• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snuggle bedding for buns. Any ideas? Is vet bed ok?

janhm69

Young Bun
My buns are living inside in a small conservatory but it has got chilly overnight the past couple of nights. I'd like to give them some sort of blanket to snuggle into but one of my buns can be a bit of a shredder, pulling and eating threads etc. She is prone to tummy upsets so I don't want to risk her eating fibres. I had to remove a previous woollen blanket they had. Is vet bed any good for this purpose? It needs to be washable too. My buns will not wee on it but they do like to shuffle around digging on blankets! Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Jan

We use vetbed for ours but they don't chew. The way it's shaped does leave a lot of tufts of fibre sticking up so your bunny might try to eat it. Perhaps vetbed with a nice thick layer of hay might keep it intact?

I wouldn't give vetbed to a chewer - its quite fluffy and I worry about them ingesting it. A nice bed of straw would be much safer.

Sorry so slow, just seen replies. Many thanks for those, wish I'd looked sooner, had given up when no replies for a while! I went ahead and got the vetbed. After missing the delivery, it finally arrived today. Pip was on it straight away pulling the fluffy bits out in tufts. I don't want them eating it as both have had tummy troubles in the past with cardboard and the like which they actually do seem to eat. I think my Dad's cat just acquired some nearly new vet bed, with tufts missing......:oops:

Vet bed + Hay

Hello,

I think like one previous poster said covering it with hay would avoid any chance of them chewing it - and probably make the perfect mix.

We sell vetbed and it is very strong, but there is the danger of fluff coming lose. There is a very good review of our vet bed here - http://velcrodog.co.uk/2013/11/05/petnhome-vet-bedding-review/.

One of the points they do make is there is some fluff, however it is durable warm, strong and washable so ticks all the other boxes.

Maybe I will try it topped with some hay under observation before the cat gets it! Thanks for the suggestion.

Back