• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flemish, Continental or French Giant or a mix of all of them I need help!

andy5898

Warren Scout
After the weekend and we picked up our 7th rescue bunny who got married to my 7 year old little girl bunny quite apt really now I look at the numbers. Whilst we were picking him up after the successful bonding we met a giant Rabbit who we fell in love with. She washed me she let my daughter cuddle her and was as good as they come.
So it got us thinking we don't want a dog but a giant house bunny seems to fit in right about now. We know we want a giant and have found one which is cross between a French and Continental or we have also found a Flemish.
We read up how ideally a baby is better as you then bring it up how you want it too be. And it will use to be being handled as we want it to be a well loved and tame bunny.

I just wanted ideas as to which breed is better as a house/ family giant bunny. Ideally I am hoping a baby one turns up in a rescue, but I have seen babies needing homes but before we say yes to anything wanted to research the breeds first!

Cheers

Having a Baby will give absolutely no guarantee that the Rabbit will 'grow up as you want' !! Once any Rabbit hits puberty their character can change and whilst neutering can help calm hormonal driven behaviour a Baby cuddly Bunny will never guarantee a cuddly adult Bunny

An adult will already have an established character and if from a reputable Rescue he/she will also already be neutered and vaccinated.

As for which Giant Breed, in my experience many Giants are generally chilled so I would go for the individual Giant's character rather than their specific breed.

Good luck :)

As Jane says, any buns can be house buns, some buns really aren't suited (because they are destructobuns!), regardless of breed.
I have 2 Contis, and I would have loved them to be house buns but we already have 2 downstairs where it is bunny-proofed. They were upstairs for a while when they were poorly but they were VERY norty. They are now outside, and happy I think. I'd still love to have them downstairs if we could though.

Exactly as Jane says! You'd be better off getting an adult from a rescue where they can tell you the buns character and you can see if they are cuddly or not.

As Jane says, any buns can be house buns, some buns really aren't suited (because they are destructobuns!), regardless of breed.
I have 2 Contis, and I would have loved them to be house buns but we already have 2 downstairs where it is bunny-proofed. They were upstairs for a while when they were poorly but they were VERY norty. They are now outside, and happy I think. I'd still love to have them downstairs if we could though.

I wanted to add that I love the picture of Willow and Nettle on your sig, they look a right pair! Definitely norty buns! :lol:

I agree with Jane too! Rescues often have youngsters in (as you know) and will be able to give support and advice.

Best of luck. What an exciting plan!

Back