• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits coming indoors each night - would this work??

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Hi all

My bunnies, Dizzi and Rascal, like coming into the house of an evening when they're having their runabout ........ and I was just thinking, with winter coming and everything that the changes in temp from outside to inside may not be good for them.

However, I wondered if leaving the heating in the dining room switched off and the patio doors left wide open when they're in would be ok!?!

The dining room would be the only room they would go in and they're only in for maybe an hour or so at tea time.

What do you think?

Does anyone else do this kind of thing?

Thanks, Jo x

My two come in for 3 hours every evening - from 6-9, where they have the run of the sitting / dining room, stairs and spare room.... we leave the heating off, or turned down to 10degrees (as most of the time thats not too big a temp difference to their shed), with no ill effects... but we also give them an icepod and if its really cold outside, we leave a window open (so the temp diff is never huge... we tend to stick to the temp difference being about 7 degrees)

My two come in for 3 hours every evening - from 6-9, where they have the run of the sitting / dining room, stairs and spare room.... we leave the heating off, or turned down to 10degrees (as most of the time thats not too big a temp difference to their shed), with no ill effects... but we also give them an icepod and if its really cold outside, we leave a window open (so the temp diff is never huge... we tend to stick to the temp difference being about 7 degrees)

Oh Brill, do you do this right through the winter?? I've been doing it through the summer but was a bit worried about the temp difference in the darkest depths of winter ...... but if it doesn't seem to do your two any harm, I'll carry on.

Anyone else do it??

Oh Brill, do you do this right through the winter?? I've been doing it through the summer but was a bit worried about the temp difference in the darkest depths of winter ...... but if it doesn't seem to do your two any harm, I'll carry on.

Anyone else do it??

Yep, I do it all year (altho in summer they can choose in or out and we sit on the patio)... if its really cold tho, i reduce their time inside, and mine live in a shed outside, not just a hutch :)

Yep, I do it all year (altho in summer they can choose in or out and we sit on the patio)... if its really cold tho, i reduce their time inside, and mine live in a shed outside, not just a hutch :)

Thanks for the info. My two live in an aviary style run with their hutch inside, 3 sides of the run are either wall or wood (with a proper wooden/waterproofed roof) and the meshed front of the aviary is covered in clear tarp/perspex once the weather turns ........ their hutch has clear tarp over the meshed areas too and they have snuggle safes and a small heater (out of harms way) so they're quite well insulated in there.

Bunnyhouse_zpsd4940073.jpg

You're braver than me though keeping all the heating in the house off ....... I can just about cope with the dining room and kitchen but not the living room (the bunnies wouldn't go in there though).

Just wondering ......... has anyone ever kept their bunnies inside overnight (heating off) and then let them out into their run/hutch during the day?? Or would that be way too much of a temp difference??

Cheers, Jo x

Last edited:
Just wondering ......... has anyone ever kept their bunnies inside overnight (heating off) and then let them out into their run/hutch during the day?? Or would that be way too much of a temp difference??

Cheers, Jo x

Hi Jo, I asked a similar question because I wanted to put Princess Katie in a large rabbit proofed garage during the day as I worry about her being cooped up in a playpen/dog crate when Im at work and my in laws are looking after my daughter (MiL has crutches at the moment, she would not want to be tripped up by an enormous Lionhead!!) and most people advised me that it would be too much of a temperature difference for Katie to be in at night and out during the day at this time of year x

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll let them in early evening and keep the doors open so they can come and go into the garden as they please. :D

Awww thanks everyone.

I'll tell OH.

He'll be really pleased that all his hard work has been appreciated by other bunny-mad peeps too! :D

Back