• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Luna Is Being Spayed Tomorrow Morning :S *U/D PICS* Back, Pooing, Eating

Dawn&Leila

Warren Scout
I am quite nervous and worried for her, more so than with Leo as it's a bigger Op, and she'll be the first female i've cared for post-spay. It's a great surgery with great reputation (if a little steep in price ::shock:) They ring at around midday to let you know how it went. Then I'm collecting after work at around half five if they're satisfied they've seen her eat etc.. They send you home with a care package of metacam and critical care just incase. I fed it to Leo on the first night as he barely ate anything.

I've ordered a soft bed for her so she can be comfortable and not have hay stabbing her wound. I've also ordered some Pro C, dried pinapple and vermex treats. I've got all her favourite foods, kale, broc, carrot w/tops, parsley and coriander and her packed her a little lunch for when she wakes up :oops:

I'm now debating whether to use the spotted black, suitcase material rabbit carrier I bought or the classic plastic style cat carrier? The former's on the small side and although it does have enough breathing holes/mesh it is black and it's material so it gets warm especially with her nervously panting away in there. On the plus side it opens at the side and is easy to get her in and out plus she'll see less and feel more enclosed..

it's this - http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_carriers_travel/cat_carriers_kennels/262137

Either way I'll put in a cosy fleece blanket for her..

Despite the nerves I'm excited and glad it's finally happening, so that in a few weeks I can begin the full bonding of her and Leo. Life has thus far gotten in the way of booking it, I wanted to have the month ahead free of obligations/holidays so I can care for her post spay and begin the bonding and the timing is perfect now. I must admit they have been playing together on and off as Leo is neutered and also swapping cages to stop them being too territorial. They can touch through the bars at all times as well. Leo is quite docile with her until Luna 'faux' nips him one too many times, she likes to fur pull, or mouth/lightly nip in a nervous manor. She even 'moves my hands out of the way' with her mouth :shock: He doesn't do much back just annoys her by following her and chasing if he's had enough. Luna is VERY vocal though and will honk/grunt constantly at certain times if he's within 2 foot radius!! They have both groomed each other though at various points. I dont expect a miracle bond but if the spay stops Luna's nipping and honking I don't think much else will get in the way of their love :love: *touch wood* :?

Now to try and get a half decent sleep before I wake with the sunrise, which is not my normal sleeping pattern :p

Last edited:
Best of luck to Luna today. I hope it all goes smoothly. I would recommend using the plastic carrier and putting a nice soft fleece blanket or towel on the bottom. That's what I have done with all my neuters and spays and they were very comfortable this way :)

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Best of luck to Luna today. I hope it all goes smoothly. I would recommend using the plastic carrier and putting a nice soft fleece blanket or towel on the bottom. That's what I have done with all my neuters and spays and they were very comfortable this way :)

I did go for the plastic case in the end with newspaper and two fleece blankets. They leave it in the cage for them as comfort.. The vet nurse asked so many questions this time and did all the checks again, which i don't think they did for Leo. She didn't know the price though and i couldn't remember as it was ages ago i was quoted but knew it was over £100. The vet nurse said at least 150 which sounded wrong as Leos nueterwas £90. Checked at reception and on price list rabbit spay was £111. They wont need to charge me for critical care either as i have several at home! :shock:

Just finished disinfecting all her cage, litter tray etc and got all blankets on a boil wash for her. I only got a few hours sleep so im off to bed for a bit more sleep before work at 12, the i pick her up at 5:30

Today is gonna be LONG! :cry: i felt so mean leaving her there this morning, and all those questions about her health and checks just make you start second guessing yourself! But i had yo do it, no way could i let her be a ticking time bomb of female bunny health probs.. I just hope she recovers quick,
Girls are generally toughher than boys anyway so we'll see!

I'd say you can't wait for today to be over and have her home with you. The spays are usually more expensive as it is more invasive.

I agree that females kind of tolerate pain etc better than the males. All my males have been quite mopey and have felt sorry for themselves for a while after their neuters but the females have perked up quicker and get on with things.

It sounds like you are well prepared and I'm sure she is in good hands.it's good that they asked all the questions.better to be safe than sorry :)

Now go get some sleep !!!! You must be exhausted. Keep us updated ;)

I'd say you can't wait for today to be over and have her home with you. The spays are usually more expensive as it is more invasive.

I agree that females kind of tolerate pain etc better than the males. All my males have been quite mopey and have felt sorry for themselves for a while after their neuters but the females have perked up quicker and get on with things.

It sounds like you are well prepared and I'm sure she is in good hands.it's good that they asked all the questions.better to be safe than sorry :)

Now go get some sleep !!!! You must be exhausted. Keep us updated ;)

Thanks guys,

I got word at half ten that the surgery was done already and it went smoothly with 'no bleeding' which sounds good and thats shes waking up. The vet said the nurses will begin to syringe feed her critical care soon to keep her gut moving. Shes being put on antibiotics too as he said 'rabbits are like small horses and when going into their abdomen are prone to infection' i had to try and sound coherent on the phone but really i was half asleep and confused :p

Leo was very mopey indeed, for at least 3 days! So interested to see if there'll be a difference with my two!

Yep, i definitely cant wait to have my little bubba girl back here to take over the care!!

Will keep you guys posted later, am off to work now x

Luna is back and well!

When I got there I had to wait half an hour just to collect her though, event though I was 5/10 mins late to the appoinment. Which I thought was a bit odd, the ladies were lovely to chat to at reception but I just felt bad as my boss with a car full of teenagers had offered to take me there instead me cycle (I live 1 min away on bike from the vet). I was finally taken into the room and the nurse was nice but in no hurry, had my salad lunch box and all the meds etc but forgot my jar of pellets, so he went to get them and some syringes after a lot of thumbling and looking for things and long winded talk (all the while I'm thinking, my boss is never going to offer this again!) Then finally he says, "right I think that's everything" and smiles... Except, I have no rabbit!!! I look at him and I didn't want to embaress him too much so I played dumb and asked "where do I pick her up?" (knowing full well he's meant to bring her in! He said "Yes, I think she's already in her carrier through here" and went to get her! Haha! I think he thought I might not have noticed but I could tell he was a bit flustered :p I think it must have been a long day for him! He did say she was a very sweet girl though so I'll let him off!

Luckily the snuggley warm bed arrived (http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Products/CA1503/snuggles-bedding-luxury-plush-bed)

She went straight to it and fell asleep. She did nibble a tiny piece of hay though. She would go from a deep sleep, to digging at her bed, then nibbling something, then nodding off again. I was worried about her temp so would put a blanket over her too and kept heating up. Managed to get a bit of critical care down her and the antibiotics and by 2am ish she was a bit perkier and had eaten quite a bit inc banana, kale, coriander, parsley, hay and had drank almost first thing from a bowl.

By the morning I saw TONS of lovely little poos! All in the litter tray as well! 5 gold stars!! All perfect size and shape, one ceacal in there too but I dont blame her for not hunching over to eat that. It's quite scar under there :S

She had also eaten the broc, rest of the banana piece, all greens and some hay. She's had more greens and banana today, (I dont care at this point if it's a bit too much banana as it's SOMETHING and it lined the stomach for the pain killers) and i've seen her eat hay too. As we speak she's crashed out again on her bed!

She had such weepy eyes yesterday, they were almost stuck shut :S she didn't want to open them. Today they're a bit better and she's opening them more but the fur is as if it's partly been pulled out around there, do they tape the eyes shut!? Didn't notice this with Leo.

We're off for a checkup again at 5pm poor girly! But she's doing well so after that it wont be for another 8/9 days. Then she can finally get back to playing with Leo and hopefully become the best of friends :)

pics

last night -

1002612_10152045153976255_893502632_n.jpg

when she first got home

1461000_10152044689086255_1617956338_n.jpg

this might not work but it's a video of her when she first got back *edit* I had to just paste the link, but you should still be able to watch

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152044707786255&l=7661269775554740482

Last edited:
Yay sounds like Luna got through the procedure no bother, that's great news :) she looks nice and cosy and warm in her cage.Thanks for the update. You must be relieved the worst of it is over now :)

Aww :oops: I was so nervous, I just wanted to do everything I could to aid her recovery.. as does every bunny mummy in these sutuations !

She's so much brighter tonight after her checkup! I found out they'd thrown my blankets away because they were 'full of holes and they thought the washing machine ate them up' :S they had a few holes but, yeah but were perfectly usable! They gave me two freshly washed ones in return! So I'm not complaining, the ones they gave me are bigger :p

Poor girly wee'd herself in the carrier on the way there though, I think she thought it was all gonna happen again :(

Bed all washed and ready to go back into her recovery cage after an evening in the crate with a bit more space to stretch

988764_10152047104031255_1890581491_n.jpg

Aww she is such a pretty girl. I'm so glad everything went well :)

Back