• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby bunny with sniffles...UPDATE

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Sigh - we have 'rescued' yet another baby bun - seems we have a name in our neighbourhood for taking in unwanted buns - we were contacted about 2 weeks ago about a young lionhead type bunny, bought from P@H for a womans grand daughter - before checking with the grand daughters mother that she was happy with this. She wasn't and bunny ended up outside, in a plastic cage for a night - until we heard of it and brought her home!

All seemed fine - but then little Cheyenne started sneezing a week ago, and hasn't stopped since. We took her the vets last Saturday and she is on 0.2mls Baytril per day - she is only about 10 weeks old so vet doesn't want her on more. Went back yesterday - and is just continuing on this.

Poor girl is still sneezing - seems to get better then back to sneezing again. She is fine in herself - eating, drinking and very bright with loads of energy but I am very concerned about this continuing sneezing. Vets have taken a swab to find out exactly what it is - so back on Sunday to see whats what.

She is inside, in the warm and beyond the Baytril - I don't really know what else to do. Any suggestions? I just feel so sorry for the poor girl.

Last edited:
Hopefully the results of the swab will be helpful and lead to her full recovery. I hope she gets better soon.

I have a snuffles bunny. Good that you are having the discharge tested as the vet will then know what antibiotic to use to clear it up. Baytril doesn't work on snuffles, but it is the only antibiotic registered for use on rabbits which is why they prescribe it for anything and everything if your bun is not well. I have heard that it works well on urinary tract infections but that's all.
Anyway... I have a small packet of Bisolven from the vet, a white powder decongestant (originally for pigs) you sprinkle the tiniest pinch on the buns food (mine has it mixed into her porridge oats in warm water) it helps them sneeze it out and feel less irritated I imagine. Also you can buy cone flower (echinacea) from Pets at Home or Jolleys and let them snack on it. I just have some in a bowl in her hutch to have as and when she wants.
Well done for taking on this little one :)

Did your vet do the swab whilst on the baytril? She'd need to be med free for 1 week before a swab would be useful. The swab is also more effective if taken under GA but not sure how practical that is for such a young bunny.

Ditto asking your vet about bisolven. It helps break down any mucus.

Metacam can also be useful to reduce inflamation in the nasal passages, but again not sure if ok for a baby bun.

Its good to keep her warm as a baby bun wont have a winter coat, just don't go too OTT as I always found my snuffle bun was more comfortable slightly cooler weather.

Thanks for they replies - really helpful - thank you:thumb:

They took the swab the first time I took her in - before she started on anti-biotics - was hoping to get results yesterday. Not sure how long thses take? They didn't take from deep inside her nose -just a little bit inside as they didn't want to do a GA just to get a swab as she is still so young and small (only 675g the first visit - but up to 700 grams yesterday :thumb:)

I do actually have another snuffle bun - Sheldon - who came down with bad sneezes and was quite poorly a little while ago - he was worse actually with a high temperature and much worse sneezing. He did respond well to Baytril - although his nose has remained sensitve and he does still sneeze everynow and then. I don't worry too much about him really as he is a big, bonny lad and able to fight off infections - but I do obviously keep a very close eye on him and will certainly get him some echinacea - and for little Cheyenne too. And I will also ask about Bisolven and metacam and see what they say.

And thanks for the heads up about temperature - we are keeping her warm - but I get what you mean about not too warm.

Ah poor little bunny.

I know Doughnut was put on echinecea to build up her immune system, she had the drops but it is suppose to be good for colds. Certainly won't do any harm to build her up.

I know where to come if Doughnut is naughty, room for one more :)

It might just be that baytril isn't the right antibiotic. I believe septrin is also reasonably safe for little buns.

Definately wouldn't risk a GA that tiny. Don't set all your hopes on the swab though as it can come back inconclusive. Ours did, we just trialled and errored different antibotics until we found something that worked but at her age your vet might be reluctant to use anything other than baytril. Baytril worked for years for us, just needed a long course, it was only in his later years that we had to try different things.

We used enchinea drops (don't forget to take them off it for a week every so often as its more effective that way) an also vit c drops in the later stages but this needs to be given on food and consumed immediately as vit c deteriorates in sunlight.

Steam can help, and a nebuliser was a life saver for us but Bluebell did have it very chronically. Lidl had one on sale recently about £20, not sure if the offer is still on.

Ah poor little bunny.

I know Doughnut was put on echinecea to build up her immune system, she had the drops but it is suppose to be good for colds. Certainly won't do any harm to build her up.

I know where to come if Doughnut is naughty, room for one more :)

Was going to say NOOOOOO... then I thought - "hang on - there is ALWAYS room for a Doughnut" :love:
:D

Definately wouldn't risk a GA that tiny. Don't set all your hopes on the swab though as it can come back inconclusive. Ours did, we just trialled and errored different antibotics until we found something that worked but at her age your vet might be reluctant to use anything other than baytril. Baytril worked for years for us, just needed a long course, it was only in his later years that we had to try different things.

We used enchinea drops (don't forget to take them off it for a week every so often as its more effective that way) an also vit c drops in the later stages but this needs to be given on food and consumed immediately as vit c deteriorates in sunlight.

Steam can help, and a nebuliser was a life saver for us but Bluebell did have it very chronically. Lidl had one on sale recently about £20, not sure if the offer is still on.

Thanks for all the great advice -it is so worrying when they are such babies still - seems so little we can do. It just seems so unfair that she has to go through this so soon. Still - at least she will get the best care we can give.

Can't believe they left bun outside on such a cold night :cry:

I don't really have anything else to add, it's a bit of a waiting game until the results come back isn't it :(

Can you try a different hay? What is she bedded on? Is it dust free?
We had a pony at the stables once that was allergic to hay....

Also check up the nostrils for injury or something lodged.
Hope she's better soon

Does she have wood shavings as they can sometimes cause sneezing?

I've found metacam makes a difference to the amount of sneezing, but don't know if she is too young.

I've also found any antibiotics need to be given for a number of weeks before there is any improvement, even after a swap. I would think you would need to watch out for upsetting her little tummy with them though, so maybe a little profibre might help?

Hope all goes well with her, and well done for taking her on. Fancy anyone leaving her outside in the cold in a little cage :(

Vet has confirmed that it is pasturella so continuing with Baytril for another week and then seeing how she is doing. It is so annoying though - she was so sneezy on Friday day night - really sounded awful but then fine on Saturday but back to being really sneezy today. But I believe this is the way pasturella operates...gets better, worse, better, worse.

But - she is currently racing madly around the lounge doing some very impressive binkies. She is eating very well and if it wasn't for the sneezing you'd think what a healthy bun.

We did think maybe she has an allergy to hay - she certainly sneezes ALOT when she shoves her face into the hay so we use a hay rack and giving her very expensive Excel hay with marigolds and dandelions...this does seem to help.

She is proving to be the most adorable, cuddly monster - she seems quite happy spend hours on my lap being stroked, she has no fear of being picked up at all, and in fact so far has shown no fear of anything. Such a gorgeous little sweetie. I will post photos of her very soon - she is rather pretty (even though I am biased;)).

That's how it works with Grim too, waves of worse and better. It's so hard when they're young. My only advice really is give whatever antibiotics she's on for at least two weeks after the symptoms stop. That way you can make sure it's gone for good and won't come back worse.

Hay certainly made Bluebells breathing difficulties worse - we used to buy Dust Free for him and his wife bun and it made a huge difference - has to be the normal hay not the pet shop plastic bag version as thats not as good quality. If you can store it the large bales they do works out the best value for money.

Back