• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does anyone have any photos of their rabbits exhibiting signs of pain?

jazxo

Mama Doe
This may sound a bit strange but I would like a photo to use in a college assignment of a rabbit showing a sign of pain.

Can be stomach pressing, squinted eyes, cheek flattening or anything else you have.

Thank you :thumb:

This is a bit dark but it's Charlotte when she was in stasis caused by a UTI, she was in a lot of pain as I think her face shows :(

This is her tummy pressing in the litter tray during the same episode.

And this is her normally for comparison.

I hope they help a bit :wave:

Bloat :cry:

007-86.jpg

Ear pain/gut stasis :cry:

Gut Stasis :cry:

This is Harvey in pain with gut stasis :( he'd been repetitively trying to lay down but couldn't get comfy, and ended up drawing his front legs up to his body and sitting hunched like this, rigid, for ages :( you can see from the look on his face he's in pain too (well I can see it)

How can you tell stomach pressing from just relaxed lying down.

My rabbit lays on the floor with her legs either straight out the back or to the side all the time but I assume she is just super relaxed

The position of the ears, the 'pulled in' abdomen and the squinty eyes (in the second photo)

She may also have had an increased respiratory rate (her nose is very wet)

Wish I never asked now! So sad :( hope all these bunnies are all better now. Thanks so much everyone!

Whilst these are distressing pics to see they are highly informative, educational and could save a buns life.
Mods - maybe we could have a health sticky made from this thread?

Thanks, while these photos are sad and distressing, they may prove invaluable to a novice, thank you
Fee x

Noserubs to all bunnies above.. xxXxx

Whilst these are distressing pics to see they are highly informative, educational and could save a buns life.

I agree, although, they are certainly very sad. :(

My rabbit lays on the floor with her legs either straight out the back or to the side all the time but I assume she is just super relaxed

If you could actually see her you could tell she wasn't relaxed :(
She was breathing heavily and looked uncomfortable. She had gas and was treated at the vet and was back to her normal naughty self in no time at all :)

Sorry but what is stomach pressing?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Stretching out and pressing the abdomen down onto the floor. The Rabbit is also often restless, their general demeanour 'anxious' and they may breathe rapidly. It is a very very different presentation from a flopped out relaxed Rabbit.

I'll add the thread to to Old Useful Topics sticky already in the Health section. :D

There would usually be other signs, as Jane explained. If you get used to knowing what's normal for your rabbit, then it's also easier to pick up when they're acting out of the ordinary too. It's not always easy to tell from a photo but, in practice, you would probably notice the difference with your own rabbit much easier. :D

Back