• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ikea Carrier Bag Hayrack

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Some of my buns love hayracks, however due to an unfortunate accident with a guinea pig and a hayrack I am now really wary of them. The buns have just been having hay trays in the hutch and some manor pet house racks at ground level which have port holes big enough buns can't get stuck. However I know that some of the buns really enjoyed the stimulation from periscoping to reach a high rack.

I've heard some buns can get in the hole at the open end. If I placed these upright (hole a top) it would make refilling the top hutch one very diffucult - hutch is 8ft tall I'm only 5ft.

So I though about putting them horizontal but putting the hole end as close to the hutch door as possible so I have easy access when door is open but gap isn't big enough for bun to fit.

Do you think this would work?

Some of my buns love hayracks, however due to an unfortunate accident with a guinea pig and a hayrack I am now really wary of them. ?

Oh - could you tell me what happened if its not too distressing for you and what kind of hay rack? I have hay racks for my piggies and I am worried now!

I think your idea of the ikea hayrack and its positioning in the hutch would work fine, but my bunny completely ignored all the hay in hers and in the end I took it down and we now use it as a carrier bag holder :lol:

Katie will only eat hay that is actually in her litter tray :?

It was a green metal one made by burgess I think. He got stuck somehow and broke his back. Burgess paid the emergancy vet bill. It was actually a very old discontinued line but they did re-contact all their suppliers and recall any that were hanging around. Unfortunately it couldn't bring Merry piggy back. :cry:

Some of my buns love hayracks, however due to an unfortunate accident with a guinea pig and a hayrack I am now really wary of them. The buns have just been having hay trays in the hutch and some manor pet house racks at ground level which have port holes big enough buns can't get stuck. However I know that some of the buns really enjoyed the stimulation from periscoping to reach a high rack.

I've heard some buns can get in the hole at the open end. If I placed these upright (hole a top) it would make refilling the top hutch one very diffucult - hutch is 8ft tall I'm only 5ft.

So I though about putting them horizontal but putting the hole end as close to the hutch door as possible so I have easy access when door is open but gap isn't big enough for bun to fit.

Do you think this would work?

I think that sounds great. I briefly experimented with the Ikea bag thing as hay rack but attached it the wrong way round so the hole end was accessible and both my buns got in. It was a shock to see little Ren scrambling out backwards one morning!

I originally used it to try to waste less hay from trampling but they pulled out just as much and sat in it and it took longer to fill and made more mess so I've gone back to big pile of hay right in the litter tray. I might attach the thing the correct way round and use it occasionally as a treat.

Back