• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

reintroducing rabbits

hawalker

New Kit
I have a brother and sister rabbits and have lived together peacefully for months. Then the male started trying to hump the female so I took him to the vets to be neutered. They have been living apart now for over 6 weeks and I have tried a couple of times to reintroduce them this week and all they do is fight. I am probably doing it all wrong but I would really like them to live in the house together this winter. At the minute the female lives in a hutch in the garden and the male in their original home a large cage in the living room (and are free to roam out of the cage when I am home). I have tried letting them run around in the living room a few times but like I say they just fight and fur flies everywhere why I try to separate them :(

Any help will be really appreciated x

Are you sure your other rabbit is a female, as if it is a boy this would be the reason they are fighting. If you are sure then you will have to reintroduce them in a neutral space, where neither of them have been before. If all goes well, keep them together for a few days in this neutral area and hopefully they will be ok. Then you can allow them back into the living room. Good luck.

Is your female old enough to be spayed? You will need to 'start again' with bonding them if they have been apart for 6 weeks - and it would be much easier if you could wait until she has been spayed. How old are they?

Back