• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss and small poo in my 5 year old dwarf lop doe!

Hi - we are looking for any advice we can get to help our bunny. We have 6 Dwarf Lop rabbits, and Puddles, our eldest female is sick at the moment. About a month ago she developed a lump under her ear and we noticed she wasn’t eating properly. She wasn’t really pooing either. We went to the vets they investigated the lump; there’s no puss so she was just treated for stress and given anti-biotic and something to help her digestion, together with a pain killer. She seemed to recover but in the last week she has gone off her feed again and her weight has dropped again quiet dramatically. She has now lost about 35% of her body weight (normally 2.2 lbs), despite eating fresh foods, timothy hay, fresh fruit and vegetables and anything else I can get her to eat! Her teeth check out fine. She seems to be loosing more weight daily. Her poop is very small, like a very young rabbit and she will not eat her regular rabbit food. The vets have now suggested X-rays, and we may have no choice but to pursue this, but I thought I'd check around out there to see if anyone has experienced this before and might have some direction for us to go. She’s always been a very affectionate rabbit but is also very independent and ‘head strong’ but she is craving LOADS of affection and attention at the moment. (nibbles then wants attention etc) She is in the house with us in the day time to help us keep an eye on her and to keep her warm due to the weight loss!

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks

Pam

Last edited:
Hi Pam

Just wondering if she has been spayed?

If everything 'looks' ok then the X-rays will be a good idea, and maybe do blood tests. I think certain kidney/liver problems can cause weight loss.

I'm no expert, but I'm sure someone will come along with better advice soon!

I expect the small poops are due to the not eating due to the not feeling well. Have you had her teeth checked? I think maybe some bloods/teeth checked should be the first thing. Also how old is she? Is she spayed and has she had her vaccinations? I take it all other buns are fine?

Is she spayed, and has the lump under her ear changed any? If no pus came out of it, what did come out? Rabbit pus in very thick.

Hi All,
Thanks for the responses.

No she's not spayed, had bucks done instead of does!

She's 5, and usually really health. She's only eating greens and fruit, and salted popcorn and very little of this. My gut feeling is to have her teeth rechecked but because she's eating the popcorn I'm not sure this is the problem really. A friend suggested I have her checked for parasites but again her coat is in amazing condition so doubt this is the problem!!

It's pretty important to get does spayed, over the age of 4 80% of rabbits get uterine cancer.

How is her ear? If the lump is an infection this could be causing her great pain which in turn can stop her eating. Has she had the x rays?

As for feeding, I'd cut out the salted popcorn, I've never heard of feeding that to rabbits and I think it's probably very bad for them to have. Is she eating her hay/pellets/veggies ok?

Hi All,
Thanks for the responses.

No she's not spayed, had bucks done instead of does!

She's 5, and usually really health. She's only eating greens and fruit, and salted popcorn and very little of this. My gut feeling is to have her teeth rechecked but because she's eating the popcorn I'm not sure this is the problem really. A friend suggested I have her checked for parasites but again her coat is in amazing condition so doubt this is the problem!!

As already mentioned, no salted popcorn. This is not suitable for rabbits. Having read your thread, I think that a trip to the vets with a view to your bunny have some x-rays and blood tests is the next step. Something sinister may be lurking which if not dealt with now, could easily get worse. Is she were my bunny, that is what I would be looking to do.....asap too.

Best of luck.

I know the popcorns not good but she isnt really eating much and there's only so much of the peppers, apple, I can give her! Even the trusty rocket isnt tempting her!! We're off to the vets again tomorrow (Sunday). Poor baby is soooo not her usual self. :-((

Back