• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sad news, can anyone help? happy update

curlyanwurly

Warren Scout
We have had to make the horrible decision to re home harvey:cry: we rescued him from a 5ft square chicken coop with no shelter and chickens that pecked him. We were hoping to keep him indoors and to eventually get him a friend. When we first got him he would nip us randomly on odd occasions which I was hoping would get better but it has got worse amd now my two teenagers and the cat are scared of hom. He also runs at us which can be intimidating so we tjink it best if we let him go to someone who is more experianced with giant breeds that have had traumatic pasts and who can give him a friend to bond with. I love him and all my buns and feel a bit of a failure for having to rehome him:oops: but feel its in his best interests

I have contacted a couple of rescues but was wondering if anyone onhere could help. He is neuted but no jabs as he lives indoors. He is house trained and can be very loving too and I will really miss him

Last edited:
I'm really sorry, must be so hard... But you are thinking of him... I hope someone can help.xx

Before making the final decision to re-home him, has he had a vet check to make sure there is nothing wrong with his health (teeth pehaps) that makes him behave in this way? Has he been neutered?

I think a vet check is a good idea, especially as the behaviour isn't constant and sometimes he's a nice friendly bun.

Otherwise, where about are you? Maybe if someone close to you sees this they may be able to offer him a home.

I would also have him vaccinated when you take him for a vet check, indoor bunnies need them too and personally I would never adopt an unvaccinated bun so it might help with rehoming if you do decide to continue down that route.

I hope you manage to sort it out, and don't feel bad you are only wanting what's best for him! :wave:

He has had a health check and the vet said all was ok and he has been neuted aswell. The kids are scared of him a d wont come I the kitchen cause he either charges at them or nips them as they walk through the gate. Weve tried being firm and sayi g no. Tried ignoring him and tried talking to him as we come through and stroking him over the gate first before entering the room but none have worked. I do feel bad but I cant have him stay here as its not fair on the kids or my older cat who he attacks too.

I think you need to have him vaccinated before re-homing: all rabbits need them regardless of whether they are indoors or outside, and personally I wouldn't take on an unvaccinated rabbit. Sorry you are faced with this.

Not long then. Does he have a large dog crate with a run attached?

No he has free run ofvthe kitchen and dinning room when im at work with a big hay tray, bed, and water bowl then at night he comes in the living room, hes too bigvtoo leave in a crate even with a run attatched

No he has free run ofvthe kitchen and dinning room when im at work with a big hay tray, bed, and water bowl then at night he comes in the living room, hes too bigvtoo leave in a crate even with a run attatched

That could well be his problem, then - he feels insecure. Most indoor rabbits do like a 'base', ie crate with attached run, so that they have a safe place of their own, with bed, hay, water and litter tray etc. The door to the run/crate can be left open, but it is 'his' safe place to retreat to or come out of as he wants.

Given his experience in his last home, he isn't going to learn to trust again very quickly.

2 months is not enough time for a bun to truly settle in. Can you not buy him a big pen and crate, this way your kids and cat can walk around freely without the worry of being attacked whilst you let him settle and teach him that nipping is certainly not an acceptable behaviour.
It sounds as though he is being territorial or maybe insecure. My Xena used to charge out from under my bed and bite my ankles when I first got her. It's taken her about a year to really settle down and stop nipping altogether. She is now a truly loving rabbit and loves asking for nose rubs and kisses. It just took her a while to realise that humans aren't bad, and that nipping was not the way to ask for something.

If I were you, I would try everything before rehoming him, just because there aren't many homes out there and most of the rescues are very full. Get him vaccinated asap. I would change your vets too, as they don't sound rabbit savvy; all rabbits need vaccinating as the diseases are spread via mosquitoes and biting insects, which can easily enter your house. There has been a lot of buns catching myxi recently so please get him vaccinated. If you take him to a rescue and he is not vaccinated he will be even more at risk.

Last edited:
And given the fact my kids and cat feel uncomfortable around him he needs to be rehomed

I think babsie was only trying to give u some friendly advice. Bunnies take a while to settle in to their homes ....they are sensitive things that require alot of time and patience to build up trust. Once they have trust in you they are amazing pets and very rewarding.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

And given the fact my kids and cat feel uncomfortable around him he needs to be rehomed

There are options to try and solve his behavioural issues as others have suggested.

Are you willing to try or do you definitely want to re home?

Hopefully someone on here can help.

I am sorry you need to rehome your bunny but I agree that it is the right decision if you arent confident enough to work with him and of course you would also need the rest of the family to work with him to which I appreciaye would be difficult.

Eta and well done for rescuing him in the first place and at least giving him a chance x

I wish you the best of luck finding him the right home. Maybe a fresh start with someone who knows exactly what they are taking him on is just what he needs.

Back