• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi and newbie

eeejay3

New Kit
Hi, we have adopted 2 little girl rabbits from gumtree :(

they are approx. 4 mths old and as soon as we saw the post we knew we had to have them. We were looking for some buns, and have already ordered so much stuff, we read through lots of posts and hope we have got the basics right, with a few indulgences too ;)

they are in a bit of a sorry state, there's a little brown bun, and a little lionhead, the little lionhead has sawdust matted into her coat. They are both off to vets as soon as I can get an appointment, this week, ill get their vaccinations done, get her coat trimmed, and arrange the spaying and chipping.

The hutch they have arrived in is a converted wardrobe, and the whole thing is 'open plan', there's nowhere warm to cwtch up, there was no hay, straw, or bedding bar the sawdust, no food but lots of carrots? so we have put in a litter tray with straw, thrown straw all around the bottom just to give it some insulation, I wouldn't have ordinarily used straw, and prefer fitch bedding, but we were desperate just to give them some comfort, given them timothy hay, the platform' they have been sleeping on, we put a soft inner pillow on out of a new cat bed, then lots of shredded, recycled paper bedding. They looked so much happier and settled, when we'd finished.

we've ordered a chicken coop for them, with an 8ft by 3.5ft run, we will be adding on in the spring, but we feel this will probably give them enough space in the short term, ordered lots of toys and tunnels and about 5 types of hay lol, they will be very spoilt bunnies. The children adore them, thank you for this wonderful site, if I hadn't found it, we wouldn't have known how to set them properly from the start!

Thank you for listening and hiiiiii!!!

Welcome :)

Poor buns, glad they are safe with you now! Just one thing worth mentioning is that the coop-style hutches don't offer much space.. like the covered "sleeping" area is usually quite small and not enough for them to take 3 uninterrupted hops. Is there any way you could change the order?

If not, i'm sure your home will be MUCH better for them and still more space than they were getting, and you clearly love them :love:

PS we need pics ;)

Don't worry :wave: you only did what you thought was best and shops/online retailers don't always tell the truth about recommended hutch sizes! By the looks of it, the hutch part will only be around 2x3.5ft (not inc the sticky out egg collecting bit) which is quite small, esp for snowy or rainy days. I would get some corrugated plastic for the run roof so the water runs off.

Is there any chance you can return the coop? This is more ideal, lots of people have their hutches :) I have one and the bunnies seem to be happy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6ft-Sykes-masive-Rabbit-Hutch-and-Run-Combo-MADE-IN-ENGLAND-/350924846038?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item51b4c033d6

It's a bit more pricey than the coop but you won't really need to modify it and they can spread out in the hutch in bad weather. Or maybe hubby could make his own? ;)

You've done these rabbits a really good turn by adopting them.

I think lots of people have made the chicken coop mistake - is it already ordered: can you cancel?

Aww those poor bunnies, at least now you have adopted them & I am SURE they are so much happier for it, I would try go for a bigger hutch for them though as with it being two bunnies they need lots of room to op about lay out etc etc and with it being two you may wish to get a bigger one though the coop will be a BIG improvement on what they've already have I am sure!!

I can't wait to see photo's & hope they get on well at the vets! :wave:

we're going to convert the whole coop into a huge hutch, floor lino etc, then we'll buy an 8ftx4ft run to go with it, wonderful idea on the housing thread, hubby feels confident he can do it, weve wrapped it up in insulation and covered in tarp for now, but they are much happier, the run has been covered in straw, and they have been running up and down and through their tunnels lol, will update with photies tomorrow:D

we're going to convert the whole coop into a huge hutch, floor lino etc, then we'll buy an 8ftx4ft run to go with it, wonderful idea on the housing thread, hubby feels confident he can do it, weve wrapped it up in insulation and covered in tarp for now, but they are much happier, the run has been covered in straw, and they have been running up and down and through their tunnels lol, will update with photies tomorrow:D

:thumb:

Hello and welcome to RU.:wave: It sounds as if these little bunnies are going to have a wonderful new life with you and your OH.:D:D

Back