PDA

View Full Version : Swapping

AmberRose96
13-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Due to it becoming very cold lately I was wandering if it would be ok to bring in my two girls so they don't get so cold. WOuld this make them ill or would it be ok?

William
13-11-2013, 09:47 AM
It could make them ill due to temperature difference, plus their coats might start moulting, so really they're best left outside assuming you're in the UK (in my climate you have to bring rabbits indoors when it's cold).

AmberRose96
13-11-2013, 09:48 AM
i am in the UK. Do you have any good tips to keep them warmer?

William
13-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Snugglesafes seem to be really popular on here for keeping bunnies warm:) And of course lots of hay helps, and a tarp covering the hutch, if they're housed in a hutch.

Amy104
13-11-2013, 10:43 AM
If you want to bring them in permanently and put them back outside next year when its warmer thats fine, just not a good idea to bring them in for cuddles and put them back outside each day.

If you do keep them outdoors good tips are:

Straw for bedding (better insulator than hay just don't forget they still need hay for eating)
Snugglesafes
Inslated hutch cover - or make yourself from silver loft insulation
Make sure hutch is in most sheltered part of garden
Clear shower curtains are great day covers - keep out rain but let in light

Babsie
13-11-2013, 11:10 AM
They would be fine brought indoors until next Spring: you would need a large dog crate and attach a run to it - lots of pictures on here about people's set-ups. Also, they would need some free-range time so they get plenty of exercise.

If you want to keep them outdoors, you need to insulate your hutch - I use two/three layers of bubblewrap stapled over sides, back and the front door that isn't wire. You also need to cover the front over with, say, a piece of carpet, at night and roll it back during the day. Stuff the hutch with plenty of hay, so it will keep them warm but they can also eat it.

(You won't, of course, be able to bring them in for the part of the day and then put back outside, because of the change in temperature).

Babsie
13-11-2013, 11:13 AM
It could make them ill due to temperature difference, plus their coats might start moulting, so really they're best left outside assuming you're in the UK (in my climate you have to bring rabbits indoors when it's cold).

They will be fine if housed indoors permanently until Spring: they couldn't, of course, be indoors for part of the day and then put back outside.

aaammmyyy
13-11-2013, 05:00 PM
they will be fine being indoors,as long as you're not bringing them in and putting them back outside after holding them indoors:thumb:

AmberRose96
13-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Thank you guys! I just need to persuade my stepdad to help sort out a place in doors or some of your ideas for the hutch.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2