• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possibly froze Mimzy's oral baytril? :(

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Was going to give him his morning dose and when I pulled it out of the fridge it was thick and viscous and the stuff on the bottom wouldn't mix. Usually it separates into clear and white and this was just all white with thicker white on the bottom of the vial. I've got a call in to my vets office but I'm concerned that the med is either frozen and ruined or they gave me the wrong one. This stuff reminds me of Pen-G, though it doesn't smell like it. I know Pen-G is no good for bunnies orally so I'm afraid to give him any of this.
Would Mimzy be okay not taking it today until I can go in and get a replacement? He's been on baytril for his foot lesions almost a month now.

ETA: This is a new bottle I got at his visit on Oct. 26 and it did have a long ride home (a few hours) and has been in the door of my fridge since then.

Last edited:
Baytril shouldn't be kept in the fridge. It makes it crystallise. Just keep it at room temperature.

Well, a bit late to update but, what a confusing situation. :?
I took the baytril I had back to the vet. One of the staff took the med from me and said it did look weird, so she got one of the lab techs to take a look at it. Here's what they told me:
Apparently the supplier who used to send them their stock of baytril changed and they use this new formula. Instead of having to shake it like the old one, it never separates. It's a thick suspension instead of the thinner liquid of the old supplier. You don't have to put it in the fridge, but you can if you want, it's very resilient, according to her. I did have them get a new bottle for me just in case I'd frozen mine, but the stuff I got looks the same as the last. Poor Mimz, it's chicken flavor of course :roll: but he's taking it well. He was off it for three doses so hopefully he hasn't developed resistant bacteria.
Add to this, he's having a bit of reduced hay intake. The last order I received has too many seeds in it and he doesn't like it. So no matter where I've turned this last week we've hit one obstacle or other. :( I still can't get him to let me examine much of his foot but he isn't flinching and squeaking like he did with the vet, so I'm hoping it is healing well. He's definitely doing more digging with his front feet and I got him some softer beddies to lay on, he has used them and not eaten them which is nothing short of a miracle! :D

We see his vet again on the 23rd. We've got some terrible weather coming our way all week so I hope the road is passable by then!
Thanks for all your replies :) xx

Back