• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Uneaten soft/cecal poop

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
Just freshened poppies litter tray and she dived into the new hay and had a good munch (she is a great hay eater)

I noticed about 30 minutes later the only poop she had done was a string if soft (I'm guessing cecal) poop. Is this anything to be concerned about? Normally her poop is hard and round.

Pic:

19260889-DA7B-4BD0-B7FD-917514705356-3019-0000053E6A10C998_zps51d40311.jpg

If its just the once keep an eye on it.

You say she's a good hay eater, Whats the rest of her diet like?

If it happens regulaly and isn't diet related, a vet checks a good idea. Things like teeth, mobility issues can cause these not to be eaten.

PS yes thats a cecal.

She has a mix of hay - 50% regular, 30% Timothy, 20% alfalfa which is available on tap in drives. She gets a small ramekin of Excel Baby rabbit pellets in the morning and at night. She then has fresh veg (broccoli, cucumber and carrot) and herbs in forage toys (loo rolls and egg boxes etc) topped up once a day and dotted around her room.

Not noticed these before. She is well litter trained so she only goes in the tray

Pellets doesn't sound too bad for a growing baby. Is the carrot everyday? I'd possibly reduce that.

Brocolli can upset some buns but if she's not had this prob before I doubt its that.

I'd keep an eye and see if it happens again.

She is 10 1/2 weeks and she has been with me since birth.

She gets limited carrot, but loves broccoli and cucumber bit I restrict what she gets. She is used to her current diet since her and her brothers (now all at new homes) were brought up on it.

I'll monitor and see what happens. She seems lively and not in pain. Since we list her mum to a cecal compaction and cecum bloat I've become paranoid.

When did you introduce the veg? I have read myself that baby buns aren't supposed to have any veg until about 16 weeks, as this can upset sensitive tums. May be worth thinking of cutting those out just for now :wave:

When did you introduce the veg? I have read myself that baby buns aren't supposed to have any veg until about 16 weeks, as this can upset sensitive tums. May be worth thinking of cutting those out just for now :wave:

Veg is fine as long as the Baby Rabbit was weaned onto it :)

A one off uneaten cecal is not much to worry about. I would not feed carrot daily though as the sugar content is high which is not good for the GI tract or the teeth xx

Back