• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit breeding age? And are other does a threat?

emm_lamb

New Kit
I was just wondering is there a age when rabbits can no longer breed? Or shouldn't?
But my real question is are other does a threat to the babies?
I have three does, and one them (Zoe) is the mother of the other two, who are now grown up but have always lived with together. Zoe is 'pregnant' again, and I was wondering if the other two does are a threat to the kits? I really hope not because it will be horrible to split them.

Does aged over 3 should be retired from breeding. If she has had numerous litters she should be retired at 18 months- 2 years. Some breeders do not do so though, to the detriment of the health and welfare of the Doe in my opinion. Older Does who have never kindled or have had just one previous litter may have a lot of problems due to the accumulation of fat around the reproductive organs.

Some Breeders claim that keeping Breeding Does together is OK. I have no first hand experience of doing this so I cannot comment. I would be inclined to remove the two younger Does from Zoe when she approaches her due date. I would keep Zoe in the environment she is familiar with.

The kits should be safe from the other 2 rabbits. It's males that can kill babies. Mum is still the main breeder of the three and the other 2 should respect the kits' presence. How old is Mum?

Thanks for the replies :)
Zoe's four. Im a quite worried. It was an accident. And I'm hoping that everything will be ok because I don't know what I'd do with out Zoe. I've tried checking to see if I can feel any kits, but I couldn't with her last babies, which she had when she was 2, her stomach is quite firm and she doesn't like me touching around there - she's not normally one to jump at me. She's still been dominating the other two girls which could suggest that she's not pregnant?

Zoe's four. Im a quite worried. It was an accident. And I'm hoping that everything will be ok because I don't know what I'd do with out Zoe. I've tried checking to see if I can feel any kits, but I couldn't with her last babies, which she had when she was 2, her stomach is quite firm and she doesn't like me touching around there - she's not normally one to jump at me. She's still been dominating the other two girls which could suggest that she's not pregnant?

If it was an accident is an emergency spay an option? I know it's not nice to think about but it could be best for them all in the long run.

When did the 'accident' occur ? If it was within the last 10 days then an emergency spay may be something to consider. However, the risks of this in a Doe of 4 with an established pregnancy would need to be weighed up against the risks of a 4 year old Doe giving birth to just a 2nd litter. Both carry the chance of complications and a Rabbit Savvy Vet would be the best person to advise you as to the 'safest' course of action for Zoe.

Once this immediate situation is resolved I would strongly advise you to get your Does spayed. Not only will this prevent any further 'accidents' but it will also prevent the very real risk of them developing Uterine Cancer

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/uterine.htm

If you have not yet done so please get the wayward Buck castrated ASAP too !

Shes 'due' next week, and hopefully everything will turn out ok, ideal being no babies, or a safe birth and healthy babies and not having to split up the lil family.
Don't worry Im doing everything i can to prevent this scare happening again!

Shes 'due' next week, and hopefully everything will turn out ok, ideal being no babies, or a safe birth and healthy babies and not having to split up the lil family.
Don't worry Im doing everything i can to prevent this scare happening again!

Getting her speyed afterwards would definitely stop any accidents. Does over 5 that are unspeyed have a very high risk of cancer, so this is another reason to spey. :thumb:

I hope your pregnant doe will be ok. At 4 yrs old she should be if she has been looked after well during her life. They usually stop reproducing at around 5. Good luck for next week.

just for the sake of updates, thought id let you all know that Zoe turned out not to be pregnant. which is good because we are about to go in to another very hot summer and we really have no space for more bunnies! Thanks for every bodies replies!!

just for the sake of updates, thought id let you all know that Zoe turned out not to be pregnant. which is good because we are about to go in to another very hot summer and we really have no space for more bunnies! Thanks for every bodies replies!!

That's good news. Have you arranged to have her spayed now - does are at a very high risk of uterine cancer if they are not spayed.

Back