• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis

Snizard93

New Kit
Hi guys. I am having some trouble deciding to do what's right for my boy so I am needing some advice.

Last year, October time I decided to get my rabbit vaccinated for Myxomatosis and VHD. He was 2 years old at the time. The day after his vaccination, he started showing signs of Myxy, swollen eyes, scabby lips etc. I rushed him to the vets and they said there wasn't much hope but gave me medicine to take home and try. THANK GOD it worked and he is still with us.

Here is my problem. I am not sure whether to have it done this year? I don't want him to get it again and not survive it this time. What are your opinions on the vaccine?

Hi guys. I am having some trouble deciding to do what's right for my boy so I am needing some advice.

Last year, October time I decided to get my rabbit vaccinated for Myxomatosis and VHD. He was 2 years old at the time. The day after his vaccination, he started showing signs of Myxy, swollen eyes, scabby lips etc. I rushed him to the vets and they said there wasn't much hope but gave me medicine to take home and try. THANK GOD it worked and he is still with us.

Here is my problem. I am not sure whether to have it done this year? I don't want him to get it again and not survive it this time. What are your opinions on the vaccine?

It is highly unlikely that the vaccine caused Myxi, it is very likely that your Rabbit was already incubating the disease. I would discuss your concerns with your Vet who may also contact the vaccine manufacturer to discuss the situation with them too :)

People keep saying it's highly unlikely it's the vaccine and it possible is but I still question this new LIVE vaccine hugely as I'm 100% sure that's why willow was poorly however his came about 7 days after. :oops: however your rabbits came on in 24 hours and sounded like the actual virus ???

Did your vet report it to the vaccine company???? I'm finding more and more people who's rabbits had "possible reactions":? I question just because there were no apparent "reactions" in the clinical trial doesn't mean no rabbit will ever get a reaction!

Having said all that I would still vaccinate willow again when he's due! at the time it was unbarebly stressful but he was not as ill as I thought he was going to be. The risk of MYXI far out ways the vaccine reaction in my opinion, plus if it was the vaccine or true MYXI they would have built up alot immunity to it, so they shouldn't have reaction next time.:wave:

I'm inclined to agree with WM. There's always a danger in giving a vaccine but the danger of the condition being vaccinated for is greater.

Sorry your bunny became unwell after vaccination :( Have to say that my giant Sorrell had the combined vaccine earlier this year and had a reaction a few days after :(

He came out in small hard lumps around his ears, eyes and nose :( they eventually dried up and scabbed and didn't cause him any further problems, though at the time I was terrified! My usual vet contacted the vaccine manufacturers who did say that this type of reaction has been noted but that it is uncommon.

You can see pics of Sorrell's lumps in my thread here

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?387259-Vaccinated-rabbit-showing-signs-of-myxo-!-UD-P12

I also asked my vet about Sorrell being vacc'd next year and if he would have the same reaction. The vet didn't know because the vaccine was relatively new so wasn't information about vaccination after a previous reaction.

Good luck!

I think 24hrs is too fast for it to have been a reaction to the vaccination.

Sorry your bunny became unwell after vaccination :( Have to say that my giant Sorrell had the combined vaccine earlier this year and had a reaction a few days after :(

He came out in small hard lumps around his ears, eyes and nose :( they eventually dried up and scabbed and didn't cause him any further problems, though at the time I was terrified! My usual vet contacted the vaccine manufacturers who did say that this type of reaction has been noted but that it is uncommon.

You can see pics of Sorrell's lumps in my thread here

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?387259-Vaccinated-rabbit-showing-signs-of-myxo-!-UD-P12

I also asked my vet about Sorrell being vacc'd next year and if he would have the same reaction. The vet didn't know because the vaccine was relatively new so wasn't information about vaccination after a previous reaction.

Good luck!

Im starting to wonder, since all the threads on this happening 7-10days after vaccination, seem to say bun is fine in themselves, if the nodules are like when humans get vaccinated against measles, in that people sometimes get the side effect of the rash, without becoming properly infected? If it is then in humans they say those who get the measles rash after vaccination generally get stronger immunity.

Back