• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

need some advice on neutering

EmmyBeau

New Kit
Hello everyone,

I have two Male dwarf rabbits who are both 5 months old,
If I get them neutered will it stop them spraying everywhere?

Also do i need to take them to the vet first before they are done for a check up or can i just book them in for the operation?

Many Thanks

Emmy

Getting them neutered will stop most of the spraying, may stop all of it. I just book mine in for neutering now without a pre-neuter check. Good luck.

Great idea.

Expect to be asked to have a pre-op check. No reputable vet will proceed without one. This may be done a few days before or they may book you in for an appointment the same day you wish to drop the rabbits off.

Please find a recommended and bunny savvy vet who will do a thorough healthcheck of your rabbits prior to giving an GA. To not do so is foolhardy and any vet who doesn't perform a thorough check should be.

Things such as heart rate, respiration, general body condition, how far developed the rabbits 'man bits' are, teeth, gut and a few other things.

If you need recommendations for a good and reputable/experienced bunny savvy vet, then please ask and we'll try and point you in the right direction.:D

Great idea.

Expect to be asked to have a pre-op check. No reputable vet will proceed without one. This may be done a few days before or they may book you in for an appointment the same day you wish to drop the rabbits off.

Please find a recommended and bunny savvy vet who will do a thorough healthcheck of your rabbits prior to giving an GA. To not do so is foolhardy and any vet who doesn't perform a thorough check should be.

Things such as heart rate, respiration, general body condition, how far developed the rabbits 'man bits' are, teeth, gut and a few other things.

If you need recommendations for a good and reputable/experienced bunny savvy vet, then please ask and we'll try and point you in the right direction.:D

Wonderful advice.

Make sure that your vet offers post op pain medication for a few days afterwards. Some say that the pain meds given at the time are sufficient and don't give more. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole though!

Should help with spraying, although one of my neutered males still sprays. None of mine have ever had a pre-op check, but I live a long way from my vets so maybe they were trying to make life easier.

The pre op check can be done on the same day before the operation to check the heart, lungs and to get s bit of background information no vet should do an operation without a pre op check really

Great idea.

Brilliant advice.

Hormone levels will take a few weeks to drop too :wave:

Hope all goes well.

Back