• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny gets increased breathing...clues on what this could mean?

chelle

Warren Veteran
A friend has a bunny who is about3/4 years old and got stasis from what I can tell the toher day - vet treated, pain relief...probiotics given. But he appears to have rather increased breathing now & then. He seems still quite happy but his breathing seems to be fast now & then. Any ideas of what this could be a symptom of and for vets to check?

Stasis is often a secondary problem ie when a rabbit feels unwell and goes off their food they stop eating as much and their gut then stops moving etc. and they end up with stasis.

Breathing could be effected by lots of things, a respiratory infection or something effecting the lungs, or something effecting the heart. I think the vet will start by listening to her heart and lungs and take it from there :)

Stasis is often a secondary problem ie when a rabbit feels unwell and goes off their food they stop eating as much and their gut then stops moving etc. and they end up with stasis.

Breathing could be effected by lots of things, a respiratory infection or something effecting the lungs, or something effecting the heart. I think the vet will start by listening to her heart and lungs and take it from there :)

I agree and also increased respiratory rate can be a symptom of pain. Another Vet check is definitely needed.

Thankyou guys....as far as I know - the heart & lungs were listened too and nothing odd noticed. :-/ Bunny has no mucus around nose & there is no obvious signs of teeth issues either. But the panting / rapid breathing can be seen quite visually when looking at the buns body.

Thankyou guys....as far as I know - the heart & lungs were listened too and nothing odd noticed. :-/ Bunny has no mucus around nose & there is no obvious signs of teeth issues either. But the panting / rapid breathing can be seen quite visually when looking at the buns body.

What is the Rabbit doing when the respiratory rate/effort is elevated ?

What is the Rabbit doing when the respiratory rate/effort is elevated ?

Hi
Ive invited the owner to join RU - so hopefully they can enlighten more...but when I saw the bun - it was doing nothing really active...just hopped over to meet me & around the kitchen abit and then ate some apple branches/leaves & plantain I had bought...then just sat there for bit ....so no running or jumping about much. You could see his body/breathing moving rapidly as he sat there. He is not neutered if that makes any difference.

Hi
Ive invited the owner to join RU - so hopefully they can enlighten more...but when I saw the bun - it was doing nothing really active...just hopped over to meet me & around the kitchen abit and then ate some apple branches/leaves & plantain I had bought...then just sat there for bit ....so no running or jumping about much. You could see his body/breathing moving rapidly as he sat there. He is not neutered if that makes any difference.

I would still advise the owner to get the Rabbit re-examined by a Vet. Taking a video of the episodes of increased respiratory rate/effort may be useful too. It would show the Vet how the problem presents on a daily basis as in a strange environment (at the Vets) Rabbits often become stressed anyway, which in turn causes increased respiratory rate and increased heart rate. So assessing the problem can be tricky.

Thanks...Ive linked the owners ot this thread & they have replied to me that since i saw the bunny..he has regained his appetite after his stasis..has become more like his old self..and they are convinced the stasis was due to a heavy moult. I'll pass on this info - thankyou! Problem is also the vets didnt pick up on it the first time..dont think they know what they are looking for. Will pass on info...

Last edited:
Back