• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald Spot on nose / Sore Looking Genitals

cara

Alpha Buck
My spayed (years ago) and vaccinated (over 3 weeks ago) female rabbit has the above symptoms.

Felt pretty sure it was mites and could have just asked for xenon but wanted her genitals checking out. If I am honest, and in retrospect, I do wonder if her genitals looked inflamed when she was examined for her vaccination 3 weeks ago. Did not like to comment (very silly me) as the vet did not seem to think anything untoward. I might be mistaken about what I thought I saw though.

The Vet does think mites and a urine infection so has prescribed xenon and 1 dose, 2mls, daily Baytril. Does this sound ok?

In all other respects my rabbit seems very well :D

I dont want to worry you but swollen genitals CAN indicate myxomatosis.
Even vaccinated rabbits xan get a lesser form of myxomatosis.
I think it is a matter of urgency that you see a rabbit savvy vet.
I hope I am wrong!

I had already thought of Myxi - I have had one rabbit with the nodular/lumpy form (she survived. The vet did not know what it was at the time, some years ago, and it is only now I know what it was. She did not have any treatment but despite this did very well although was left with a scarred nose). And very sadly, lost more than one rabbit with full blown myxi.

I think the genital area looks sore rather than swollen. And I would say the affected area includes some area of skin on the right hand side where she appears to have lost a small amount of fur. Very difficult to say. I will take another good look tomorrow.

Her nose is a circular area of hair loss - vet thinks it does look like mites.

What was the odour? Rabbits with UTI's tend to have a very whiffy smell. Does sound a bit like the bunny I saw who had Syphilis.. are there any scabs inside the ears?

I have looked in her ears - did not see anything untoward. The smell was very pungent - my other rabbit has had urine scald a long time ago and had a very similar smell.

I have looked at images of Syphilis and can sort of see a similarity, in that it looks red and inflamed but not scabby at all. But then again, a UTI could look the same? If this did start off just over 3 weeks ago, would Syphilis have progressed greatly by this stage?

If it was a urinary tract infection, would a symptom be inflamed genitals?

I know it is almost impossible to know the answers to my questions without actually seeing the area, of course :roll: And, of course, the Vet could be spot on with her diagnosis, treatment. But she could not say for certain what it was. She was very thorough in the check over.

I have looked in her ears - did not see anything untoward. The smell was very pungent - my other rabbit has had urine scald a long time ago and had a very similar smell.

I have looked at images of Syphilis and can sort of see a similarity, in that it looks red and inflamed but not scabby at all. But then again, a UTI could look the same? If this did start off just over 3 weeks ago, would Syphilis have progressed greatly by this stage?

If it was a urinary tract infection, would a symptom be inflamed genitals?

I know it is almost impossible to know the answers to my questions without actually seeing the area, of course :roll: And, of course, the Vet could be spot on with her diagnosis, treatment. But she could not say for certain what it was. She was very thorough in the check over.

From the smell it does sound like UTI - Tonibun is right, it is really fishy and just bleurgh. They also may dribble urine and go outside of their normal toilet area. Another thing is if you see the bun hunch or strain when urinating it can be a sign of pain from UTI.

Actually, my rabbit Banjo suffered with awful bladder and kidney stones and his genitals became inflamed and swollen when they returned after surgery. Bladder stones or sludge might be worth exploring with the vet if you don't see a good improvement from antibiotics. The vet can also do a bladder aspiration to get a sample of fresh urine to test in case the infection is not sensitive to your AB's

Did you vet give you any painkiller - ie Metacam - she will be very uncomfortable if she has a UTI.

The smell is hard to describe - not necessarily fishy, but very pungent. I know it sounds odd but having smelt strong cannabis :)shock:), it kind of smelt like that ... I think??? :oops: I am wondering if it was the scent glands?

I have not observed her straining or hunched.

I asked about pain relief. The Vet thought that Rosie did not seem in any discomfort whilst being examined. At home Rosie is on top form in every respect. (Although I know rabbits aim to hide pain). But she is bounding around the garden, grazing, racing to me for food etc. No different whatsoever.

The Vet did not suggest Ringworm. I would hope she would know it if she saw it. Certainly not especially flaky and I have not seen Rosie scratching. The Vet did suggest Rosie might have started with an UTI and then, as Rosie would be under the weather with that, she succumbed to mites :?

All very mixed signals, symptons and reactions from Rosie :?

Will see how the baytril goes along with the xenon and hopefully see an improvement so that we know we are on the right road. Otherwise, plenty of suggestions on this thread - thank you all :)

Back