• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Manuka honey

Bunny-love

Young Bun
Hi,

I previously said in another thread about my bunny having an abcsess, today she is going to have it cut open and all that jazz.

So I'm going to get some manuka honey and was wondering what grade to get? I think 15 is the minimum? If I go to the highest will it work better?

Also what the heck do I do once I have it? I'm at a complete loss, the vet told me that it has to be removed everyday, I how do I ensure it is all remove but also not hurt my bunny at the same time?

Thanks for any help,
Katrina and Tullulah.

Hiya, I have successfully treated abscesses with Manuka Honey. I would recommend getting a UMF of 25+, it is expensive but works better.

Basically you need to clean the area with diluted hibiscrub or iodine. Then, if there is a hole, you can also flush with the dilute solution in a syringe, this gets cleaning right into the abscess.

Then what I do, as the honey is very thick, is put it on the end of a cotton bud and try to get some in the hole by twisting the bud at the hole location. It can be hard to get in to the hole, and very messy. Just put a small amount on the cotton bud. I also smear some over the opening.

When you clean it out the honey is hardened a bit. If you wipe with a cotton wool ball soaked in the hibiscrub / iodine soloution then squirt with the syringe, it is clean enough to start the process again.

Good luck x

Also, try to gentl squeeze any pus out when you have it cleaned out, prior to putting the honey in....Rabbit pus is super thick tho' so sometimes won't come out, but the honey does break it down :)

Thank you so much for your help, but sadly the vet thinks she should be put to sleep as it's in the bone and she will be in a lot of pain and discomfort.

So sorry to hear this, my rabbit Murphy has been living with an abscess on his jaw for the last 8 months, he has had it incised twice under GA and I have been packing it with honey, irrigating it with hibiscrub and squeezing out the pus, also he has been on baytril and metacam. For the last 8 weeks he has been having duphapen injections, these appear to be working and the abscess is healing and is now flat. He weight has been fairly stable and although it has been hard work, it has been worth it, as he is active and happy in himself. The abscess is in his bone, and I don't know how long the current regime will continue to work, but while ever he seems happy, I am more than happy to keep going with the treatment. Of course every case is different and I don't know the exact circumstances with your bunny, but thought it might help to tell you my experience.

Back