• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much money do you spend on your buns?

lauralittleninja

Warren Scout
Just a nosy question ....I seem to spend an awfull lot of money on my 3 buns. Im not including vets bills in my calculations . I seem to always be stopping off at the supermarket for veg or stopping for hay etc. Iv just switched from wood pellet litter to fitch in the hope to save some pennies as I was using a 30ltr bag of wood pellets in 1.5 weeks (around £10 a bag)
I will be ordering a 10kg bag of hay from timothyhay.co.uk when I run out of their current hay as I think this will save me some pennies too. I just made a pit stop at co op to get some bunny veg and also a tub of butter (obv not for bunnies!) And it came to over £7 .
Dont get me wrong I wouldnt be without my buns but I was just wondering how you guys moniter your monthly spend ?
I would just like to add that I NEVER skip vet treatments etc....I would dip into my savings if I had to.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

In the last two months I've spent close to £600, including 1 spay. One of mine is at the vets on Wednesday too so bye bye to more money :lol:

Oh my goodness. I'm scared to add it up but a small fortune! I'm always popping out to get herbs, buying new toys and housing bits on the internet for them, and with vets bills, hay (which I get through tonnes of) pellets etc it's not cheap. But they're worth it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spend about £120 a month just on hay! Another £50 on insurance. About £40 on fresh herbs/greens, and probably £20 on toys/treats. I am permanently broke!! :lol:

£60-£90 a month on hay, then random things here and there. If I added it all up I might pass out :lol:

£5 bale of hay lasts a month-ish (also eaten by g/pigs)
They get some of the veg box I get each week, so a couple of quid
1 bag of straw a month in the winter, £8
Spent £20ish on 2 x 10kg bags of science selective pellets which will see us well into the new year (no longer on offer unfortunately), probably working out at 50p a month maybe?

So a monthly cost of about £15ish? I grow my own herbs so no cost there, and I use things like loo roll tubes to make toys so that's just a byproduct of something we use anyway.

We recently bought vet bedding to replace the woodshavings we were using in the big litter tray, so nearly £30 but obviously it's washable. Previous expenses have been vets visits and neutering/spay but otherwise fairly inexpensive.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something though :?

Um, not much :oops::oops:

I buy baled hay from a farm, £8, lasts me just over a month and they love it.

I then buy timothyhay.co.uk 10kg for £22, this is very much treat hay and they get one handful per day - so the bag lasts me a few months.

Litter I buy megazorb, a bag lasts me about a month/6 weeks.

Pellets 10kg sack lasts about 6 months at least (~£20)

Just grass again lasts a few months (~£8)

They don't really get veggies, only forage, which is free

I do buy dried herbs/fenugreeks for them but this isn't a massive amount of money!

I have spent a lot of money on them recently, but only because of an accommodation upgrade

ETA: I forgot insurance - £14 per month

We got through a bale of hay in about 3 weeks - £8.00 a time, Megazorb lasts at most 2 weeks - £7.50 a time, then theres treat hays - about £20 a month. Veges, herbs cost about £25 a week and then Oxbow bunny basics T - £16.50 a bag 4.5kg, lasts about 4 months.

I guess not a lot, but then there's new toys, new mats/rugs and such.

I'd pay anything for the bunnies though, cost is irrelevant, so long as they're happy and healthy, all is well for me.

Vet fees don't go there..I will actually pay anything, I'm not rolling in money, but whatever the cost I'll pay it.. :oops:

I'd pay anything for the bunnies though, cost is irrelevant, so long as they're happy and healthy, all is well for me.

:love:

If I didn't spend so much on hay then I'd be spending it on them some other way :oops: :lol: My lot don't eat their baled hay though :evil: but I'd pay anything to make sure they don't end up with teeth like Poppy :( They would quite happily live on readigrass but I haven't told them there isn't any left yet.. :shock:

I have found a lot of stuff online that I want to get them but my bf said I can't until we go shopping on Friday, so I have enough money to spend on them then :oops::lol:

Forty euro a month for hay, food pellets, dried forage, wood pellets, treats, cleaning products etc plus 20 for the vet fund instead of paying insurance.

I have a special account set up for the bunnies for all their supplies and the vet expenses so technically the buns have their own visa card.Hehe! This was the only way to curb my spending as I was starting to leave us short. Oops :/

So altogether it's 60 euro for two buns so i guess that's 50 sterling a month.

Oh I haven't included veg as we eat tonnes of veg ourselves so it's part of our grocery shop.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
3.99 a month of pellets
8.50 on hay a month
litter i get free
disinfectant = 1.68
veg is £5 a month
plus £10 a month on toys/treats

I spend at least £2000 a year on 12 rabbits, probably more and at least £1000 of that goes on vet bills judging by the records from previous years. A bale of hay only lasts a week between 12 and its one 10Kg sack of pellets each month. Luckily we save on free newspaper but there is also the cost of equipment, furniture, security and electricity to consider. Rabbits require heavy investment so its a good job I love them so much :lol:

Up to thirty pounds a month.

22 a go on timothy hay

Pellets last ages - recently got 4 bags of ss cos it was on special offer.

I feed grass at least once a day, although they are not v keen on it lately.

veg. allowance comes out of ours (we are eating really good amounts of it since they came along).

Dont insure them so any vets bills will be extra.

Give forage and herbs quite often too. esp forage.

I've spent more than £150 just in the last month on vet bills... insurance covering that though.

£24 a month on insurance.

Other than that... I haven't had Bailey long enough to work out how much hay I'll need to get, but spent £15 a month ago on timothy hay and he's only eaten half.

£8 bag of pellets lasts about 6 weeks for both of them.

A couple of quid a week on veg.

Currently spending £10 a week on bedding/litter but I'm going to be ordering fitch/megazorb soon because £40 a month on stuff that they just !!!! on is extortionate. :shock:

I don't buy any fancy treats/toys/stuff that's marketed for them, they're not interested. They're much happier with a cardboard box and tables for shelter!

3.99 a month of pellets
8.50 on hay a month
litter i get free
disinfectant = 1.68
veg is £5 a month
plus £10 a month on toys/treats

Can I ask wot your bunnies eat veg wise ? Amounts etc ? I seem to spend loads ....mayb I am a bit generous with portion sizes !

Can I ask wot your bunnies eat veg wise ? Amounts etc ? I seem to spend loads ....mayb I am a bit generous with portion sizes !

i just feed the the spring greens from tesco you get a huge bag for 80p and at the moment its 2 bags for a pound and they get a small plate of it between them a day and anything extra they veggie wise comes from what ever the family in the house eat ; parsley, grapes , carrot e.t.c if you want the link for the spring greens let me know

I think where I go wrong is I buy them seperate stuff to us. I normally buy baby spinach , babycorn and brocoli and they get the odd carrot . My frank is so fussy though...if I run out of babycorn and just give him spinach he kinda looks at it In disgust ! Lol

Excluding vet bills, barely anything.

He gets a huge bag of hay every 2-3 weeks at £5.99. All his fresh food is foraged or bits from our greens.

I spend about £1.50 a month on toys too.

ETA Forgot pellets, less than £1 a month

I've spent more than £150 just in the last month on vet bills... insurance covering that though.

£24 a month on insurance.

Other than that... I haven't had Bailey long enough to work out how much hay I'll need to get, but spent £15 a month ago on timothy hay and he's only eaten half.

£8 bag of pellets lasts about 6 weeks for both of them.

A couple of quid a week on veg.

Currently spending £10 a week on bedding/litter but I'm going to be ordering fitch/megazorb soon because £40 a month on stuff that they just !!!! on is extortionate. :shock:

I don't buy any fancy treats/toys/stuff that's marketed for them, they're not interested. They're much happier with a cardboard box and tables for shelter!

My fitch has arrived and its a HUGE bag compared to the wood pellets! Il let u know how it lasts :)

Back