• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping piggies and rabbits outside

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
After how cold it was last year I am panicking that mine will freeze to death. What can I do to make sure they are warm enough in the coming freezing months? I will fill their hutch with plenty of straw and hay like I always do but I'm still worried they might freeze to death. Don't know why I am so panicky this year. Please tell me I'm being a prat and worrying to much. :(

Last edited:
maybe as you have baby piggies, that you feel abit more worried, are they in a shed?, provide extra hay/straw as you are doing, and hide holes

maybe as you have baby piggies, that you feel abit more worried, are they in a shed?, provide extra hay/straw as you are doing, and hide holes

I've always kept my animals in the shed, however this year they are all outside and I've never had them outside throughout the year. I know lots of people do it I just need some reassurance I guess. I will put plenty of hay and straw in for them :D

My lot have never been bothered by the cold, they suffer a lot more in the heat. I can give them everything they need to help keep them warm but if they're not sitting together on top of their level, then they're outside in the run!

Not sure about guinea pigs as I've never had them, but regarding rabbits, you're being a prat and worrying too much ;)

My lot have never been bothered by the cold, they suffer a lot more in the heat. I can give them everything they need to help keep them warm but if they're not sitting together on top of their level, then they're outside in the run!

Not sure about guinea pigs as I've never had them, but regarding rabbits, you're being a prat and worrying too much ;)

Thank you :wave:

Do you have a snugglesafe or 2? When they're outside they don't last as long as they say they do, but if you hide them under hay then it would help keep an area warmer for a while, the bed bit or most used area perhaps :)

Do you have a snugglesafe or 2? When they're outside they don't last as long as they say they do, but if you hide them under hay then it would help keep an area warmer for a while, the bed bit or most used area perhaps :)

I can get some, I will try anything to keep them as warm as I can x

I find they work well, at least with Charlie! Donny and Lola refuse any of my ideas to keep them warm :roll: :lol:

Are they chewers? I bought one of those cat triangle beds off amazon not long ago and for Charlie I have been giving her that, her 2 small blankets, heat pad and some hay inside the house. Mainly because she's on her own and it was -1 last night! If they're not chewers that might be an idea, it's been working really well for Charlie :)

I was always a lot more worried about my piggies than the rabbits in the winter (in fact I brought them indoors for two winters). When I did leave them out I filled their hutch with hay and used to cover them up at night with a piece of carpet. I also 'insulated' their hutch, as I do with the rabbits, with two layers of bubble wrap stapled on to the sides and back of the hutch.

I dont think GPs cope too well in very cold weather and most GP Welfare sites advise that they are moved into a shed or outbuilding or bought indoors

http://www.guineapigwelfare.org.uk/guinea-pig-care/seasonal/winter/

This is tken from the RSPCA site :

'Guinea pigs are sensitive to temperature changes. They must be kept out of extreme heat or cold. Temperatures above 26°C can cause heat stroke an
d below 15°C can cause them to become chilled.'

Rabbits are fine with lots of bedding, bit piggies aren't. I would move the pigs inside if you can.

I wouldn't keep GPs outside, their hair is like ours and they have naked hands and feet so can easily become too cold. Move them into the shed, but if you're worried about all of them freezing to death (which is common, most people I hear from lose their rabbits and guinea pigs in winter, but I doubt they cover them properly or check them regularly like the people on here) then move them into a shed or outbuilding. I think hutches don't really give rabbits or gps enough warmth outside without covers ect.

Contrary to some advice, our guinea pigs have always been kept outside in winter and have never had any problems. Last year we used a layer of that silver foil insulation stapled to the outside of the hutch and it was then covered by waterproof plastic. We lifted that in the day, weather permitting, because moist damp air IS bad for piggies. Double nuggets to bulk them up a bit, and lots of straw for bedding :thumb:

If I'd have heard about the snugglesafe things I may have provided one last year but I have worries about them adjusting to that and then me forgetting to put it in one night which I think would be worse than them just getting used to the cold.

many years ago when I had a piggy he was always inside during winter, and during summer he went out during day but was brought in at night still

I dont think GPs cope too well in very cold weather and most GP Welfare sites advise that they are moved into a shed or outbuilding or bought indoors

http://www.guineapigwelfare.org.uk/guinea-pig-care/seasonal/winter/

This is tken from the RSPCA site :

'Guinea pigs are sensitive to temperature changes. They must be kept out of extreme heat or cold. Temperatures above 26°C can cause heat stroke an
d below 15°C can cause them to become chilled.'

Blimey :shock: - my kitchen is pretty much always below 15 degrees C. I'm not sure I trust the RSPCA advice very much. Guinea Lynx would be my first port of call - not sure what their advice is.

Blimey :shock: - my kitchen is pretty much always below 15 degrees C. I'm not sure I trust the RSPCA advice very much. Guinea Lynx would be my first port of call - not sure what their advice is.

Indeed - and temps definitely get down below 15 degrees in South America where they originate from.

i would try to find a way to have the piggies inside over winter definitely, because of the temperature issues already mentioned. i think most rabbits usually do ok with plenty of bedding and heatpads, as you're already planning. :wave: x

Guineas are fine outside aslong as they are kept dry and away from draughs. Its the draught and damp that does them much more harm than the temperature itself. Mine are in an unused garage now but were fine when kept outdoors. I used plenty of extra bedding, snugglesafes and lots of silver loft insulation to cover the hutch. Also hutches were moved into the most sheltered part of the garden.

If you do bring piggies indoors remember to have your heating on a low temp permanently. If like me dou only have it on a few hours a day this can be as bad for the piggies as being outdoors because of the huge drop in temp.

The trio of buns are outdoor permanently and although they have a ice cosy hutch with thick cover, plenty of bedding and snugglesafes they rarely use it. They get huge winter coats. I have corrugated roofing on the run and windows on some of the sides to reduce wind/rain but I think I worry much more about the cold than they do. Aslong as they have each other to snuggle they are happy.

Last edited:
Back