• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore hocks

weedug

Mama Doe
Bubble has sore hocks, and the vet told me yesterday to put some Sudocreme on them. How often do I put the cream on?

Also, he has vet bed and fleece in the cage where he usually spends the afternoons sleeping. Should I change that to a folding duvet, or hay or straw? Or would the foam pad things that interlock be better? I have a feeling hubby will moan at a thick layer of hay or straw in the cage :roll:

The hocks aren't awful, but obviously I don't want them getting worse.

Bubble has sore hocks, and the vet told me yesterday to put some Sudocreme on them. How often do I put the cream on?

Also, he has vet bed and fleece in the cage where he usually spends the afternoons sleeping. Should I change that to a folding duvet, or hay or straw? Or would the foam pad things that interlock be better? I have a feeling hubby will moan at a thick layer of hay or straw in the cage :roll:

The hocks aren't awful, but obviously I don't want them getting worse.

Are they just sore like a bit red and visible or cracked, bleeding open wounds? If they aren't open wounds don't put anything on them, this will only make them worse.

Sorry I can't answer your question but you can find some info in the Health section stickies under Old Useful Topics. Deep soft hay is very good.

Are they just sore like a bit red and visible or cracked, bleeding open wounds? If they aren't open wounds don't put anything on them, this will only make them worse.

I would agree with this. Also Nat at Buddies told me carpet can make hocks worse and deep hay is best as Tonibun said.

Beyond that I would apply sudocrem 2-3 times a day. Vet bed should be ok but a duvet might be nice too. not sure about foam other than that it will be really difficult to clean if it absorbs wee.

I cant help weedug but I know its difficult if they are outdoor buns... Willow had sore hocks and it was made worse when it was wet outside!,

Lotsaluv
fee x

Thankfully, Bub is indoors, so don't need to worry about him getting wet. We have laminate so I'm putting pads or vet bed down in the areas he likes to spend time sitting in most. I might try a smaller duvet in his cage and see if that helps too. He always uses his litter tray, but can spill some water when he takes to going in there and throwing his toys around :roll:

The hocks are very red, and seem slightly cracked but don't appear to be bleeding. I would say they are borderline as to whether to use the cream or not.

Thankfully, Bub is indoors, so don't need to worry about him getting wet. We have laminate so I'm putting pads or vet bed down in the areas he likes to spend time sitting in most. I might try a smaller duvet in his cage and see if that helps too. He always uses his litter tray, but can spill some water when he takes to going in there and throwing his toys around :roll:

The hocks are very red, and seem slightly cracked but don't appear to be bleeding. I would say they are borderline as to whether to use the cream or not.

I would say that you'd probably have to cover all of the area that he has not just the places he spends most time sitting. Maybe try the foam mats, I have them and have no problems with them at all. Wipe clean and soft on little paws :)

Moley had sore hocks when he was living indoors and I tried carpet, fleece etc but nothing worked the only thing that claered them up was a massive coverage of hay, now he has no problem with them at all! Fingers crossed it stays that way.:)

I hope you figure something out and Bubbles hocks get better quickly.

I would say that you'd probably have to cover all of the area that he has not just the places he spends most time sitting. Maybe try the foam mats, I have them and have no problems with them at all. Wipe clean and soft on little paws :)

I can't cover all the area he has. He runs around my lounge and kitchen and can't re-floor them. He has his special places for his naps, so spends quite a while either sleeping in his cage, in front of his cage or under my seat.

I have some of the foam mats too, so might try them out.

Sore hocks can be a secondary symptom of an arthritic condition in the hips and/or spine. Has your Vet checked for this possibility ?

He's been on metacam for some time for arthritic pain. It was my old vet who saw him then though, so might be worth having it looked at again at some point.

Back