• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Devastated!

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
I took a 4 month old Dwarf Lop off a young woman on Thursday evening as they could no longer afford her. She didn't have any food left and "thought" she'd been on some flakes. So when we got home I gave her a bit of Russell. She was fine for the next 3 days, she didn't have much body on her but she was very lively and I gave her little bits of spring greens and more Russell and she was eating the hay. Sunday they all got some cabbage and I gave her a little bit. She died in the night! Now was it the cabbage, considering I have 80 rabbits who can all eat cabbage happily? Did I overfeed her compared with what she might have been getting? Or should I have tried to get the flakes that she had been on? I feel I must have brought it on somehow. On the Friday I rang the pet shop where the woman had bought her from to find out what she had been eating there and he told me she had been on Royal Rabbit (not Rabbit Royale). He said she would be ok on Russell when I told him that is what I was giving her.

She was going to be Nibbles' wifebun . I think I should have tried to get the same food she had been eating! I am so upset.

That's so sad, I'm sorry :( Try not to beat yourself up, I'm sure you didn't do anything wrong. Was she vaccinated?

Im so sorry.

If she was underweight then it is highly possible she had an underlying health problem. Given the number of rabbits you have i would want a pm done to find the exact cause of death x

That's so sad, you were only acting on the information you were given re the food etc. Makes you wonder if there was some health condition she had and that's why they gave her up?

Im so sorry.

If she was underweight then it is highly possible she had an underlying health problem. Given the number of rabbits you have i would want a pm done to find the exact cause of death x

She was indoors away from other rabbits fortunately.

how sad :( sounds like she probably had some problems already if she was so underweight and hadn't been cared for :(

soo sorry :cry: try not to blame yourself, she probrably had an underlyng condition due to being malnourished, at least her last few days where ones where she was loved and cared for xxx

Back