• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What weight do people start considering their rabbits as "medium" "large" etc?

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
What weight do people start considering their rabbits as "medium" "large" etc?

Everyone who sees my two says they're massive, they're not, I always respond with "actually they're medium bunnies" but Lilly has grown :shock: but I was wondering if she now actually might count as a large bunny?

We just had a weigh-in and she's now 3.5kg! I could tell she's grown, she's not overweight though, it's still easy to feel her ribs, spine and hips and she's still very active. Over the last year she has gradually put on 0.5kg, and her body shape has changed from her extremely slender, super long body of when she was younger, to a more proportioned adult shape. Her 2nd birthday is next week and I only really think she's stopped growing/changing to adult shape recently :shock: so maybe one of her ancestors was a giant?!?!?!

So would anyone count 3.5kg as large for a bunny? Or is she still a medium girl?

Harvey is definitely a medium, his weight fluctuates between 2.3 and 2.4 kg :D

This is obviously not actually important, I was just wondering what other people thought :p

I would say 3.5 is the top end of medium. For me large is over 4kg and under 2kg is small :)

Thanks :) I've always thought over 3kg was large, until Lilly went over it and although she looks large compared to Harvey, I still think she's a very averagely sized rabbit! She surely can't grow anymore though, she's too old!!

Loosely, I'd probably say under 2kg is small

2-4.5kg I'd consider to be medium and over 4.5kg I'd think of as large (although 4.5kg would be a very small large, IYSWIM).

My lot range from 6kg to 8kg so are definitely large!

Last edited:
I think my interpretation of sizes has always been a bit off :oops:

I've always thought:
Small = <1.8kg
Medium = 1.8 - 3 kg
Large = 3 - 5 kg
Giant = >5kg

Well I reckon I'll keep on telling me friends she's a medium bunny rabbit and shocking them! :p They all compare mine to the wildies all over campus which are tiny (most that are actually out to see are this year's litters I reckon, they haven't learnt how to hide as well as their bigger parents!!). I was wondering whether my ideas were a bit off, she is ridiculously long (about 3 foot when fully stretched!) but I still don't think of her as big, despite her weight being in my previous idea of large!

People always say Fiver and Crunchie are big. They are only just over 3kg. I definately think of them as medium buns, its just that most of my other buns are small (Nethie, mini lop etc) which makes them look bigger. They are also pure muscle so even though I have a couple of other medium buns around 2.5kg they look more impressive. They were from an accidental litter I collected from the free adds and their daddy was a very powerful looking rex, so I think they get it from him.

I was told Lola was Dwarf lop but i dont think she is a dwarf. She is a year old now. She weights around 3.2 kg but i can feel her spine and ribs but she looks massive.

I think my interpretation of sizes has always been a bit off :oops:

I've always thought:
Small = <1.8kg
Medium = 1.8 - 3 kg
Large = 3 - 5 kg
Giant = >5kg

Well I reckon I'll keep on telling me friends she's a medium bunny rabbit and shocking them! :p They all compare mine to the wildies all over campus which are tiny (most that are actually out to see are this year's litters I reckon, they haven't learnt how to hide as well as their bigger parents!!). I was wondering whether my ideas were a bit off, she is ridiculously long (about 3 foot when fully stretched!) but I still don't think of her as big, despite her weight being in my previous idea of large!

Tbh id have thought those sizes were "right" or there abouts. Id have probably said a small bun was 1.6 and under, medium 1.7 - 3/3.5kg, large 3/3.5 - 5kg and giants over 5kg. I definately think there should be a distinction between a large "normal" bun and a giant.

My buns are definately small (the largest is 1.55kg full grown and the smallest is my youngster at a mere 320g he can sit easily into the palm of my hand (we expect him to make a max of around 800-900g))

Tbh id have thought those sizes were "right" or there abouts. Id have probably said a small bun was 1.6 and under, medium 1.7 - 3/3.5kg, large 3/3.5 - 5kg and giants over 5kg. I definately think there should be a distinction between a large "normal" bun and a giant.

My buns are definately small (the largest is 1.55kg full grown and the smallest is my youngster at a mere 320g he can sit easily into the palm of my hand (we expect him to make a max of around 800-900g))

320g :shock: I cannot imagine that! How old is he? Neither of mine were small when I first met them, in fact they were probably both 2kg, but I got Lilly at 3 months old and Harvey at 5 months old!

320g :shock: I cannot imagine that! How old is he? Neither of mine were small when I first met them, in fact they were probably both 2kg, but I got Lilly at 3 months old and Harvey at 5 months old!

He is only nine weeks and his mom and dad were only around 800-900g. He fits perfectly in the palm of my hand and my hands aren't very big. Even lying fully out stretched or standing stretching up on his back legs periscoping hes only about 25cm tall! Hes an absolute dot. Plus would you believe he wasnt even the littlest in the litter!?! Hes mega confident too, nothing scares him. Tbh if i hadnt first seen him when he was 4 weeks i dont think id have believed he was 8.5 when i collected him, hes just so tiny.

I've got a little girl whose nearly 3 months and 800g, i was only expecting her to be around 1kg based on her parents but think she might get bigger. Then i have two 3yr olds who are 1.3 and 1.6kg and even thats small enough for them to pass each other inside a runaround tube.

Last edited:
I think it depends on breed too! Mine are about 4kgs each, but they are californians. They are short and dumpy, just how the breed is supposed to be, but I wouldn't consider them large, they look like a medium sized bunnies to me :)

You see I don't go by weight.

Gracie is a New Zealand white, she is a 'giant breed' but weighs just 3.5kg, she isn't underweight or skeletal, but she's incredibly 'long' and slender.

I'd say she's a large bunny, but I've seen bigger ;)

Back