• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Feet?

Kirsty_x

New Kit
Last night I picked my three up for a quick cuddle, to check their teeth and give them a wee brush, however when checking Lily over I noticed the skin on her feet seemed quite red! It must have just been the way I moved my hand, which lifted all her fur to the side and being jet black the red skin stood out. She doesn't look in the slightest bit of pain and didn't react when I touched them, the skin isn't broken (maybe slightly dry, a few tiny little flaky bits) and its certainly not infected or cut, but I just got a bit of a shock at how red they looked. I googled 'rabbit hocks' and they look nothing like any of them, I'm maybe just being overly paranoid as usual! :lol: She is housed in a Lorry container which is a solid wooden floor, covered with hay and easibed. I've only just recently started using easibed, so I think its maybe just a combination of walking on this and it being quite chilly the last few days....it might sound really silly, but what colour is their skin usually on their feet? She's so fluffy and her feet are always covered in fluff so I have never noticed it before and although I check her nails regularly, I haven't thought about checking under the fluff :oops:
Would I be okay to pop a wee drop of sudocreme on tonight just incase?

It's impossible to say if her feet look 'normal' as we cant see them !!

Putting cream on can sometimes make things worse, it depends on the exact problem.

Can you post a clear photo of her red skin ?

I feel so silly now! After checking her last night, and again this morning, her feet look absolutly fine, not red at all! I think it was probably just because she had been sitting on the cold tile but will keep a close eye on her the next few days :)

My rex has sore hocks, and so does my mini x dwarf lop Ruby, but hers is from arthritis and sitting awkwardly before starting her metacam :(

Glad your bun's feet are ok though :)

I'd keep checking regularly. If you have now got your buns on something softer than wooden floors, they may improve. I've had an English spot with mild issues - but a conti that was in a serious state and ended up bandaged and on antibiotics until he was bedded on rubber matting with a duvet on top

Back