• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about Bonfire Night

Fennic

Warren Scout
We've got 3 indoor buns, I honestly can't remember last year being a problem with my first doe, but just tonight people were setting them off, while we were in the kitchen having a free range, they scatted everywhere. This areas renound for the amount thats set off on Nov 5th, I know they're bound to be panicing, I don't intend to go out this year since I've seen them panic in this manner. (despite it being our 8th year anniversary, he feels the same about this) Any ideas to try and keep them calm? I was thinking of having some music or the likes up loud(ish) to try and avoid the consistent bangings it's their first bonfire night. Any thoughts?

Music sounds a good idea to me. Where are they kept in the house? Are they used to hearing the tv? Perhaps some talk radio would be calming for them if they are used to talking on the telly?

They're both used to the TV yes. I'm just worried that they may be "too" used to it for the fact that it may not drown out the sounds enough for them.

I think they will feel safer if they were in their cage because when they are free ranging their instincts tell them to run for cover.

Inside I'd just provide them with a cosy hideyhole, close the blinds/curtains so the flashes don't disturb them, try and muffle the sounds as much as possible and put the radio/tv on quietly. I'd also provide yummy noms to try and take their mind off it, maybe a new toy or something as well?

Keep a careful eye on their input and output, as well. Sadly it's quite common for rabbits to go into stasis after fireworks :( 2 of my 3 are outdoors and they've had small, dark and hard poos today and yesterday because of the fireworks :( My indoor one (who is only indoor at the moment because he's spent the last week at the vets in the warm and it's too cold to put him straight back outside) is fine, had no poo problems and is enjoying pooing all over the kitchen as I type this :roll::lol:

Back