• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jasper & Lola Castrate/Spay- Pre-op shock=Lola is a HE! Post op meds advice welcomed.

Dippy_Danni

Warren Scout
Jasper & Lola Castrate/Spay- Pre-op shock=Lola is a HE! Post op meds advice welcomed.

So, I thought I'd found a lovely wifebun for Jasper when I took on a sweet brown/white Dutch some weeks ago.

They have been kept indoors in separate accommodation, Jasper has his 2 tier hutch and Lola has a dog crate. Free range time has had to be shared so 1 is out while the other is put inside.
They seem to have been bonding when Lola is inside the crate. They lie together with just the bars between them.

Pooping and now, peeing, has been a complete nightmare, both have got into the habit of leaving 'presents' outside the other's accommodation. Buying extra litter trays has eased the problem but hasn't stopped it and it's starting to wear a bit thin. I want them to be house buns but really can't live life in a big rabbit toilet.

Everything made sense at the Pre-op check on Wednesday evening - I've got 2 bucks competing for the territory! They are constantly marking and over marking

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry when the vet said Lola is actually a male. I do bum checking! The operating vet gave him a good going over in a health check when I 1st had him and he was also checked over by another vet when we went for the vaccinations.
Yet there 'they' we're for all to see on Wednesday!!

So yesterday we had 1 x 1 castrate for the ladyboy and 1 x 1 Cryptorchid Castrate for Jasper who had 1 testicle undescended - They had to go in through his tummy :? (we knew about that already)

Picked them both up last night and had a good talk with the vet.
The Dutch was eating, pooping, drinking really well by 10/11pm-ish
Jasper was the most groggy as he'd had his op much later and it was a much bigger op, so it was a very late night getting to sleep waiting to make sure he was eating properly. There we're no poops by 1am when I fell asleep on the sofa, but there was a nice collection of them this morning.

I've called the vet as neither of them have been sent home with any pain relief. They've said both we're given injections for the pain which should last 24hrs. I don't think that's enough but never been through this before so need advice from those who have.
I am taking them both in to be checked at 6pm.

Lola (not got round to picking a boy name yet!) has been quite perky and just as lively. Jasper perks up and seems inquisitive when you go up to him but on the whole seems quiet and he has a larger than life character generally.

He chattered his teeth earlier but I can't say for sure it was grinding rather than pleasure. I was stroking him at the time.

List of drugs given are:
DOMITOR INJ
KETASET INJ
ANTISEDAN INJ
LOXICOM INJ
And Baytril INJ

I know Baytril is an antibiotic but don't know what any of the others are for.

Time to get ready for the vets. Will update later.

Loxicom is the pain relief. If you're not happy ask for some more, they should give it, just say they're showing signs of pain. Keta... Is the sedation and the one underneath it the sedation antidote I think. Not sure about the other one.

It's normal for them to be off for a couple of days and it sounds like you're doing everything right.

How about Logan?

Loxicom is the pain relief. If you're not happy ask for some more, they should give it, just say they're showing signs of pain. Keta... Is the sedation and the one underneath it the sedation antidote I think. Not sure about the other one.

It's normal for them to be off for a couple of days and it sounds like you're doing everything right.

How about Logan?[/QUOTE]

Don't know where my brain is - I read that and thought 'who is Logan' :roll:

Yes, that's a nice similar-sounding name to Lola.

I think a few of us on here (including me) have been in similar position with rabbit sexes. ;)

My Jasper had the same op - undescended testicle, they went in through his stomach. He had injections and no extra pain relief but TBH it didn't seem like he needed it because he was trying to binky and flop less than 6 hours after coming home :shock::shock::shock: If you think they're in pain and need it, then ask for it, they won't say no :wave::wave:

Update.
Mr dutch bunny has chewed all of his stitches out on his right side so he is now trumpeted up with a plastic collar - I think they gave him the smallest size but have still had to cut it down by half the width as there was no way he'd have been able to get to his hay, food etc.

There's still enough to keep him away from the bits he shouldn't be trying to eat! :lol:

He had a hissy fit for a few minutes but is nice and chilled again now he's been wearing it a while.

Jasper's doing ok, his tummy scar is perfect, no redness or swelling. His temp was fine. The part where he had his testicle removed is still swollen but the wound is clean etc.

I feel better for going anyway :thumb:
There's a scheduled check up on saturday, then they just want to see Jasper 1 more time on Nov 16th.

I think a few of us on here (including me) have been in similar position with rabbit sexes. ;)

Don't know where my brain is - I read that and thought 'who is Logan'

Yes, that's a nice similar-sounding name to Lola.

I just hope I can bond these 2 males, it's not the match I had intended but I'm hopeful as they show a lot of interest in each other,

I had the Dutch bunny from someone a friend of mine knows and was told the age was 16wks.

I had a health check done within 2 days and the vet had a good rummage everywhere, so did the 1 who gave the vaccine about 2 weeks later.

What we saw this week was very small - does breed affect size? If so I need a size comparison between a Mini-Rex and a Dutch lol They are the same body size more or less but the Dutch is now heavier than the Rex by just over half a Kilo.

I admit to having a feel when we got home and they we're just pea sized. Jasper had a respectable grape sized 1, you couldn't miss it lol.

I have to wonder if he is just reaching the 16 to 20 weeks stage now where they reach maturity and bits appear. I hope not, I kept Jasper on a young rabbit feed an extra 2 weeks so I could swap them both onto the adult variety at the same time and it would mean the other little fella moved up too soon.

Logan? hmmm - I had just decided I was quite drawn to Merlin as his new name and have been mulling it over in my head but Logan I like :mrgreen:
Now I'm torn... :?

My Jasper had the same op - undescended testicle, they went in through his stomach.

Is it in the name do you think? :lol:
They had to go in through the stomach with mine too.

The person I saw yesterday morning when I dropped them off said it's very rare for a bun to have a cryptorchid but I am seeing and reading posts about it more and more.

Back