PDA

View Full Version : Mycroft and Molly's new home...

littlemy94
13-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Mycroft and Molly moved into their new home last week, and asked me to share a few photos. ;)
It's a 5x3ft Ryedale hutch with a 4 x 5 run attached via a run around tunnel. This gives them 65 square feet in total. When I can supervise they also have the run of the garden.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd331/FrancesElizabeth-x/hutch1.jpg

We use a tree stump (birch) as a step for access to the tunnel and that is Mycroft's very favourite place to sit. He is there every morning, waiting for his breakfast. They also have an extra off-cut of tunnel in the run as well as a litter tray under the sheltered half.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd331/FrancesElizabeth-x/hutch2.jpg

I decorated the apex with some plywood rabbit shapes and a little heart, and there are fairy lights for the winter. I also have some waterproof bunting which I am saving for summer.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd331/FrancesElizabeth-x/hutch4.jpg

The dining room, as modeled by Molly (left) and Mycroft (right). As you can see, they are eager to make an escape despite all the space they have in there. We attached nibble sticks around the ramps to act as banisters, so that their bedding wouldn't fall through. (The bedding is aubiose by the way, not sawdust.)

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd331/FrancesElizabeth-x/hutch3.jpg

And this is the bedroom. They have grass nests, blankets and loads of hay to keep them warm. I also added a vegetable mobile and stuck stars to the ceiling!

Let me know what you think :wave:

ripminnie
13-11-2013, 04:22 PM
It looks lovely!!

catherine09
13-11-2013, 04:30 PM
I like the bedroom - it looks so cosy!

happysaz133
13-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Loovely fabulous, and really cosy for them too :D

aaammmyyy
13-11-2013, 04:49 PM
this looks amazing,the bedroom looks very cozy

Zoobec
13-11-2013, 05:04 PM
I love it :love:

Aly&Poppy<3
13-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Looks lovely :love:

biscandmatt1
13-11-2013, 06:16 PM
it looks lovely. :love: just one suggestion though - i would put proper bolts on the hutch and run :wave:

tonibun
13-11-2013, 06:21 PM
These rabbits must have been born "under a lucky star". I love the hutch and the rabbit images on the apex. I love the bedroom with all the hay and all the other little things you have put so much thought into. Well done!

JemimaH
13-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Wow! :love:

You don't by any chance like Sherlock do you?! ;) :lol:

silverrabbit
13-11-2013, 06:44 PM
What a lovely set-up :love:

Goth Mummy
13-11-2013, 07:25 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous! Glow in the dark stars - fairy lights, looks amazing - can I move in?!

Would that home work as indoor housing? I would love one for Princess Katie :love:
x

littlemy94
13-11-2013, 10:25 PM
it looks lovely. :love: just one suggestion though - i would put proper bolts on the hutch and run :wave:

Thank you!

And thanks for the suggestion too. I am planning to do so asap. However the, um, little turning things (whatever they're called) are actually very stiff so I'm not too worried. Sometimes its a struggle for me to open them! I think any predator would struggle too...

littlemy94
13-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Wow! :love:

You don't by any chance like Sherlock do you?! ;) :lol:

Oh yes. I dooooo. :lol:

littlemy94
13-11-2013, 10:30 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous! Glow in the dark stars - fairy lights, looks amazing - can I move in?!

Would that home work as indoor housing? I would love one for Princess Katie :love:
x

Thank you!
I think it would work nicely indoors.

If/when I move out, I might bring it indoors and have them as house bunnies. I think it would look nice painted white, maybe with some floral fabric covering the felting. :)

DomaNikki
14-11-2013, 09:25 AM
:love:

GrahamL
14-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Thank you!

And thanks for the suggestion too. I am planning to do so asap. However the, um, little turning things (whatever they're called) are actually very stiff so I'm not too worried. Sometimes its a struggle for me to open them! I think any predator would struggle too...

Unfortunately, in this day and age it's not just predators you need to worry about.

Many rabbits are being stolen :(

Goth Mummy
14-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Unfortunately, in this day and age it's not just predators you need to worry about.

Many rabbits are being stolen :(

Is that true? Why would anyone go to the trouble of breaking in and stealing when so many are just given away free on free-ads sites? Not doubting that you are telling the truth but I am genuinly interested. Should I worry about Katie in her run on the grass in the summer? I never imagined anyone would steal a bunny from a garden.

LittleMy94 - If I had one as an indoor home, I would paint it in (pet-safe) duck-egg blue paint and put up Cath Kidston -style bunting ;)
I showed my husband your photos of the cage last night and he wondered if the hutch was weather proof on its own or do you have to use a hutch cover/snuggle with it to protect from the elements in winter?

Aly&Poppy<3
14-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Is that true? Why would anyone go to the trouble of breaking in and stealing when so many are just given away free on free-ads sites? Not doubting that you are telling the truth but I am genuinly interested. Should I worry about Katie in her run on the grass in the summer? I never imagined anyone would steal a bunny from a garden.

It's true :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2452491/Man-stole-rabbit-guinea-pig-drunk-night-realised-woke-hopping-bedroom.html

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?358424-Stolen-rabbit-(Sutton-Greater-London-Surrey)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?270221-Stolen-rabbits-can-anyone-help

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?297980-Stolen-Rabbit-Appeal-Blackpool

etc..

happysaz133
14-11-2013, 10:58 AM

LittleMy94 - If I had one as an indoor home, I would paint it in (pet-safe) duck-egg blue paint and put up Cath Kidston -style bunting ;)
I showed my husband your photos of the cage last night and he wondered if the hutch was weather proof on its own or do you have to use a hutch cover/snuggle with it to protect from the elements in winter?

Yes, sadly very common. People take them as bait and lures for using with dogs :( as well as in the hope they may just be able to make a tenner selling them on.

However saying that, a human could easy unlock a bolt as well.

Goth Mummy
14-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Yes, sadly very common. People take them as bait and lures for using with dogs :( as well as in the hope they may just be able to make a tenner selling them on.

However saying that, a human could easy unlock a bolt as well.

I think I want to be sick :evil: I never imagined such evil behavior.

Im glad Katie is an indoor bunny then.

Every time I come on this forum, I end up feeling so naive :oops:

happysaz133
14-11-2013, 05:31 PM

Don't feel like you're being naive, its not the sort of thing bunny lovers would usually think about. Horrid people in this world.

tulsi
14-11-2013, 08:05 PM

I was horrified when I heard about people stealing rabbits recently. Planning to get padlockable bolts now.

littlemy94
16-11-2013, 10:21 PM

Oooh, that sounds lovely!

It is weather proof- very sturdy and well made with really thick walls. We had to buy extra long screws in order to attach the runaround tunnel! I really recommend it- they are fantastic. The only down side is that we had to treat the wood ourselves. It took quite a long time as we did three coats of varnish!

It is positioned in quite a sheltered place in our garden, so the weather isn't too much of an issue. I have a night shutter for the apex window, but at the moment I'm leaving the others as they are. I'm planning to get a clear tarpaulin for winter though.