• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shock news!!

Sarah1989

Warren Veteran
:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Badger might be a girl!!!!!!!

So I will have two gender confused bunnies now! Slipper who was sexed as a girl and is actually a boy, but still referred to as a girl and now Badger who was sexed as a boy and is probably a girl and most likely will still be referred to as a boy!

S/he is booked in for a spay/castration next Tuesday as s/he didn't get done with Blueberry last week as they couldn't find anything. I'm sure though that they managed to find something on both bunnies when they had their injections prior to this though.

Not looking forward to next Tuesday now.... Badger reminds me so much of Dexter in looks, temperament, fluffiness, size and I was nervous enough with Blueberry and I know a spay is much worse than a neuter and the fact they may have to go digging around to find something to prove one way or another.... aaaaaaagh!!!! Nail biting!!!!!!!!!

Oooerr :shock:

Did the vets not press to expose the penis or vulva? Also have a look if you can, you should be able to see the scrotum as loose skin even if he's hiding his junk ;) When Jasper had his pre-castration vet visit, he hid one of his plums :roll: didn't help him though, he was done a few days later :lol:

Yes, the vet had a good poke and feel around and we had Blueberry there for his post op checkup for comparison. I could definitely see a difference in what popped out and the vet is certain he is a she :shock:

It was a different vet last week though who had a feel around and said Badger might be a bit small and it was a cold day so he could just be hiding them. (Blueberry is 1.25kg, Badger is 1kg - Blueberry is a fast eater!)

So I guess we will see next week. The vet was certain and Badger's looked different to Blueberry so I suspect he (the vet) is right. I just have a vague memory of them having their injections and the vet having a feel and thought they both had developing plums. This was mid September though, so things could have changed. I know the breeder I got them from was originally keeping Badger as she thought he was a girl and she really wanted him, even though I was desperate to have him (the Dexy resemblence), but then she had another look and decided he was a boy and so I got him :D We're still in touch, hope she doesn't want him back :shock:

ha, you'll have to tell her "he" had the biggest plums ever and was deffo all man :shock: :lol:

Don't worry too much about the spay, it is a bigger op but I've not had a spay go wrong since I started taking in bunnies so about 11 years of lady buns :)

Make sure they give you a bottle of Metacam to take home, it really does make such a difference but some vets are a bit stingy about it

I have some Metacam from the other week when I had Blackavar neutered. I was surprised as they'd never given me oral Metacam following a neuter before as they normally give them a Metacam injection instead. Blackavar is not much bigger than Badger (He is also a mini lop, just fully grown) so I'll give Badger a bit less if they don't give me any more for her.

Gosh, this is going to be strange. Referring to Badger as she :shock: I bet I have about as much success as I have done with calling Slipper he :oops::lol:

More shock news!

Badger might be a boy again! :shock: Or even an hermaphrodite! Jade, if you see this, isn't it odd how the other week you said Slipper could be one and now Badger could be too!

Badger was supposed to be spayed today, but saw a different vet than the one who said he was a she! This vet was confused as he said the other vet is usually very good and is not normally wrong. I said that I saw a difference myself between Badger and Blueberry last week when the other vet was having a look - (this could get a bit *ahem* graphic) Blueberry definitely had a little willy poking out and Badger has a little something poking out, but it had a small hole in the end and Blueberry did not have a hole. This vet, however, managed to find a little plum, which the other vet did not find. I am no expert in sexing rabbits - my only knowledge of sexing bunnies has been getting them as babies as one thing and then finding out months later when they're humping away with it all hanging out, that our doe is actually a buck (cough cough Slipper!) - but Badger and Blueberry looked different to me! And then today, this vet points out a little plum to me.

We're all confused - the breeder I got them from, two vets and me! Badger, what are you? :shock::lol:

Badger might be a boy again! :shock: Or even an hermaphrodite! Jade, if you see this, isn't it odd how the other week you said Slipper could be one and now Badger could be too!

Badger was supposed to be spayed today, but saw a different vet than the one who said he was a she! This vet was confused as he said the other vet is usually very good and is not normally wrong. I said that I saw a difference myself between Badger and Blueberry last week when the other vet was having a look - (this could get a bit *ahem* graphic) Blueberry definitely had a little willy poking out and Badger has a little something poking out, but it had a small hole in the end and Blueberry did not have a hole. This vet, however, managed to find a little plum, which the other vet did not find. I am no expert in sexing rabbits - my only knowledge of sexing bunnies has been getting them as babies as one thing and then finding out months later when they're humping away with it all hanging out, that our doe is actually a buck (cough cough Slipper!) - but Badger and Blueberry looked different to me! And then today, this vet points out a little plum to me.

We're all confused - the breeder I got them from, two vets and me! Badger, what are you? :shock::lol:

It's just you isn't it
:lol:
I'm intrigued as to what is going on here. It's usually down to the shape. And the vets are getting mixed up, but its not like they're that young. Although, I'd be inclined to think we're dealing with a male purely because there hasn't been a pregnancy!

:shock:

*schez needs to sit down and try to keep up with this one*

:lol: it's been a long day.... ;)

It's just you isn't it
:lol:
I'm intrigued as to what is going on here. It's usually down to the shape. And the vets are getting mixed up, but its not like they're that young. Although, I'd be inclined to think we're dealing with a male purely because there hasn't been a pregnancy!

:lol: Yup, I don't have much luck with getting bunnies sexes right, do I? :lol:

They're the same shape, but one has a hole in the end and one is just sealed up. One kind of looks like a tiny thin cylinder and the other looks like the head of a tiny worm. Really hope nobody is eating their tea when reading this thread :lol: If I knew how to edit thread titles, I'd have to update it to have a graphic warning :lol:

Tell you what, when you come round to hand feed the vampire, feel free to have a poke around there too. Everyone else seems to have :lol:

They still are quite young though, they'll be 5 months old in December. I don't know anything about bunnies reproducing and whatnot - never had any intention of breeding them! - but aren't they a bit young to be having that kind of fun? Blueberry was done at the beginning of November - happy 4 month birthday to you :lol: - and he'd never shown any interest in humping or whatnot.

Blackavar, on the other hand, was extremely interested. Although he did hump anything that moved :shock::lol:

:shock:

*schez needs to sit down and try to keep up with this one*

:lol: it's been a long day.... ;)

You're not the only one :lol: I don't know what to call Badger now - he, she or both? :shock::lol:

Rabbits can breed from 12 weeks old give or take. The boys I see usually have dropped and acting stroppy by 12 weeks, they can suck them in when cold or scared, but it's usually pretty easy to sex. Females are fertile around that age too, some a little later. 5 months should be very obvious what sex they are, especially boys. Though some rabbits get descended testicles one or not so common both and you can get boys with a split penis so looks like a girl when young and girls can get longer vulvas than normal which makes them look boyish.

So yeah if they were one of each sex, you'd have a litter by now or due very soon, though I have heard of some males not being able to if one testie isn't showing and hermaphrodites may be able to breed, I've heard of one impregnating females, but only small litters then when retired got pregnant itself when it got in with another boy! Though that's pretty rare I think! Most can't breed or would do one or the other. So would be interesting to see what s/he turns out to be.

Maybe photos may help? Though could make it confusing with opinions, but I'm curious now :lol::lol:

Here's a website to help too, pretty detailed.
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sexing.shtml

Rabbits can breed from 12 weeks old give or take. The boys I see usually have dropped and acting stroppy by 12 weeks, they can suck them in when cold or scared, but it's usually pretty easy to sex. Females are fertile around that age too, some a little later. 5 months should be very obvious what sex they are, especially boys. Though some rabbits get descended testicles one or not so common both and you can get boys with a split penis so looks like a girl when young and girls can get longer vulvas than normal which makes them look boyish.

So yeah if they were one of each sex, you'd have a litter by now or due very soon, though I have heard of some males not being able to if one testie isn't showing and hermaphrodites may be able to breed, I've heard of one impregnating females, but only small litters then when retired got pregnant itself when it got in with another boy! Though that's pretty rare I think! Most can't breed or would do one or the other. So would be interesting to see what s/he turns out to be.

Maybe photos may help? Though could make it confusing with opinions, but I'm curious now :lol::lol:

Here's a website to help too, pretty detailed.
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sexing.shtml

If the rabbit in question was still quite small and super fluffy (1kg mini lion lop and all of it fluff!), I'd imagine that could make things a bit difficult? The vet found something he said was a tiny plum on his left hand side and did show it to me, but it looked nothing like one to me. Having seen 4 fully grown, adult males in all their glory, it looked nothing like those. And there is a difference when comparing to Blueberry's bits. BUT, that link you showed me, the male penis looked exactly like Badger's. But Blueberry is definitely 100% male - he's had his plums chopped off! :?:?:?:? I'm sooooo confused now :lol:

I know Sky-O had a hermaphrodite, might be worth sending her a pic of the 'bits'.

She's not on here that often, but you can also contact her on her blog:
http://flashsplace.webs.com/contactme.htm

:wave:

Thank you both for this :thumb: much appreciated. I will have to wait until the weekend to try and get pictures as I can't imagine one person can flip a bunny on his (her?) back (even a tiny baby like my Badger :lol:) move all the fluff to get a good look and then take a picture. I'd really like to know one way or the other as my brain is a bit exploded right now and I'm sure it's not healthy to have such a huge interest in bunny bits :oops::lol:

:shock: they are certainly keeping you on your toes!! When I first got Ollie (a Polish so he's about 1kg fully grown) I have to admit I was second guessing the "male" description as he looked so feminine down below :oops: plus he's so springy/nervy it's hard to get a good look without being bitten :shock:

:shock: they are certainly keeping you on your toes!! When I first got Ollie (a Polish so he's about 1kg fully grown) I have to admit I was second guessing the "male" description as he looked so feminine down below :oops: plus he's so springy/nervy it's hard to get a good look without being bitten :shock:

:lol: I bet it's because I was thinking about adopting another pair last weekend and they've all gone ":shock: how dare mummy want more bunnies!!" And got together to cause more chaos :lol:

Yeah super fluffy rabbits are really hard to check! :lol: Took us a while to find an angora/lionhead's bits so I can understand from that. :lol:

Blueberry probably has a weird penis :lol: :oops: and he's been neutered so they must've found something. :lol:

Maybe it's not fully a discended plum which is why it doesn't look normal? They might have to go in and find the other but at least he is a he after all. :D

Back