• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help, Binky has been bitten :(

Oh my gosh I feel so awful for not noticing sooner :(
Binky has been bitten by Winnie.

I was brushing him as he is molting like crazy when I came across a tuft of fur. I had a check to see if it was loose and came across two red marks. Small open wounds that have scabbed over. They look pretty fresh. Today or last night I think.

Binky has been pretty determined to hump her and she has been getting aggravated. They've been together 6 months and this last month hes been mounting. I normally hear them if they have a bit of a scuffle and go to stop it right away. But I didn't hear a thing.

What do I do with them? :(
And what is best for cleaning the bite?
I know its bad but Binky was my first and I love him so, so much.
I'm devastated hes been hurt. Though he is quite happily pottering around, eating and chewing things.

Pop him to the vets to make sure it's clean. If it's bad, he may need some abx.

Are they both neutered?

My friend has suggested some salt water on a cotton wool ball and see what happens from there.
Would that suffice for now?

Yes both are neutered. Both were done at the age of 6-7 months and they are now...well Binky is 2 and Winnie will be two in a month.
I have noticed that although Binky is mounting and honking Winnie won't stay there. Like..ever. She gets up or runs off/slinks off. I'm not really sure who is in charge here, though she did used to clean him on a daily basis. She doesn't do it as often any more. His behaviour changed when they were moved upstairs temporarily while work is being done to the house. So I hope when they are moved back downstairs that he may calm down again.

Here are some pics, though it looks iffy because of the yellow. The yellow isn't one the wound itself, its a bit of skin sticking up that has dried out. It doesn't seem too deep and is on his shoulder area.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1383832046_806981be003bb49082cd3938936083c1

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1383822310_14dfd7970f44009277cdda70de1d4ce3

Do you think he may be alright with me using salt water on it and see how it is (i will check tonight and tomorrow morning again)

I think that need veterinary treatment tbh. It looks like it's starting to get infected. Can you make an appoint for today? Please don't use salt water, that will hurt him A LOT. I would just pop him to the vet. One of my buns had a very nasty bite wound on her foot that was infected, she had a course of metacam and abx and was fine within a week. It seemed to be a one off event and I think it may have been an accident. :roll:

I think your bun's bond is starting to break. When you moved them into another room, did you take some of their things that smell of them? How big is their enclosure etc? Perhaps reducing their space will help, but ultimately, I would put them in completely neutral territory and see if that helps.

If you put salt on a cut you know how much it hurts.

He needs to go to the vets to get checked over and maybe antibiotics to make sure it doesn't get infected and if it hurts also metacam.

If I take him to the vets do I take both? I've read that even if separated for a journey to the vets it can add strain to a bond.

Their cage is 3ft by 6ft and they have the bedroom to run around during the morning. They go in the cage while we're at work in the afternoon/evening. When the work is finished i'd like them pretty much free range. Unfortunately this room is all we have right now. The kitchen, bathroom, dining room have been worked on. My bedroom and the living room is full of stuff from the other rooms that currently cant be used :(

I think for that short time I wouldn't but I only have one bunny so someone else could maybe advise better. If he is kept in then I would speak to the vets and you may have to take your other bunny along.

Personally I would 100% take both.

If you only take one, the one who has been to the vets will come back smelling of vets, not of their scent so could cause even further fraction between the bond.

Oh it's so horrid when they get hurt :( Bailey and Belle had a huge fight one month into the bond. I took them both to the vets to be safe. They say you should always take both anyway.

Their wounds looked very similar. Luckily I already had some dermisol (like Savlon for animals) so I popped that on. When I got to the vets she advised dermisol too and very diluted salt water. They didn't need antibiotics.

Hope they heal well and re-bond. My two have if that helps!!

xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I agree I would take him to the vets too. This happened to my bun Tully recently. The first vet we took him to cleaned it out and gave him abx, but then told us not to bother cleaning it. We took him back 3 days later and it had got infected. The second vet cleaned it again, and told us to continue to clean it aggressively every day with hibiscrub and continue the abx.

I say aggressively as she actually used a needle to lift the scab and let the pus out - it looked aggressive to me! But I could see why when I started to clean it myself - it scabs over and traps the infection beneath the scab, so you have to keep breaking it to clean properly under it. It took longer to heal but we got there in the end.

This is Tully's wound after the second vet had cleaned it:

Hey everyone :)

Thanks for all of your replies.
He went to the vets yesterday (took both and Winnie pottered around the room while Binky was being checked over). I got the day off work unpaid so that I could take him.
Its fine, she went through all layers of skin but it doesn't seem to even be sore.
He doesn't need antibiotics but we have been given hibiscrub to use twice a day.
Clean it gently and pat dry. It looks like its healing pretty well already to be honest.
He had a one off metacam injection as well, just in case, but she ran the razor to trim his fur right over the bite and he didn't even flinch

We have to keep an eye on them, they're still together and funnily enough I haven't heard him honk or try and mount since she bit him.
If things get risky again we have to separate them but keep them in the same room and allow play time together.

Ouch! Tully's bite looks much worse than Binky's. I'm glad hes all healed up!

Do you guys think it wise for me to leave them together for the more or less 8 hours we're at work?
They seem okay around each other now, especially as he isn't trying to mount. But I can't guarantee he won't try when we're out.

Glad he is ok. :thumb:

I think if they haven't shown any other signs of fighting/scrapping, they should be ok. If you start seeing tufts of fur or anything, I would maybe separate them whilst you are at work (but where they can see each other). The thing is, even that could affect their bond. Maybe you could do a clean of their enclosure and all their litter trays/bowls etc with vinegar to neutralise it and then put them in there and watch them.

Hopefully this is the end of it, and he has learnt his lesson!

Okay, they have been left together for now. I will keep a good eye on them when home and also hope he's learned his lesson.

My issue being I have OCD and keeping thinking of all these horrible things she might do to him while I'm out if he annoys her again :(
I hope I get home later and they're both fine.
Trying my best to ignore my head.

Were they ok? :wave:

Try not to worry too much, although I know it's hard. As long as he can get away from her, he should be ok. There hasn't been signs of fighting, so hopefully it was just a one off. x

Hello again :)
Yes they were fine, thankyou for asking ^^
There haven't been any more scuffles, in fact he still hasn't tried to mount so I think he may have learned his lesson. I sure hope so.
The only time they give each other a bit of a chase is when food is being put in and thats quite normal from what i've read.

His bite is healing really quickly which is great. And yesterday morning I saw Winnie grooming his head and ears so thats fab!

He does have some new odd behaviours though. Hes leaving caecotrophs around and one of them, i'm assuming Binky, is peeing in a few odd places. Once outside the litter tray and once at the back of the run. Its only a little so do you think i'm right in assuming hes making the area smell more like him?

Hello again :)
Yes they were fine, thankyou for asking ^^
There haven't been any more scuffles, in fact he still hasn't tried to mount so I think he may have learned his lesson. I sure hope so.
The only time they give each other a bit of a chase is when food is being put in and thats quite normal from what i've read.

His bite is healing really quickly which is great. And yesterday morning I saw Winnie grooming his head and ears so thats fab!

He does have some new odd behaviours though. Hes leaving caecotrophs around and one of them, i'm assuming Binky, is peeing in a few odd places. Once outside the litter tray and once at the back of the run. Its only a little so do you think i'm right in assuming hes making the area smell more like him?

Excess cecals is usually a sign that something in his diet is upsetting his tum. It also might mean there's something going on with him. Could he maybe have a UTI (urinary tract infection). It could be that your girl noticed something wasn't right with him, and that's why she had bitten him.
My bun, Xena, leaves excess cecals when she is stressed or has too much grass/readigrass.

What's his diet atm?

Ah I thought that might be the case. He has some herbal forage I have been using to distract him while I clean his bite and I think he has been having a bit much of it. So that probably explains the caecatrophs. Will keep an eye on any more 'accidents' anywhere. I never even considered that and normally thats the sort of thing i consider straight away.
So...might have to go back to the vets for a urine test. Or i'll do what I used to and get him to pee in an empty tray, though that might not be as easy as it used to be, and then syringe that into a container for them to test.

Back