• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP - situation regarding step-sister & who has rights over a little bonded bun

floooble

Alpha Buck
Hi Guys

As you guys have helped me so much since I joined I thought I would ask your opinion on bunny adoption. The story is as follows..

My step sister got a pet rabbit knowing full well she is not allowed pets in her new home and also that her social worker has told her that she has to prove she is able to look after herself and son before she is allowed any animals, now like I said she went ahead anyways and got herself a rabbit affectionately named Flumper :roll: not long after I found out that some how the rabbit had been sprayed in the eye with bathroom cleaner from her son, she immediately took her to the vets and thankfully all is well, I went round to see if she was OK and noticed that everything was in fact apart from the heating being on full wack... explained to her the basic principle of owning a rabbit and her basic dietary needs feeling a little more confident I left thinking she would be ok (I know I shouldn't of but anyways..).
2 days later I got another text saying that "Flumper" hadn't eaten for two days and she was worried.. feeling guilty I went back and once again the heating had been left on all day the poor little thing was boiling no wonder she hadn't been eating so I told my sister I will take "Flumper" basically stole her and keep her with me until my sister has passed her probation type thing and "Flumper" is eating properly.

Now it may seem that she was horrible to this lil rabbit but she wasn't she just didn't know and I don't want anyone judging my step-sister in anyways but since I have had newly named Sparrow she has blossomed in to a right cheeky little madam, she has her own little character loves chewing everything, escaping, binkying and has formed a bond with a rabbit I thought would always live on her own. She has brightened up Daisy's life by being so welcoming of the occasional humping she gets and I just love watching them together.

My problem is now that my sister is wanting mithering asking to have her rabbit back and I don't want too... I know I shouldn't of told her she can have her back after 12 month that I agree is my fault but I don't trust her and I don't want to separate my girls. I don't know where I stand or what I can do :(.

Get the bun microchipped, and if you've paid for spaying/vaccinations/vet treatment you can claim ownership I think

Doesn't help relations with your step sister I guess :?

Thank you, Been looking into getting them neutered and micro chipped so I will go ahead with that.

She will hate me for it but I can't give her back not after all this messing and bonding not a chance

Thank you, Been looking into getting them neutered and micro chipped so I will go ahead with that.

She will hate me for it but I can't give her back not after all this messing and bonding not a chance

I know it is wrong, but I would do the same as you - she wouldn't be going anywhere. Could you explain that you've bonded her and it would be cruel to break the bond now?

I know it is wrong, but I would do the same as you - she wouldn't be going anywhere. Could you explain that you've bonded her and it would be cruel to break the bond now?

She won't listen she said it's all my fault as I told her Daisy may not accept her not knowing that Daisy would absolutely adore her. It just gets me worked up because she wont listen even when I tell her that both rabbits can fall ill from the separation.

Right - as you said in your original post that she is not allowed to have pets in her new home, could you argue on that point?

Right - as you said in your original post that she is not allowed to have pets in her new home, could you argue on that point?

I've argued every point possible, her mum and my dad have just told me to ignore her it will pass but its every week consistent mithering. I'm debating if I should just tell her that sparrow bun has run away just to make my life easier

I've argued every point possible, her mum and my dad have just told me to ignore her it will pass but its every week consistent mithering. I'm debating if I should just tell her that sparrow bun has run away just to make my life easier

If you told her that though, what happens if/when she comes to your house and sees her? Could you hide her somewhere for the duration? And would she believe you if you told her that, given that (in her eyes) you won't give her her rabbit back? Not having a go at your step sister, it sounds like she has a difficult life and I don't believe in judging others, but it sounds like Sparrow is happier with you now. Life & families eh, always has to be so difficult!

How distressing for you :( I would not let her have Sparrow back. Allowing the bunny to get sprayed in the eye with household cleaner is not looking after her properly, and is also not great for her son either as he could have hurt himself with the cleaner too and then she could have been in serious trouble :(

It sounds like she is having a phase of wanting back what she thinks is rightfully hers, but I think you are right to stand your ground - even your parents agree. She obviously isn't listening to you and the fact that Sparrow is happy with you, and arguing your points with her probably won't change anything.. is it possible to ignore the phonecalls until it dies down?

Although what you have done might be construed as theft technically your sister should not have a pet anyway which makes it all the more vague for here. As Catherine said micro chipping and veterinary records count as solid proof so your best option is to start building that up. This is a bit underhand but could you possible 'tell on' your sister to the social worker about having pets and perhaps the social worker will reprimand her severely enough so that she won't then bother you to give bunny back. In that sort of case she might be glad you have bunny after all. Obviously the social worker should not let on who told on her though.

Although what you have done might be construed as theft technically your sister should not have a pet anyway which makes it all the more vague for here. As Catherine said micro chipping and veterinary records count as solid proof so your best option is to start building that up. This is a bit underhand but could you possible 'tell on' your sister to the social worker about having pets and perhaps the social worker will reprimand her severely enough so that she won't then bother you to give bunny back. In that sort of case she might be glad you have bunny after all. Obviously the social worker should not let on who told on her though.

The social worker knew my nephew showed her where she had the bunny hidden... and she still didn't listen, she can be quite stubborn when she wants to be.. I'm going to build up the vet records like others have said and just stick to my guns she is not having her back.

If you told her that though, what happens if/when she comes to your house and sees her? Could you hide her somewhere for the duration? And would she believe you if you told her that, given that (in her eyes) you won't give her her rabbit back? Not having a go at your step sister, it sounds like she has a difficult life and I don't believe in judging others, but it sounds like Sparrow is happier with you now. Life & families eh, always has to be so difficult!

To be honest she doesn't come to my house all that often so I think I could get away with it but I wouldn't be all to keen on the lying to be honest. Sparrow is happy and thanks to all the little bits of information I have learnt from everyone on RU they are both Sparrow and Daisy even happier and I don't want it to be ruined because my sister won't listen

How distressing for you :( I would not let her have Sparrow back. Allowing the bunny to get sprayed in the eye with household cleaner is not looking after her properly, and is also not great for her son either as he could have hurt himself with the cleaner too and then she could have been in serious trouble :(

It sounds like she is having a phase of wanting back what she thinks is rightfully hers, but I think you are right to stand your ground - even your parents agree. She obviously isn't listening to you and the fact that Sparrow is happy with you, and arguing your points with her probably won't change anything.. is it possible to ignore the phonecalls until it dies down?

I'm going to as bad as it sounds block her number and just go from there

tbh - as she's not offering a responsible, caring home and this bun is now bonded with yours and you've cared for this bun for a year? I'd just plain and simple say "no, you GAVE the bunny to me, I have looked after and cared for bunny, therefore if you want bunny back take me to court". Wont help your relationship with her bun keeps bunny safe and happy with you.

tbh - as she's not offering a responsible, caring home and this bun is now bonded with yours and you've cared for this bun for a year? I'd just plain and simple say "no, you GAVE the bunny to me, I have looked after and cared for bunny, therefore if you want bunny back take me to court". Wont help your relationship with her bun keeps bunny safe and happy with you.

I have said all this to her I'm just not handing her over end of, and like you said I will go to court!!

As everyone has said I have had her since she was 11/12 weeks old and its been easily 7 months shes not going anywhere :evil:

Back