• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question (graphic photos), About What This Thing Is.

HayzBCFC

New Kit
Firstly, to say, I have taken mums rabbit, Justin to the vets as soon as we noticed this problem, the first picture is on the day (Wednesday) we took him to the vets (was taken after the visit), the second was a day after and the last one was taken today. While at the vets they were unsure (they did say could be fleas, mites or something else) of what this was, and was hoping other owners could shed some light? We were given antibiotics, a pain killer and some stuff to clean the wound. There is white stuff coming out of the wound when we clean it out, which we do twice a day as instructed. Could you please, she'd any light? Thank you. I am also sorry for the graphic pictures.

Taken on 30th Oct
ajaqu6ut.jpg

Taken on 31st Oct
ny2y4uta.jpg

Taken 3rd Nov
e9u3ada7.jpg

Oh my goodness! Poor bun!

That looks like an untreated wound that has turned into an abscess to me. The white stuff that is coming out is probably pus from the infection. Is it possible that the bun could have hurt himself or been hurt recently? Maybe bitten by a companion or impaled on some sharp wire from squeezing under a run or the like?

Hope he feels better soon.

Oh my goodness! Poor bun!

That looks like an untreated wound that has turned into an abscess to me. The white stuff that is coming out is probably pus from the infection. Is it possible that the bun could have hurt himself or been hurt recently? Maybe bitten by a companion or impaled on some sharp wire from squeezing under a run or the like?

Hope he feels better soon.

He's on his own, and we've looked at the cage, and even his run, and there is nothing in the cage or run that is dangerous. When we had him nurtured, the vet did a check up first, before the appointment to have him nurtured and he was fine, could he have got something when he was nurtured, in the recovery room of the vets? Could've a garden spider bit him? - there was a spider by his cage, for a few weeks, but I honestly thought nothing of it? This is upsetting mum, cause she cleans Justin's cage at least three times a day, and feels really bad that it's happened to her, but I told her, it could happen to everyone.

To the other poster, sorry, I can't see your name, as I'm on the iPad app, it's on his side, by the front leg.

We have another appointment at the vets tomorrow, to see how the wound has heeled, but it doesn't stop my mum worrying about it, he is alright in himself, I mean in bouncing around, but we have to feed him via supplements cause he refuses to eat his hay.

is there any chance he is biting himself? i have asked someone who is very experienced and knowledgeable when it comes to rabbits- she is on here as The Duchess- will see what she says- she has a female rabbit that self mutilates and it looks similar to me but will see

also has he been checked for parasites that could make him over grooom or bite at himself to relieve itching?

Where about is the wound, it could be a reaction to a Baytril injection if he was given one after neutering, it can sometimes occur.

He's on his own, and we've looked at the cage, and even his run, and there is nothing in the cage or run that is dangerous. When we had him nurtured, the vet did a check up first, before the appointment to have him nurtured and he was fine, could he have got something when he was nurtured, in the recovery room of the vets? Could've a garden spider bit him? - there was a spider by his cage, for a few weeks, but I honestly thought nothing of it? This is upsetting mum, cause she cleans Justin's cage at least three times a day, and feels really bad that it's happened to her, but I told her, it could happen to everyone.

To the other poster, sorry, I can't see your name, as I'm on the iPad app, it's on his side, by the front leg.

We have another appointment at the vets tomorrow, to see how the wound has heeled, but it doesn't stop my mum worrying about it, he is alright in himself, I mean in bouncing around, but we have to feed him via supplements cause he refuses to eat his hay.

:wave:

is there any chance he is biting himself? i have asked someone who is very experienced and knowledgeable when it comes to rabbits- she is on here as The Duchess- will see what she says- she has a female rabbit that self mutilates and it looks similar to me but will see

also has he been checked for parasites that could make him over grooom or bite at himself to relieve itching?

We will ask the vet this tomorrow, is there a test for this? If so will it hurt him? I'd hate to put him through any more trauma. One thing we were giving to do parasites were spot treatment (we got them from the vet on Wednesday).

Thanks for the suggestions, when we did ask if it could be self mutilation, we were told no it can't be that. But talking to mum this afternoon, she believes it is self mutilation, so, I will be saying about it again tomorrow, surely, if it's not parasites, it's got to point itself to self mutilation.

We will ask the vet this tomorrow, is there a test for this? If so will it hurt him? I'd hate to put him through any more trauma. One thing we were giving to do parasites were spot treatment (we got them from the vet on Wednesday).

Thanks for the suggestions, when we did ask if it could be self mutilation, we were told no it can't be that. But talking to mum this afternoon, she believes it is self mutilation, so, I will be saying about it again tomorrow, surely, if it's not parasites, it's got to point itself to self mutilation.

take a look here- i poster on there but she probably hasnt seen it yet- this is her rescue bunny Ellie
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.400481216662278.88011.224203434290058&type=3

also is your vet rabbit savvy? some are better with bunnies than others but im sure if you wanted a second opinion we could try and suggest one near you:wave:

Last edited:
take a look here- i poster on there but she probably hasnt seen it yet- this is her rescue bunny Ellie
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.400481216662278.88011.224203434290058&type=3

also is your vet rabbit savvy? some are better with bunnies than others but im sure if you wanted a second opinion we could try and suggest one near you:wave:

The vet we saw is more for dogs, and cats, she was the only one we could see in an emergency, as his normal vet (which is in Cardiff), is on holiday for two weeks.

If it is self mutilation, then it could be due to pain or irritation, but it also could be due to boredom. What's the buns set up like?

It's tricky to tell exactly where it is from the photo, but Scamp's reacted to injections a couple of times. Both times it was on his side rather than right at the top, and the first time the wound tracked down his side and on to his chest like the liquid had run down under the skin.

It makes quite a nasty looking wound about the size of a 50p and it's itchy so he tends to make it worse with his teeth. It might be the worst bit is the original wound/scab and the soreness around it is self mutilation. Both times I've found them much slower than a normal wound to heal. He had a bout of stasis a month ago and reacted to one injection and he's has now just got it down to a pea sized wound.

This is how his started, then a few days later the darker areas all turned into a big scab.

IMG_2541b.jpg

I had two thoughts, one was self mutilation as others have suggested. One of our rabbits did that and it looked like this

P1030540.jpg

The other was some type of skin cancer. Another rabbit had a much smaller place which was cancerous and it looked like this

PA200839.jpg

BunnySoreSpot.jpg

the difference between them to touch but what doesn't show in the picture is that the cancer was more raised up from the skin.

i hope you get some answers soon x

If it is self mutilation, then it could be due to pain or irritation, but it also could be due to boredom. What's the buns set up like?

He's in a large cage, with about three/four times. He used to go out in the run, but as the cold weather has settled in we can't have him out the back. Is there a run, you could get for inside the house, so he can come inside the house? Cause mum wouldn't want him cold outside in the run.

Thank you so much for the pictures and advise. Mum would post herself, but she isn't tech savvy.

Rabbits deal well with the cold, so I wouldn't worry that he is cold as long as you give him plenty of hay/straw/bedding and a box for him to hide in to keep warm. Can you or your Mum get a tarpaulin for his run? This means that the floor will stay relatively dry, although it's best to have a run on concrete so that no predators can get in and he doesn't dig out. Concrete also means less mud. :thumb:

Don't bring him inside and then put him out. The massive temperature difference at this time of year can cause nasty respiratory infections, he will be more at risk because of him not being 100% healthy. Your Mum could always bring him in for the winter, though, and give him a large puppy pen or even let him free range in a bedroom that has been bunny proofed.

Sending him lots of vibes. x

ouch, that looks sore. sorry i can't offer any advice but i hope you can find out what it is and get some treatment. :wave:

To me this looks like a skin lesion with a secondary infection.
I think it needs a biopsy taking.
It appears rather like Hugo's There's 2nd & 3rd pics.
I also had a similar scenario with my original bun.
How old is Justin?

Rabbits deal well with the cold, so I wouldn't worry that he is cold as long as you give him plenty of hay/straw/bedding and a box for him to hide in to keep warm. Can you or your Mum get a tarpaulin for his run? This means that the floor will stay relatively dry, although it's best to have a run on concrete so that no predators can get in and he doesn't dig out. Concrete also means less mud. :thumb:

Don't bring him inside and then put him out. The massive temperature difference at this time of year can cause nasty respiratory infections, he will be more at risk because of him not being 100% healthy. Your Mum could always bring him in for the winter, though, and give him a large puppy pen or even let him free range in a bedroom that has been bunny proofed.

Sending him lots of vibes. x

Thanks for the advise.

KB, he is two years old now, we got him when he was a year old.

OK so still a young bun.
I still think a biopsy or a skin scraping is in order.

Back