• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hattie, dont know what to do :/

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
I got Hattie from the rspca a few weeks ago to go with Clarence after Lyric died, she was aggressive towards him and still is but was also aggressive towards me :( I now dont know what to do as Clarence doesnt have a partner and I get bitten and scratched everyday tonight though was the worst she has bitten the inside of my leg quite badley and when I picked her up she screamed :( :( :( im so upset and just dont know what to do for the best and ive never had a rabbit behave like this :(

Has she been Vet checked for any physical problems ?

Is she short sighted ?

I am assuming she is definitely spayed ?

Im going to get her checked out tommo she hates being touched anywhere :( Rspca spayed her

Do you know anything about her past ? Could she have been badly treated ? The aggression sounds to be fear based.

Is he mobility normal ? I have known a Rabbit who was aggressive and VERY touch sensitive. He was found to have severe arthritis in his hips. But really his mobility did not give much away and it was only for the fact that the Vet was extremely astute and detected the areas of pain. Xrays confirmed the condition.

So it is possible that a physical problem may be involved.

Do you know anything about her past ? Could she have been badly treated ? The aggression sounds to be fear based.

Is he mobility normal ? I have known a Rabbit who was aggressive and VERY touch sensitive. He was found to have severe arthritis in his hips. But really his mobility did not give much away and it was only for the fact that the Vet was extremely astute and detected the areas of pain. Xrays confirmed the condition.

So it is possible that a physical problem may be involved.

Her mum was handed in pregnant had 9 babies they were all fostered in a home then came to the rspca at 8 weeks all got rehomed except Hattie who was on her own for a week after her brothers and sisters were rehomed She is about 5/6 months old now

She was 12 weeks so yes :( do you have any information on that?

Not in Rabbits as there have been no studies (not AFAIK anyway). There is quite a bit about it relating to female dogs. But as with so many issues some Vets think early neutering can cause behavioural problems, other Vets dont think it does.

How much space does she have, and do you need to pick her up? Maybe she could get used to going to her run by going into a carry case?

I have a bun, Faithy, who has always been aggressive. She is much better with me know as she knows her routine, and her set-up means I don't need to catch her to take her in. She also done much better after we put her outside ( although if your bun is inside it will be too late for her to go out now).

I also speak a lot to Faithy so she knows I am there since her sight isn't great. Having said that, some days she still decides to launch herself at me :roll:, but they are very few now.

I can't remember how old she was when we had her spayed (we've had her since she was about 10 weeks old and she is now over 4). She was worse after the spay though. Apart from her sight, vet has found nothing wrong. Her mum did kill all her siblings though, and she was removed and reared by another bun.

Just spoke to the rspca and they said her behaviour didnt sound good and I could and probably should take her back :(

Has her sight been checked? The only bunny I ever heard scream turned out to be blind. Now I'm aware of this and talk gently to him on approach the trust grew and grew. He's a proper cuddle bun now.

Def vet check - sight, hearing, teeth & all over body for any cause of pain.

How did bonding go - did she find it particularly stressful?

If you approach her from one side or other, from front, low down, are their any patterns to her aggression. Is it when food is due? Have you touched or shown affection to other buns (or dogs/cats), so you smell of them, or she becomes territorial?

No sudden moves - & wear thick gardening gloves or something - if you can remain unafraid of getting nipped, it will stop any sudden movements on your part & may make all the difference.

She sounds like she's been shipped about a bit & had a lot of changes in her short life - so may settle down once she has a world she can count on:love:

ETA: one of my "aggressive" buns - screamed once. Her aggression was 100% fear related. She's one of my friendliest now

Last edited:
I think she just needs more patience and time. She has only been with you for a few weeks. Sending her back to the RSPCA is going to be yet another ordeal for her and she is still only a baby :cry:

Did you take her to a Vet today ?

It is very sad that she faces the prospect of being moved again, when what she really need is security so she feels safe rather than frightened. Has she been to a vet to check that there is nothing amiss physically?

Just spoke to the rspca and they said her behaviour didnt sound good and I could and probably should take her back :(

I hope you don't take her back. In my opinion this would only mess her head up even more.

Get her checked out by the vet and even if there are no physical problems, could you be patient and try to work through her behavioural issues? I've seen and managed to help severely aggressive bunnies work through their issues and eventually learn to trust people and be a wonderful addition to anyone's family.

Ive had rabbits all my life and seriously have never had one as bad as her, taking her back would not be an easy decision but I have Clarence to think of aswell :( the reason I got her was for him as he was so depressed after Lyric and he is still now on his own:( Ive had her for nearly 2 months and her aggression has got worse not better if it was a case of being nervous she should of improved? She certainly doesn't lack any confidence!!!

Back