• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Found one random maggot on floor?! *photo*

jazxo

Mama Doe
After sweeping out the bunnies area I was sitting down stroking one of them and out of the corner of my eye saw something moving. A maggot. I'm utterly horrified. I disinfect the litter tray twice daily, sweep the floor daily, check bunnies bums daily and basically do everything to make sure things like this do not happen. I've checked both bunnies thoroughly and there's absolutely nothing on them. I never ever see flies in my room, not even in the summer. I'm so confused as to how this has happened. I've checked behind and under everything and haven't found anything.

DSC01540_zps2a3465ef.jpg

Is there a possibility it could have come from the hay they eat? I use Hay for Pets timothy and rye. If so, what should I do?

Has anyone had anything like this happen before?

I'm in an absolute state over this and won't be getting any sleep tonight unless I have an answer as to why this bloody maggot is here :cry:

I'm not an expert but I *think* it's just a grub rather than a maggot. Was it big or small?

If it is a grub, it won't harm your buns, grubs are moth/beetle larvae and usually live on plants or rotten vegetation. I think if there are no signs of others and all buns look "maggot" free, then I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm not an expert but I *think* it's just a grub rather than a maggot. Was it big or small?

If it is a grub, it won't harm your buns, grubs are moth/beetle larvae and usually live on plants or rotten vegetation. I think if there are no signs of others and all buns look "maggot" free, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Oh thank god. Do you think this has come from the hay? Or just somewhere in my room?
It was about just less than 1cm long?

Hmm. It could have been from the hay, or it could have come in on somebody's shoe or anything.

Just keep a close eye on them and make sure they are well, do regular bum checks too.

Even if it was a maggot, if they are kept clean and they have no problems with mucky bums, they should hopefully be ok. :)

I'm the only one that comes in this room and never come in here with shoes on. Still panicking about it so much! Hopefully this is just a one off.

They are very clean bunnies and I'll carry on with my daily checks.

Thanks for your help :)

I got one of these ages ago in my timothy and rye hay.
I googled it and it's a particular type of moth I think, they live in hay and other quite dry places.
There was only the one in the hay so we didn't get infested by them or anything :wave:

Yup it looks like a moth larvae to me :wave: I had them in my room once when I was a kid, I saw the whole cycle, I trapped a moth under a glass because it woke me up fluttering around. Next morning there was a cluster of eggs stuck to the bedside table under the glass :shock: they hatched into things that looked very similar!

I found some more a few weeks later eating the carpet :shock::shock::shock:

Luckily I never saw them again and it wasn't an infestation... Though I did Hoover extra thoroughly for a while :lol:

I wouldn't worry, it could be in your room anyway or come in with the hay. Either way keep your eyes open but I doubt your buns are at risk.

I found a pic that looked similar ... http://museumvictoria.com.au/discov...tre-news/2008-archive/maggots-on-the-ceiling/

I'm so relieved! Thanks so much for your replies :) checked over the bunnies this morning and they're fine and can't see anymore wiggly things anywhere! Phew.

I agree with the others, it doesn't look like a maggot, it looks like a little caterpillar to me, phew!

Back