positive update in the near future.

Best of luck.

Thanks all. Still no luck with the rescue (which infuriates me, because she advertises that anyone who homes from her can call her any time but every time I've phoned her in the last five years, I don't think she's picked up the phone once!) There is no PDSA near me and I'm not eligible anyway (you have to be on particular benefits). There's also no RSPCA branch in my county (no animal hub, just a shop) but there is a local vets that is sympathetic to the RSPCA, I'll be going there tomorrow as well for pet supplies so perhaps I can have a word with them. I've had this runaround before- when Oren had his glaucoma, no one was willing to help me out with that, and our elderly cat has maxed out my mother's spare money.

I'll let you guys know.

He went to the rescue this morning and she realised he had a massive bladder stone (she tried to get me to feel it, but I guess I don't have her superior palpating skills :? ) so he went straight to the vets for confirmation of diagnosis and the vet said he was urgent but not emergency since he's still passing something, even if it is sludge, so with luck he can wait until Monday morning for the operation. He's being monitored at the house of the rescue lady tonight and tomorrow so he's in the right place. So strange to not have them home... I'm currently having the strong urge to go and put them to bed.

Ah, poor you. I had a bladder sludge bunny. Very stressful. Hope all goes well with the surgery on monday - keep us posted. x

Hope the surgery goes ok. Banjo had the surgery done a few times due to the stones coming back really fast, and he recovered well from the ops.

It's best to move bun off pellets that contain Alfalfa (sometimes called Lucerne) as that is high in calcium and will make the problem worse x

Thanks all. The rescue lady sent me a picture earlier of them in her garden, Oren was just sitting looking fairly content and Pandora was washing her foot, so obviously not too bothered about being away from home.

He's on Science Selective- a handful between both rabbits a few times a week. I took him off Burgess because that gave him poo troubles. When you say "off pellets that contain..." do you mean take away pellets entirely, or can you recommend any pellets that do not have a high alfalfa content?

Obviously I'm googling and reading up and I will ask questions, but can anyone with experience advise me on things to try with regards to prevention (I know that the Internet says they don't know why bladder stones occur and about dietary calcium etc, but I'd rather be trying things than not) and the best ways of finding early signs of reoccurrence (I read about 6 monthly checks at the vets... and I now plan on bringing him in regularly to check his urine)?

Till had dreadful sludge rather than stones. I used to syringe extra fluid in her, massage her bladder area and then encourage her to run up and down the stairs! She would then pass some 'sand' in her litter tray. She had major surgery where they removed putty like substance and we managed to keep her well for another 13 months. :love:

It makes me mad when I see alfafa products as they are so high in calcium and they became banned in our house! :evil:

I was also told that a little bit like Dental buns sometimes 'it is just one of those things'

Sorry I cant be more help but just cut back on obviosly high calcium products - easier said than done.:?

Fingers crossed for tomorrow xxx

Thanks both.

My little man is in recovery now. The poor rescue lady thought it would cost about £100 but they slapped her with a bill for £400 :shock: Easily the most expensive bill any of my rabbits have incurred and I'm feeling a bit guilty about that but she says he's worth it. I guess I'll have to attempt some major fundraising at some point...

Yikes :shock: hope he recovers well. Try and get the pellets asap if you can and no kale, broccoli or spinach as they are all pretty high in calcium x

He doesn't get kale or spinach anyway and broccoli was a rare treat back when I had the money to buy him his own veg (rather than getting bits from our kitchen), he was a great fan of broccoli! (oh well!) Aside from the pellets, I can't really name anything that he eats, or eats more than rarely, that has a high calcium content. I guess my gut feeling is perhaps it is due to his age and he's just not getting rid of calcium like he used to. I will certainly look into the pellets.

BerryJane, how often did you do all that? And it sounds like her death was related to her bladder problems, do you mind if I ask about that?

Thanks all.

Back