• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nervous rabbit and vet trips

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
Was not sure where to put this.

I have two lionhead boys. Buster is a very nervous rabbit. He hates being handled or stroked. Picking him up is impossible as he goes mad. He also goes into rapid breathing spells and it takes him about two hours left quietly to recover after being handled or going to the vets :cry:

Today i took the two boys to see the vet nurse as Brownie his partner has regular weigh in's to make sure his diet is not just right but also he's not loosing weight (tummy bunny). The vet nurse was very concerned about Busters rapid breathing and called the vet in to check him over. The vet checked him and said he was showing signs of stress.

Now they have suggested to me to bring Brownie to the vets alone to minimize the stress to Buster and only bring him when necessary for his own vet appointments. I am unsure about this one as i thought as a bonded pair they had to go together. I can see the vets point as it would reduce Busters stress at all these trips. Has anyone else taken one and left the other?

I have always taken mine for their vet appointments separately just for practical reasons; as NZ whites they are very large and I have no car and physically can't carry them both at the same time for 20+ minutes! So far this has caused no problems.

They have just been separated for three days as one of them had to be admitted for not eating, remains to be seen if the separation has had any impact on their relationship when she comes back home tonight.

Back