• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

best places for hutch supplies?

barronzbunz

Young Bun
Hi, just wondering best place to go for hay, straw and shavings. Where do you recommend for quality and value? Thanks

Hi, just wondering best place to go for hay, straw and shavings. Where do you recommend for quality and value? Thanks

I get my hay from http://www.timothyhay.co.uk/ it's £22 but that's for 10kg bag and it's amazing quality hay!
And i know a lot of people get hay from Hay for pets http://www.hayforpets.co.uk/ it's £16 for 9.5kg
I get the large wood shavings from pets at home to line the litter trays and it's £9.50 and its 11.5kg its huge :D
I know £22 sounds a lot for hay but when you think that most bags from the pet shops are 1kg and around £5 it works out a lot cheaper and it's great quality.

I get my hay from http://www.timothyhay.co.uk/ it's £22 but that's for 10kg bag and it's amazing quality hay!
And i know a lot of people get hay from Hay for pets http://www.hayforpets.co.uk/ it's £16 for 9.5kg
I get the large wood shavings from pets at home to line the litter trays and it's £9.50 and its 11.5kg its huge :D
I know £22 sounds a lot for hay but when you think that most bags from the pet shops are 1kg and around £5 it works out a lot cheaper and it's great

Thank you, I will check them out. My bunnies live outdoors and im using loads more now its getting colder, so appreciate the advise x

I buy most of my hay (except really special treat stuff) from HayforPets.
By the way, woodshavings aren't generally recommended for rabbits as they can cause respiratory problems - there have been lots of threads about it.

I buy most of my hay (except really special treat stuff) from HayforPets.
By the way, woodshavings aren't generally recommended for rabbits as they can cause respiratory problems - there have been lots of threads about it.

I don't see the problem if they have straw and hay over the top of it, they're not even in direct contact and not everyone can afford litter like carefresh etc.

Do you have a horse supply shop near you? You could pick up a bale of hay there, they usually also sell massive bags/bales of megazorb/auboise for about £6 so loads cheaper than ordering it online. I used to use shavings but one of my rabbits is still suffering now so personally I avoid it completely, the 'best' shavings you can get are called snowflake shavings which tend to be more or less dustfree, it's the phenols you need to be careful of though. I just use newspaper to line litter trays with then fill with hay. Not sure if horse supply shops sell straw.. Never really thought about it! If you have a 'The Range' by you then their bags of straw are good, I bought one yesterday for the hens coop and it's pretty decent stuff :)

My lot have timothyhay.co.uk stuff and hayforpets ings hay. There is also the hayexperts, deans farm hay, dustfreehay etc :)

Last edited:
I buy my hay and straw by the bale.. I get a 20kg bale of hay for £6.99 and a slightly smaller weight-wise bale of straw for £4.50. It's even cheaper to buy direct from a farm, think I used to pay £3.50 per bale, but it was so out of the way that I just go to Jolleyes (like a pet/horse supply warehouse) now.

My local-ish garden centre order bales of hay in for me now too, but a bit more expensive than Jolleyes.. might be worth checking with one close to you. If they already sell pet supplies it's possible their supplier can get them for you :)

I buy timothyhay.co.uk hay as "treat" hay which they each get a handful of twice a day. It works out too expensive for me to give it as their main hay but if you only have a couple of rabbits it's not so bad.

I use Fitch paper bedding for litter trays - £15.49 inc delivery for a 20kg bale from the Fitch Recycling website, and it lasts ages! I have 16 rabbits using it and a bale lasts about 3 weeks with litter trays changed every 2 days. It's really absorbant and not dusty :)

i also get hay for pets. the timothy and rye and the soft meadow hay. also use deans farm aswell sometimes, and alot of other people use dust free hay. the willow warren also do amazing timothy hay. and hayexperts sell lots of things.

i buy fitch for litter which is lovely and soft and dust free. i would avoid woodshavings if possible. :wave:

i also get hay for pets. the timothy and rye and the soft meadow hay. also use deans farm aswell sometimes, and alot of other people use dust free hay. the willow warren also do amazing timothy hay. and hayexperts sell lots of things.

i buy fitch for litter which is lovely and soft and dust free. i would avoid woodshavings if possible. :wave:

Thanks all, didnt know about woodshavings being a potential problem, will research.

Back