• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucus on droppings - any ideas?

I've noticed some large (double size) and soft droppings with a mucus coating over the last 2 days. 99% have been normal, but when I went in this morning my I found two trails of just mucus and my little girl had done 3 wet droppings (almost half dry half cecal) in a small puddle on the floor which is unlike her.

I know she has a tendency to not eat her cecals when she is stressed (last time during bonding), but have not seen this large wet style before. The mucus is very thick and sticky.

They have one eggcup each of a mix of PaH and SS pellets a day (she lived on PaH for 2 years before I got her, and I've not changed over completely as she was a bit delicate at first).
I got a new bale of hay from a different supplier last week and they are drinking/eating a lot. They also get a small amount of cabbage/brocolli/carrot every day.

Any ideas what might be causing the mucus and what to do about it? I am thinking of reducing pellets and veg.

Thanks

I think you need to take her to the vet to be checked over, as this is not normal and rabbits can go downhill extremely quickly.

Yes definitely take her to the vet, with a poo sample if you can. My bun mumu had mucus on his poo and they ran blood tests and a faecal sample. He was given bio-lapis pro biotic to help but he did go downhill very quickly so I would see a vet ASAP

The OH is at home keeping an eye on her at the moment, but will take her to the vets as soon as I can (at work atm). She seems fine currently, eating lots of hay and demanding strokes apparently.

Mucus-coated poop can indicate a sluggish gut (slipping into stasis or recovering from stasis) or an infection so worth seeking advice if it continues for more than a few hours.

Hope bunny is doing ok...I cut out the cabbage & broccoli for a bit...they can cause gassy tums...so wont help if upset gut. arrot should also only be given every so often as its high in calcium...if they have cloudy wee...its the calcium showing. Hay. fresh brambles, ribwort plantain all high in fibre might help. But a vet check would help guide you.

Thanks for all your replies. No sign of her gut slowing down, but increased hair in her droppings.
The vets recommendation is a bit of pineapple juice in her water for a few days as the enzymes help the mucus/hair break down and pass through. And of course, keep her under observation, make sure she is eating/pooing normally and moving about.
So sorry about Mumu, that must've been hard on you :(.

My rabbit has had mucusy poos recently - I took him to the vet about possible EC (unrelated to the poos) but along with the EC medicines, he was given some Zantac (anti-acid?) and Fibreplex for two days, to improve his gut bacteria - so many different medicines I've had to write a tick-chart of what he gets and when. The vet said historically they would have fed him another rabbit's poos, so now when I find an uneaten soft poo in the hutch (not sure whose) I offer it to him and he usually scoffs it down as if it is a real treat - no more kisses for him, I think. It does seem to be making a difference, his poos are healthier looking - not fully 100% in size due to the EC and not being able to get around to eat so easily, but not jelly like any more.

Back