• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House bunnies and cats ?

luna

Mama Doe
Hi,

Recently I have been getting very broody and want to add to our furry family :oops: I have always wanted a lurcher but am going to put this idea on the back burner for now as it would not be a good idea with free ranging buns. I also love cats and have seen so many pics of forum members cats and bunnies together in photos and I also followed Schez's thread very closely about getting Jamie and I was wondering are cats a little more compatible with free ranging bunnies than dogs? I know it more than likely boils down to personality but I would love to hear some bunny and cat stories. I like the idea of getting an older cat because in my head I imagine they are more lazy and would not see my buns as prey but then on the other hand maybe its better to get a kitten as they might learn to get on with rabbits from a young age. Oh I dont know , I am so confused because kittens are so playful and I doubt my bunnies would appreciate a young kitten trying to play with them. :shock:

If I was to get a cat, I would of course keep the cat in a separate room at night when we can't be there to supervise :) There are so many cats in Dublin looking for good homes at the mo and it breaks my heart seeing so many animals in rescues. My husband has no idea that I have been getting broody again !!!! Oh, what to do . I wish I could just be satisfied sometimes :?

Hi,

Recently I have been getting very broody and want to add to our furry family :oops: I have always wanted a lurcher but am going to put this idea on the back burner for now as it would not be a good idea with free ranging buns. I also love cats and have seen so many pics of forum members cats and bunnies together in photos and I also followed Schez's thread very closely about getting Jamie and I was wondering are cats a little more compatible with free ranging bunnies than dogs? I know it more than likely boils down to personality but I would love to hear some bunny and cat stories. I like the idea of getting an older cat because in my head I imagine they are more lazy and would not see my buns as prey but then on the other hand maybe its better to get a kitten as they might learn to get on with rabbits from a young age. Oh I dont know , I am so confused because kittens are so playful and I doubt my bunnies would appreciate a young kitten trying to play with them. :shock:

If I was to get a cat, I would of course keep the cat in a separate room at night when we can't be there to supervise :) There are so many cats in Dublin looking for good homes at the mo and it breaks my heart seeing so many animals in rescues. My husband has no idea that I have been getting broody again !!!! Oh, what to do . I wish I could just be satisfied sometimes :?

Totally understand that one.

If it was me (and I would LOVE a cat) I would get an older one that is used to other animals. Very best of luck.

I am 'being satisfied' and trying to spend extra time with all my lovely animals rather than yearning for more. (Although I would love two belgian hares and a cat). :lol::oops::lol:

5 cats and 3 rabbits. Never had an issue, the rabbits are in charge. The new kitten is terrified of them. I don't do anything special, the rabbits come in sometimes and play, the cats mill around.

The rabbits free range in the back garden all day and our cats and neighbours cats visit, never had an issue.

Totally understand that one.

If it was me (and I would LOVE a cat) I would get an older one that is used to other animals. Very best of luck.

I am 'being satisfied' and trying to spend extra time with all my lovely animals rather than yearning for more. (Although I would love two belgian hares and a cat). :lol::oops::lol:

I came up with a (kinda) solution yesterday. I have decided to volunteer at a rescue to get my animal fix and make some kind of difference hopefully so I filled out an application for dogs trust and am going to send it off tomorrow. Oh I'm so excited !!!

Fair play to you for having self control and I agree with you . It is important to focus on the pets we have because unfortunately I have a habit of spreading myself too thin. That's why I made the declaration video ;)

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

5 cats and 3 rabbits. Never had an issue, the rabbits are in charge. The new kitten is terrified of them. I don't do anything special, the rabbits come in sometimes and play, the cats mill around.

The rabbits free range in the back garden all day and our cats and neighbours cats visit, never had an issue.

Thanks so much for the feedback. It's really good to know that it can work. Some day hopefully I can have a cat or a dog but for now I'm going to apply to do volunteer work with a rescue and try help rescue animals in that way.

i was pondering this idea my head the other day, the next lil one that i would get is a cat ...

and thought about at how they would react w/ one another ....

good thread, and will have to look into it more before i decide to go down that route ... ;)

i was pondering this idea my head the other day, the next lil one that i would get is a cat ...

and thought about at how they would react w/ one another ....

good thread, and will have to look into it more before i decide to go down that route ... ;)

Yeah I will have to look into it further too. It's something for the future though. My husband would have a canary if he knew I was thinking about another pet right now :D

Back