• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mucky bum help please

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
How is best to wash it? Bearing mind bunny with said mucky bum hates to be handled, I've just tried to get a proper look but she's having none of it.

Definitely diet related however just can't seem to get the right balance. :( Everything I have tried she still gets a mucky bum, probably doesn't help that she's fluffy.

I tried washing my bunny's bum with cotton wool whilst my partner was holding him, didn't work very well. I ended up badly scratched and his bum didn't get much cleaner and it was very stressful for everyone.

Had much better results when I put some lukewarm water in the bath with some soap and just put him in, mind you I didn't put that much water in, just enough for his bottom to get wet. He hated it but was splashing around so much that his bum actually got a bit cleaner. I had to stop him from jumping out of the bath but managed to wipe his bum with a sponge as well whilst he was in there. Even though he hated the bath it was a lot quicker and less stressful for both him and me than the cotton wool wash.

Good luck!

What about warm water in a shallow litter tray?

You could get someone to help (hopefully) and wash her with a cloth or soft brush.

Hope it goes ok.

I used to have a dirty bum bunny - she often needed "bathed". I sat her in an old basin with warm soapy water and just gently wiped the stuff off. It was not my favourite job :lol: She hated it at first, and used to splash and scratch wildly (probably because she was frightened) but she got used to it.

we used to put Harley in the bath with a rubber mat so he wouldn't slip - then use the shower head underneath him and wash him with a soapy hand underneath - he didn't get toooo wet and then we'd gently rub his backside with an old towel - with Harley it wasn't a diet issue just an extremely fluffy bum issue which has now been resolved after a good clean and a massive trim to get all the old muck out of his fur x

washing up bowl, lukewarm water about an inch deep, bunny bubble bath (can't remember the make, got it from p@h). they love it. lots of towels and their own hairdryer for afterwards. also my special two pairs of hairdressing scissors esp for matted hair on bunny botties.

i don't have special bunny shampoo at the moment :( will just the water be ok or should i use something like shampoo?? don't know if that would be too harsh for bunny skin :shock: i've got some alberto balsam apple :lol:

trying to psyche myself to go and do it, i will just have to go into the shed, grab her and hold her in the washing up bowl... if she fits in the bowl! need to block off all the hidey holes else she will run!

washing up bowl, lukewarm water about an inch deep, bunny bubble bath (can't remember the make, got it from p@h). they love it. lots of towels and their own hairdryer for afterwards. also my special two pairs of hairdressing scissors esp for matted hair on bunny botties.

Exactly what I did when I needed to, except I used plain water.

I clear the draining board and put a thick towel on it to immediately wrap up to dry after the shallow bath.

it was a flippin nightmare, ended up with a wet bunny balancing on my back, O/H came to help and TBH I was worried about some of the clumps so we will be booking her in to the vet for them to have a look, I don't want to pull or cut something if it's a gland or something, she wasn't happy with me at all! :oops:

Back