• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny bites

Jem n Flo

Warren Scout
Was deemed worthy enough to give Marley a good snuggle today and I think I may have discovered the cause of his grumpiness....he has 2 bite wounds which I can only assume Flo must have done

Ive never noticed her bully him, I check her for bites as he is grumpy but didn't for a moment expect marley to get any bites

one is obviously old as its healed and v clean, the other is newer as its not fully scabbed over yet but is very clean and tidy, I put some wound powder on it to encourage it to heal

Im not really sure what to do now, should I just keep an eye on them? do I panic about splitting them up or do buns sometimes have punch ups? feel bad for the lil munchkin :(

If you are keeping them together then you need to be very vigilant re the dynamics of their relationship to try to establish what is going on and what is triggering aggression. Bite wounds run a high risk of becoming infected leading to all sorts of problems, so if in any doubt at all about how the wounds are looking it is necessary to consult a Vet. Puncture wounds caused by bites can heal on the surface but underneath there can be a lot of bacteria. This then results in the formation of an abscess. Rabbit abscesses are often very problematic to treat.

im starting to feel a bit useless with these buns :( i think all is fine and they are usually snuggled up or flopped out together, and seems i dont really know whats going on at all *sigh*

I know George got a couple of bites when I was bonding him with my Bridge bun Gemma. I felt awful but the vet checked him over and there was nothing that needed to be done as the wounds were clean and not infected in any way. I was putting sudacrem on and continued to do this.

When I was trying to bond Sam's Marnie with Hovis poor Marnie got some awful bites that needed expensive veterinary treatment.

Is it now that you are off work? I'm not working tomorrow if you are around at all?

heya, no one more week at work before im off but should be around tomorrow here n there, will pm u my number and maybe we can arrange for u to come see the little mischiefs?

heya, no one more week at work before im off but should be around tomorrow here n there, will pm u my number and maybe we can arrange for u to come see the little mischiefs?

Got PM. Will text you tomorrow. Would love to come and visit. I think you have a dog/s? I love dogs:):) as well as other furries.

Back